Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 8 Guests

TV Times

This thread currently has 14,333 views. Print
32 Pages Prev ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 Next All Recommend Thread
Manchester Mariner
October 18, 2023, 8:56pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from Sandford1981

Detectorists
9/10

A bit of a strange coincidence but I was just describing Detectorists (which I only started today) to my other half. I found it difficult to sell beyond a feeling. The only thing I could liken it to was watching Bob Ross Joy of Painting. There’s somehow a peace to it and it’s so calming.
Beautifully written and acted-it’s an absolute delight!!

I often describe Detectorists as a mildly comedic Countryfile. It's hilarious but just mildly so.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 280 - 318
Sandford1981
October 18, 2023, 9:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

I often describe Detectorists as a mildly comedic Countryfile. It's hilarious but just mildly so.

Yeah I get that totally!👍🏻
Obviously Tony Robinson gets a mention in it but it’s like a   Funny ‘time team’
The main characters seem so real as if your watching a ‘Gone Fishing’ style programme on metal detectors (DETECTORISTS!!!!)

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 281 - 318
ginnywings
October 18, 2023, 10:28pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Detectorists is fantastic. Watched it for the second time recently and it was just as good as I remember.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 282 - 318
Manchester Mariner
October 18, 2023, 11:05pm

Exile
Quoted from ginnywings
Detectorists is fantastic. Watched it for the second time recently and it was just as good as I remember.

Yep, I just happened to catch a repeat around 10ish on BBC2 one weekday evening and then went to the Iplayer to watch it all again.

Private Message
Reply: 283 - 318
Sandford1981
October 21, 2023, 7:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
I have to say the reactions to Sheila’s lemonade has me giggling my head off!
It’s so subtle but brilliantly done. Bloody smiling at my phone as I type this for Gods sake!

Private Message
Reply: 284 - 318
Sandford1981
November 17, 2023, 3:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Condor
8/10

A brilliant, young, idealistic CIA analyst finds himself in the middle of a conspiracy that kills everyone else at his office. Can he, with no field experience, stay alive long enough to get to the bottom of it?

I haven’t seen the film or read the book on which this series is based so I’m judging it purely on its own merits.
Granted it is not Homeland or The Americans but I wouldn’t let that get in the way of a very enjoyable series.
The second series is not as good as the first and the last few episodes of the second isn’t as good as anything that went before it but for my money it’s worth a watch still.

Private Message
Reply: 285 - 318
ginnywings
November 17, 2023, 8:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
The Beiderbecke Affair/Tapes/Connection Trilogy by Alan Plater and starring James Bolam and Barbara Flynn, which I first watched in the 80's and is available on ITV player. 8/10

Really enjoyed this the first time around, almost 40 years ago since the first one was aired.  

It stands up well with excellent writing and acting all round and I enjoyed watching them all again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 286 - 318
Sandford1981
November 28, 2023, 12:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Lockerbie
9.5/10

270 people were killed in Britain's deadliest terror attack on Pan Am flight 103. This powerful docuseries explores the tragedy's aftermath and the questions still haunting those impacted, 35 years on.

Being only 7 at the time my only frame of reference for this was snippets in the papers and news in the intervening years. This is an in depth look through the eyes of those connected to the victims and the subsequent investigations from both sides of the pond. This format is nothing new but this was an outstanding documentary series.
There is so much intrigue because the case is intoxicating, complex and emotional. Out of the most dire and inhumane circumstances there are threads of humanity at its best. It’s this that makes the story for me before you scratch beneath the murky surface of what really went on.
The gentleman Jim Swire who is essentially the main structure for the story is an absolute inspiration. There is a pending 6 part drama to be made which potentially could be brilliant if done in the same vein as Chernobyl.

Private Message
Reply: 287 - 318
Sandford1981
December 12, 2023, 11:18am
Fine Wine Drinker
The Boat Story
7.5/10

Two hard-up strangers stumble across a haul of cocaine on a shipwrecked boat. After agreeing to sell it and split the cash, they become entangled with police, masked hitmen and a sharp-suited gangster known as 'The Tailor'.

I really didn’t expect this type of programme from the BBC. It’s ultra violent, mad as a box of frogs with some great bits of black humour in it. I couldn’t work out the first episode and it was only half way through the second that it stopped jarring with me. After that I enjoyed it in the main although it’s probably an episode or two too long.
I really like Daisy Haggard anyway and she’s good but Craig Fairbrass holds it all together and I really liked his performance.
It’s not the greatest thing you’ll ever see but it’s entertaining nonetheless.

Private Message
Reply: 288 - 318
Manchester Mariner
December 12, 2023, 11:48am

Exile
Just finished Irvine Welsh's Crime. Thoroughly enjoyed it despite nearly veering into silliness during the second series. Despite dealing with some horrific crimes as you'd expect in the serious crime squad you can tell it's Irvine Welsh as it still manages to bring humour to proceedings.

8/10

Private Message
Reply: 289 - 318
32 Pages Prev ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.