3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Humbercod
February 22, 2021, 3:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,487
Gold Stars: 82
For years I had an excellent dentist until his retirement a few years back, since then the practice has employed Eastern Europeanā€™s that have done an ok job.
Now Iā€™ve noticed that my duration time in the chair seem to be getter shorter and shorter, with my last visit lasting less than 5mins! I didnā€™t even get a scrape and polish which Iā€™ve always had on past check ups.
Now Iā€™ve questioned the practice who confirm that the dentist are self employed but they deny any time constraints.
So Iā€™d like to know do they get a price per patient or will they be on some kind of day rate. And do you think 5 mins is acceptable no matter how good a condition my teeth are in?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Sandford1981
February 22, 2021, 3:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Humbercod
For years I had an excellent dentist until his retirement a few years back, since then the practice has employed Eastern Europeanā€™s that have done an ok job.
Now Iā€™ve noticed that my duration time in the chair seem to be getter shorter and shorter, with my last visit lasting less than 5mins! I didnā€™t even get a scrape and polish which Iā€™ve always had on past check ups.
Now Iā€™ve questioned the practice who confirm that the dentist are self employed but they deny any time constraints.
So Iā€™d like to know do they get a price per patient or will they be on some kind of day rate. And do you think 5 mins is acceptable no matter how good a condition my teeth are in?

Which practice is this?

ā€œI know writers who use subtext and theyā€™re all cowards.ā€ ā€“Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
mariner91
February 22, 2021, 3:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Humbercod

They might be on a day rate if theyā€™re locum but no dentist gets paid per patient on the NHS. As for  the time taken to examine you, impossible to say if 5 minutes is enough. You might have one tooth, you might have 32. You might have a stable dentition, you might not. Impossible to answer without more information.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
Stadium
February 22, 2021, 5:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Impossible to estimate between patients.
Experience of the dentist,number of teeth,existing & new issues etc etc.

My recent check up was around the same time,scale & polish scheduled for another day when the hygienist attends the practice.

ā€œThere's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.ā€- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
DB
February 22, 2021, 5:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,031
Gold Stars: 390
Mariner you said on another thread about dental charges :-

Quoted Text
More time taken, better materials used, better laboratory and potentially more difficult procedure. Some materials are not paid for by the NHS. Now Iā€™ve absolutely no idea what they were charging for but that sort of price would suggest to me either an upper and lower cobalt chrome denture (canā€™t get it made with cobalt chrome on the NHS) or multiple crowns or bridgework. Again, there are many materials that cannot be used for NHS when it comes to crowns and bridges. The Ā£250 charge (would have been Ā£282 if recent) is a band 3 treatment on the NHS which includes anything that needs a laboratory to make something. On the NHS the dentist gets 12 UDAs (units of dental activity) for any band 3 but you only get 12 no matter how many crowns (for example) you fit. The local average payment to the dentist is about Ā£12 per UDA so a crown gets around Ā£140 and the lab cost of the crown is approximately Ā£30 to the dentist. If you have to fit three crowns the lab cost will be Ā£90 but you still only get  around Ā£140 in payment meaning youā€™ve spent probably a couple of hours doing difficult work for not much money when you consider the high demand and high levels of skill necessary to perform the task. Which is why the UDA system is bad for patients because it encourages ā€˜managed neglectā€™ potentially.

If youā€™re going to cast aspersions as to a profession being money grabbers then please at least have some basic understanding of what youā€™re talking about.

This was in response to my comment about the difference  of Ā£250 NHS to Ā£1,700 private charge. From your above statement your far up on dental charges than I will ever be.

This was a simple case of arithmetic and as far is known the treatment for the prices was the same. Their was nothing extra stated for the private work and the descriptions matched. The dentist was English, worked at the practise for several years as a sole NHS practice that is converting to a private practice like others in Grimsby. As far as I know the practice is a partnership so exact ownership details are hard to find.

They have the same amount of staff and apart from covid nothing else has changed. I just find it hard under the circumstances for a practice to justify a higher price, about 600% higher. I don't know what other think but the term rip off comes to mind.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
Sandford1981
February 22, 2021, 6:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Which dentist are we talking about DB?

ā€œI know writers who use subtext and theyā€™re all cowards.ā€ ā€“Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
mariner91
February 22, 2021, 7:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from DB
Mariner you said on another thread about dental charges :-

This was in response to my comment about the difference  of Ā£250 NHS to Ā£1,700 private charge. From your above statement your far up on dental charges than I will ever be.

This was a simple case of arithmetic and as far is known the treatment for the prices was the same. Their was nothing extra stated for the private work and the descriptions matched. The dentist was English, worked at the practise for several years as a sole NHS practice that is converting to a private practice like others in Grimsby. As far as I know the practice is a partnership so exact ownership details are hard to find.

They have the same amount of staff and apart from covid nothing else has changed. I just find it hard under the circumstances for a practice to justify a higher price, about 600% higher. I don't know what other think but the term rip off comes to mind.

Unless you know what the treatment offered was then you canā€™t call it a rip off. Different cars cost a different amount but do the same job but people accept that an Aston Martin is worth more than a Fiat Punto. Why is this different?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
DB
February 22, 2021, 7:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981
Which dentist are we talking about DB?

I believe it's now called Dentology, Hainton Ave.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
DB
February 22, 2021, 7:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91

Unless you know what the treatment offered was then you canā€™t call it a rip off. Different cars cost a different amount but do the same job but people accept that an Aston Martin is worth more than a Fiat Punto. Why is this different?

I understand your point but all I know is that it is like for like treatment, hence a rip off.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
mariner91
February 22, 2021, 7:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
You donā€™t even know what the treatment is or what the treatment offered is but itā€™s a ā€˜like for likeā€™. Laughable. As I said before thereā€™s different materials, different labs, different techniques for every thing and some wonā€™t be available on the NHS. Even when something is offered privately different types of crown will have a different price.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
DB
February 22, 2021, 8:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from mariner91
You donā€™t even know what the treatment is or what the treatment offered is but itā€™s a ā€˜like for likeā€™. Laughable. As I said before thereā€™s different materials, different labs, different techniques for every thing and some wonā€™t be available on the NHS. Even when something is offered privately different types of crown will have a different price.

At the end of the day the consumption of food, which teeth are designed for, is basically the same regardless of labs, dental techniques, materials and cost. If you pay Ā£250 or Ā£1,700 for treatment the food we consume will not know the difference.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
mariner91
February 22, 2021, 8:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Okay pal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
Humbercod
February 22, 2021, 8:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
My Dentist is the Dental Design Studio on Grimsby Road, formally run by the brilliant doctor Bull and his wife. I have all my teeth and they are in good contrition. In over 35 years as a patient there Iā€™ve always had some kind of scale and polish.
But this time she just poked at my teeth for a couple of minutes then said ā€˜good job your teeth are greatā€™ that was it! I didnā€™t even get to rinse out with the pink mouth wash stuff.
I think for Ā£21.80 they could factor in a scale and polish as part of a basic check up, or have times changed if youā€™re teeth are ok thatā€™s it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
Abdul19
February 22, 2021, 8:56pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,563
Gold Stars: 216
You want polish but not Polish  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
Humbercod
February 22, 2021, 10:11pm
Cocktail Drinker
Would of been funny if she was Polish šŸ™‚
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
ginnywings
February 23, 2021, 10:48pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Humbercod
My Dentist is the Dental Design Studio on Grimsby Road, formally run by the brilliant doctor Bull and his wife. I have all my teeth and they are in good contrition. In over 35 years as a patient there Iā€™ve always had some kind of scale and polish.
But this time she just poked at my teeth for a couple of minutes then said ā€˜good job your teeth are greatā€™ that was it! I didnā€™t even get to rinse out with the pink mouth wash stuff.
I think for Ā£21.80 they could factor in a scale and polish as part of a basic check up, or have times changed if youā€™re teeth are ok thatā€™s it?

They do. I get a scale and polish with my basic check up, but not every time I go. Only if my dentist deems it necessary, which isn't very often.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
FishOutOfWater
March 4, 2021, 4:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from DB

I believe it's now called Dentology, Hainton Ave.

Was that formely Burrell's?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 25
DB
March 4, 2021, 4:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Was that formely Burrell's?

Yes

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
FishOutOfWater
March 4, 2021, 6:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from DB

Yes

I wasn't sure

I used to know both Ian and his brother Keith indirectly through an ex girlfriend who worked there as a dental nurse

I've just noticed that there was a bit of a to-do a few years back with them.... not very good publicity really

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-38759000

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 25
KingstonMariner
March 4, 2021, 6:47pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I avoid the dentist for the very reason I hate having a scale and polish. Teeth bloody hurt after that. The only upside is that the one I usually see is an attractive (East European) woman who has a ā€˜you naughty boyā€™ tone when she tells me to floss more šŸ˜.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
Humbercod
March 4, 2021, 7:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I avoid the dentist for the very reason I hate having a scale and polish. Teeth bloody hurt after that. The only upside is that the one I usually see is an attractive (East European) woman who has a ā€˜you naughty boyā€™ tone when she tells me to floss more šŸ˜.

Whereā€™s your Dentist? Asking for a friend!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
KingstonMariner
March 4, 2021, 7:13pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Humbercod

Kingston-upon-Thames. Bit further than Grimsby Road. Sheā€™s not that hot!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
DB
March 4, 2021, 7:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I wasn't sure

I used to know both Ian and his brother Keith indirectly through an ex girlfriend who worked there as a dental nurse

I've just noticed that there was a bit of a to-do a few years back with them.... not very good publicity really

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-3875900

I read that but I believe, no evidence, from the write up it was more to do with the 2 foreign dentists. However all I can do is praise the staff. I see Tim Stokes and found him very reassuring. I was petrified of dentists and could smell ether every time I went in. The memories of bad experiences as a  child. Doesn't happen now but it did for near on 15 years!!!!. Again I can only praise Tim.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
DB
March 4, 2021, 7:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Humbercod

I don't think Dentology are taking NHS anymore.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
ginnywings
March 4, 2021, 7:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Wuss!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
FishOutOfWater
March 4, 2021, 11:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from DB

I read that but I believe, no evidence, from the write up it was more to do with the 2 foreign dentists. However all I can do is praise the staff. I see Tim Stokes and found him very reassuring. I was petrified of dentists and could smell ether every time I went in. The memories of bad experiences as a  child. Doesn't happen now but it did for near on 15 years!!!!. Again I can only praise Tim.

Can't pass any comment or judgement on Tim Stokes

I only knew the Burrell brothers back in the day

I guess dentists like are like most service professionals you deal with.... if you like the way they deal with you and you get good service, then there's no point in looking elsewhere
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Dental question šŸ™‹ā€ā™‚ļø

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.