Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Vegans taking the Main Stand and Pontoon?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 260 Guests

Vegans taking the Main Stand and Pontoon?

This thread currently has 3,446 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
February 10, 2021, 10:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
Other than my general objection to building on green land and to Forest Green Rovers in general i think its a cracking looking stadium. Timber a highly sustainable resource, visibly looks so much better than what else you may get....identikit concrete and steel box / bowl that is fking freezing in winter.
I thought when it was first muted though it was a much bigger capacity than 5000 ?  I know they dont get many in but unless its easily extendedable by design then its hardly fitting of the chairmans vision to grow the club.

As much as you may not like him or them, they have moved that club forward alot further than our own visionary JF did. Vince has had the club 10 yrs ......took them on when they escaped relegation from the conference only due to other clubs falling foul of rule breaking/ finances, since then 3 play off campaigns, promoted , another subsequent play off campaign in League 2 , currently sitting 2nd in the league with a new ground approved and ready to move to infrastructure building stage before stadium construction.....with the aim of Championship football.

With his track record i believe him......oh for a chairman with the drive, ambition and business mind to achieve that.....instead of

Great Coates, Peaks Parkway, Freeman St , Championship in 5yrs, ice rink, hotels, new training facilities...blah blah fking blah.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 20
Stadium
February 10, 2021, 10:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Withnail
Say what you like about Dale Vince - personally I wouldn't want meat products to be banned from BP just because the chairman is a vegan - but the national and international news coverage FGR have received under his tenure is nothing short of phenominal. They've been featured on BBC Radio 4's Today programme (the BBC's flagship news and current affairs programme, for frick's sake), BBC Breakfast, The One Show and have had positive coverage in countless national newspapers.

Wouldn't it be great if Town had similar national exposure across such a wide range of media for being forward thinking, rather than for inviting convicted fraudsters into the club and Covid darts?

For what it's worth, I think the stadium looks great as well.

This.
And the stadium looks excellent.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 20
KingstonMariner
February 10, 2021, 11:14pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Looks great. And the carbon footprint claim is sound until you factor in the fact it is miles from anywhere.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 20
RexFannies
February 10, 2021, 11:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +517
Gold Stars: 5
Imagine the splinters

The Only Way Is Up
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 13 - 20
RichMariner
February 11, 2021, 9:02am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,160
Gold Stars: 211
Just goes to show that each new football ground needs a USP.

Going back to the days when new stadiums weren't a thing — and I know this is nostalgia, and they weren't as safe as they are now — they all looked unique. You could immediately identify them from an aerial shot, or just a glimpse from the outside.

If you got rid of the lettering on the seats, you'd be hard pushed to separate one from another these days (Shrewsbury, Colchester, etc).

An iconic stadium on the docks would get media attention — if only in the short term — but you'd also like to wow visiting supporters and give fans of bigger clubs a reason to come to Grimsby, other than for the fish and chips.

As others have said, I don't like FGR for a number of reasons (my missus doesn't trust Dale Vince because of his pony tail) but he knows how to bring positive attention on his club.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 14 - 20
Son of Cod
February 11, 2021, 9:51am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Totally agree with those saying it looks great. I remember the planning application getting rejected a few years ago, but didn't realised they'd redone it. Good to see that it's actually going ahead now. Won't be cheap if it's being designed by Zaha Hadid though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 20
moosey_club
February 11, 2021, 5:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Son of Cod
Totally agree with those saying it looks great. I remember the planning application getting rejected a few years ago, but didn't realised they'd redone it. Good to see that it's actually going ahead now. Won't be cheap if it's being designed by Zaha Hadid though.

You are made of GTFC board member material mate , put an application in , i hear there is at least one vacancy coming up.    

Why waste all that money on design when "four independant stands as cheap as possible" as a working brief to the builders is much more achievable.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 20
Son of Cod
February 12, 2021, 2:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from moosey_club

You are made of GTFC board member material mate , put an application in , i hear there is at least one vacancy coming up.    

Why waste all that money on design when "four independant stands as cheap as possible" as a working brief to the builders is much more achievable.

Hahaha, the amount of money I've spent watching Town is probably more than some of the current board members have put into the club to be fair!

And while I'd love us to get something as good as this new FGR one, it's definitely not possible. I work for a fairly well established architecture practice who are quite expensive but Zaha Hadid's prices dwarf ours. They were doing the stadium for the Japan Rugby World Cup final but had to change the design because it was too expensive and then the government scrapped the "cheap" version after pressure from the public. They've also completed one of the Qatar World Cup stadiums too, to give you an idea of their client base. I had a read into the FGR stadium yesterday afternoon and it's part of a huge £100m eco park with the stadium being the centrepiece.Would love to know how much the stadium alone is costing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 20
Limerick Mariner
February 12, 2021, 8:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,727
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Son of Cod

Hahaha, the amount of money I've spent watching Town is probably more than some of the current board members have put into the club to be fair!

And while I'd love us to get something as good as this new FGR one, it's definitely not possible. I work for a fairly well established architecture practice who are quite expensive but Zaha Hadid's prices dwarf ours. They were doing the stadium for the Japan Rugby World Cup final but had to change the design because it was too expensive and then the government scrapped the "cheap" version after pressure from the public. They've also completed one of the Qatar World Cup stadiums too, to give you an idea of their client base. I had a read into the FGR stadium yesterday afternoon and it's part of a huge £100m eco park with the stadium being the centrepiece.Would love to know how much the stadium alone is costing.

I assume it will be made of cross-laminated timber won't it SoC? The go-to material for zero embodied carbon emissions I understand. I think the problem with CLT is, apart from being more costly than steel and concrete, that if you want to build every new building out of it, you have to cover the world with trees and stop growing food...

University of Nottingham built their new Chemistry building out of it, it burnt down a few days before handover. They built it again in the same material.

I'll be happy with a stadium built out of Scunthorpe steel and fly-ash concrete. As long as it has a Pontoon where we can all stand-up...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 20
promotion plaice
February 12, 2021, 9:48pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,088
Gold Stars: 200
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
As long as it has a Pontoon where we can all stand-up...

What's the latest on Safe Standing?

Maybe it will be allowed by the time we get the go ahead for the new stadium.

Not for me though at my age, I'll happily stick to a seat thanks.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 20
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Vegans taking the Main Stand and Pontoon?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.