arryarryarry
February 10, 2021, 4:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Zmariner
I agree  this is oh dear but and I hope to be quoted on this later on  ,I have some faith in Paul Hurst
This approach is very iterative and step-by-step you improve but the anus predecessor left one of the biggest messesthat we have ever been in
I firmly believe that once we get off the mark we will have a decent run, whether this will be on time or not is debatable but I truly believe the team is improving And I genuinely believe that we will go on a decent run of results. Paul Hurst approach to management was always a bit of a slow burner but we always hit the play-offs which was about where our budget was.
I have not thrown in the towel at all and I also think that in this division the margins between the better and the worst teams are not so great and so playing the better teams is not quite as bad as it sounds
Utm

I am curious to know in what way you think we are improving, do you base it on the first 45 minutes against a poor Newport team because games last 90 minutes or more and in the second half I thought we were pretty poor and suffered our two main problems, one, we didn't really trouble their 10 men and look like scoring and two, a defensive error led to their goal and another by Clifton nearly led to a second for them.

In Paul Hurst's 6 games in charge we have lost 5, drawn 1, scored 2 goals, conceded 10 and achieved 1 point.

In Holloway's last 6 games in charge we have lost 4, won 1, drawn 1, scored 5 goals and conceded 10 and achieved 4 points.

So in terms of points won there is no actual improvement in fact we are worse off.

We haven't got time for Paul Hurst to be a slow burner, we need to start winning now starting against Tranmere.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 62
TownSNAFU5
February 10, 2021, 4:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
Some football teams are said to be too good to go down - and promptly get relegated.  This happens mainly in the Prem.

Town are clearly too bad to stay up.  Even our GD is horrendous.

Using reverse psychology, could it be that we will not follow the established collective wisdom - and actually stay up?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 62
Northbank Mariner
February 10, 2021, 5:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from arryarryarry

I am curious to know in what way you think we are improving, do you base it on the first 45 minutes against a poor Newport team because games last 90 minutes or more and in the second half I thought we were pretty poor and suffered our two main problems, one, we didn't really trouble their 10 men and look like scoring and two, a defensive error led to their goal and another by Clifton nearly led to a second for them.

In Paul Hurst's 6 games in charge we have lost 5, drawn 1, scored 2 goals, conceded 10 and acheived 1 point.

In Holloway's last 6 games in charge we have lost 4, won 1, drawn 1, scored 5 goals and conceded 10 and achieved 4 points.

So in terms of points won there is no actual improvement in fact we are worse off.

We haven't got time for Paul Hurst to be a slow burner, we need to start winning now starting against Tranmere.

Again, comparing apples with oranges!..as Jordan would say...

Let's do a comparison over 20 games for both manager's, not bloody 6!..

There's no doubting the squad that Hurst has assembled is stronger than the shower Holloway cobbled together.

If we get to the end of the season and Hurst has scrambled less points than Kn@b jockey did in the first half of the season, then and only then will I say Hurst was a bad appointment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 62
arryarryarry
February 10, 2021, 5:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Again, comparing apples with oranges!..as Jordan would say...

Let's do a comparison over 20 games for both manager's, not bloody 6!..

There's no doubting the squad that Hurst has assembled is stronger than the shower Holloway cobbled together.

If we get to the end of the season and Hurst has scrambled less points than Kn@b jockey did in the first half of the season, then and only then will I say Hurst was a bad appointment.

Doh, I was only pointing out that we haven't actually improved where a previous poster thought we had.
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 62
DB
February 10, 2021, 5:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from arryarryarry

Doh, I was only pointing out that we haven't actually improved where a previous poster thought we had.

On a slightly different vein we have improved enormously. Holloways gone and Fenty's hours are numbered.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 62
ginnywings
February 10, 2021, 5:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Can we at least concede that performances have improved, if not results as yet?

I think we have improved in that respect and we have some better players undoubtedly.

We have improved midfield and forward areas, but until we start scoring goals, none of it will matter.

At least we haven't got Green and Jackson up front anymore. We were never going anywhere with those two.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 62
DB
February 10, 2021, 5:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

I think we have improved in that respect and we have some better players undoubtedly.

We have improved midfield and forward areas, but until we start scoring goals, none of it will matter.

At least we haven't got Green and Jackson up front anymore. We were never going anywhere with those two.

I would like to think that. 2nd half Cambridge match showed a distinct improvement on the first half and you have some hope. Up to the sending off at Newport we started to look something in the rough, again an improvement on the previous week. 2nd half  Newport enough said already.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 62
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 10, 2021, 5:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ginnywings

We have improved midfield and forward areas, but [b]until we start scoring goals, none of it will matter.[/b]

Exactly. It does not matter one iota whether we play like Brazil or Rovers Return Sunday side. I hope they have been working on set pieces. Anything to get goals.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 62
KingstonMariner
February 10, 2021, 11:46pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from RichMariner
Took us from Championship to non-league. That, by anyone's standards, is an appalling record to have.

But the story doesn't even end there.

After fighting to get out of non-league for six years, we look like going back there again.

Perhaps we should remember John Fenty for these words of wisdom he spoke after Jolley left the club:

"But, when all's said and done, success generally comes very quickly—if it’s going to come."

Like he'd know what football success looks like. Nearly two decades of abject failure. But I do agree that there is some poetry in him leaving us rock bottom. Means the consortium barely need to lift a finger to surpass his achievements.

That begs the question “if you really believe that John, why the fcuk are you still here after 18 years of failure?”

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 62
DB
February 11, 2021, 12:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

That begs the question “if you really believe that John, why the fcuk are you still here after 18 years of failure?”

Because he took lessons from the same bullsh!t school as oloway

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › O dear

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.