2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
February 11, 2021, 3:03pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,830
Gold Stars: 222
I can not remember if this is in the book of not.

All the kids were marched off to Waltham when bombing was going on and matched back again next morning.

Some days they had a train ride to  New Barton for a change and returned the following morning.

Source . Wife.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 17
Connecticut Mariner
February 11, 2021, 7:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.22
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +730
Gold Stars: 7
A couple of stories that my Dad told me:

My grandad had a furniture moving business - when families left the area during the blitz, he stored their furniture in a warehouse (and vacant houses) - he would draw a chalk lines around the furniture from different families.

My Dad was 13 in 1943 when someone came to the school and said they wanted help to pump petrol into US army vehicles in the Market Place so he left to do that and never went back to school.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 17
ginnywings
February 11, 2021, 7:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
My childhood home had cracks in most of the ceilings from the aftershocks of bombing raids on the docks and nearby railway lines. My brother still lives in the house and the cracks are still there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 17
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 12, 2021, 12:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
A couple of stories that my Dad told me:

My grandad had a furniture moving business - when families left the area during the blitz, he stored their furniture in a warehouse (and vacant houses) - he would draw a chalk lines around the furniture from different families.

My Dad was 13 in 1943 when someone came to the school and said they wanted help to pump petrol into US army vehicles in the Market Place so he left to do that and never went back to school.

Common factor here is that kids had to grow up fast in those days, take responsibility for themselves and others. The lads overseas were still teenagers or not much older, the girls at home were working from 14 onwards and expected to look after themselves. Not uncommon to see a young twenty something with a couple of young kids, or granny with them while the mother did war work.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
DB
February 12, 2021, 2:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.44
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,048
Gold Stars: 390
My grandad took to poaching! in the war.  Fishing rod with a baccy tin fixed on the end, sulphur in the tin and when he found a Pidgeon roosting lit the sulphur and wafted the tin under the birds nose. Down it came.

He made his own poachers walking stick gun for small bore cartridges. I think he use to refill the shells aswell. This was a metal tube (barrel) attached to a chrome handle bent 180 degrees like a shepherds crook shape. Part of the handle was attached to the barrel and partly cut out so a cartridge could be inserted and located with a twist. The firing mechanism was a small pin under the bend in the handle which some way hit the cartridge.

The barrel was fixed inside a large cane with a rubber feral on the bottom. A walking stick to the gamekeeper.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 17
TownSNAFU5
February 12, 2021, 10:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,904
Gold Stars: 42
I have a hard copy of a national newspaper article about the butterfly bombs that fell on Grimsby. They caused a lot of injuries and deaths as they were small and innocuous.  A woman was killed touching no one on her washing line.  This went on for weeks after the first initial bomb drop.  They were so many of them and they were small.

They also had a psychological impact on people. It was vital that the Germans could not know how effective and destructive the new butterfly bombs were.

There was a news blackout at the time.  Everything was Top Secret.  It worked. The Germans never knew.

My Dad lived at 1 Ellison Street, opposite the old Loftis’s toy shop and near to the Ground.  A butterfly bomb landed in front of their house and damaged the ba6 window.

I can send anyone a copy of the Grimsby butterfly bomb article.  Just need a PM and a library  open to get more copies printed.  (I only became aware of all this in the last 3 years).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 17
FishOutOfWater
February 15, 2021, 7:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,577
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
I have a hard copy of a national newspaper article about the butterfly bombs that fell on Grimsby. They caused a lot of injuries and deaths as they were small and innocuous.  A woman was killed touching no one on her washing line.  This went on for weeks after the first initial bomb drop.  They were so many of them and they were small.

They also had a psychological impact on people. It was vital that the Germans could not know how effective and destructive the new butterfly bombs were.

There was a news blackout at the time.  Everything was Top Secret.  It worked. The Germans never knew.

My Dad lived at 1 Ellison Street, opposite the old Loftis’s toy shop and near to the Ground.  A butterfly bomb landed in front of their house and damaged the ba6 window.

I can send anyone a copy of the Grimsby butterfly bomb article.  Just need a PM and a library  open to get more copies printed.  (I only became aware of all this in the last 3 years).

I'm pretty sure my dad told me he'd lost an aunt to a butterfly bomb locally....

Something I learned the other day ( a post on Grimsby Memories on FB ) was that a bomb had been dropped on Springbank near the corner with Lombard Street

I lived there when I was younger yet had no idea that it had been hit.... you live and learn
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 17
KingstonMariner
February 16, 2021, 5:55pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
It’s a shame there isn’t something for Grimsby like this site, which is an excellent resource.

http://bombsight.org/#15/51.5050/-0.0900

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Grimsby During the Blitz

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.