Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Offside - is it worth the hassle?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 269 Guests

Offside - is it worth the hassle?

This thread currently has 4,853 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 5, 2021, 10:34am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
There's a variant of the offside rule in most team games so that an attacker doesn't gain an advantage by goal hanging  or being 'ahead of play'

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 34
Sandford1981
February 5, 2021, 11:01am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
The problem is not the offside law which needs to stay 100% in my opinion. To me the problem we have, is the people that govern the game seem to want to change things for the sake of it, like they need to justify their existence.

This has been going on for too many years and what we have now through constant tinkering are over elaborate and complicated rules that are changing so often the players, staff and officials cannot keep up.

The end result is an unnecessary dilution of the game we all know and love. Makes my pi55 boil! Football is a simple game-leave it be!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 34
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
February 5, 2021, 11:10am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120
Maybe they should limit the number of times a Ref can check VAR per team during a match. If teams were only given 3 chances to question a decision per match then a team might be more inclined not to surround the Ref at every given opportunity and cry baby tears until the Ref checks the VAR. That way, the game should be a lot more free flowing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 34
dicko995
February 5, 2021, 11:39am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -252
Gold Stars: 25
How times have changed since i attended my first football match in the Boys Stand in the Barrets. It was 1960, and i was in awe at the hard tackles flying in, left and right wingers sprinting up and down the touchlines, 90 minutes of cold blooded action, it was enjoyable to watch. And now, the slightest nudge from a player, adamant calling to gain a throw in, diving in the penalty area, 100 back passing in defence to gain a few yards, over protection for goalkeepers, and now the VAR, where if a player has a hard on and it sticks out beyond the opposition defence, its deemed offside. The Football League upper bosses say they are always trying to improve the game, when in fact over the last several years they are making it a farce to watch. How many of us have been watching a match on tv and got that bored and switched the channel over to watch a film, even adverts look better and interesting. As Poojah states, getting rid of the offside rule would only lead to 4-4-2,s etc going out the window, it would be a free for all. Football is an English game with traditions, and these traditions are slowly disappearing. How times change, and not for the better being a football fan. Agents ruined the game from the day they were introduced, giving the player more power, and less to the Club. A player used to be fully committed to playing to the best of his ability, or he was sacked by the Club, as they owned him outright. They say rules are made to be broken, well F.A., you have certainly broken our beloved sport that we live for every saturday, and even now, its not the same on a saturday afternoon, as tv rights dictate when games are played, so no full days of matches anymore, David Coleman, Kenneth Wolstenholme, the game died with you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 34
MeanwoodMariner
February 5, 2021, 11:40am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
They should scrap drawing lines on the screen. If it's 100% clear with the naked eye that the wrong call was made then VAR steps in, otherwise stick with the onfield decision.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 34
Brazilnut
February 5, 2021, 11:56am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +979
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from golfer
When I was at school our centre half used to stand on the goal line smoking a Woodbine with the goalie  - so nobody was ever offside     P.S.  It was a posh school so the teacher told him off - for not using an ash tray.

Did he come running out to make the tackle like Monk in vinny Jones's version of mean machine

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 34
tanga_the_indestructible
February 5, 2021, 11:57am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 5
Anyone remember the Anglo-Italian Cup in the early 1970s? They experimented with changes to the offside rule then I think (you could only be offside in the penalty area maybe?).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 34
GrimRob
February 5, 2021, 12:09pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
If you're level you're onside. That used to be the ruling, the spirit of that should apply to VAR.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 34
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 5, 2021, 12:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from dicko995
How times have changed since i attended my first football match in the Boys Stand in the Barrets. It was 1960, and i was in awe at the hard tackles flying in, left and right wingers sprinting up and down the touchlines, 90 minutes of cold blooded action, it was enjoyable to watch. And now, the slightest nudge from a player, adamant calling to gain a throw in, diving in the penalty area, 100 back passing in defence to gain a few yards, over protection for goalkeepers, and now the VAR, where if a player has a hard on and it sticks out beyond the opposition defence, its deemed offside. The Football League upper bosses say they are always trying to improve the game, when in fact over the last several years they are making it a farce to watch. How many of us have been watching a match on tv and got that bored and switched the channel over to watch a film, even adverts look better and interesting. As Poojah states, getting rid of the offside rule would only lead to 4-4-2,s etc going out the window, it would be a free for all. Football is an English game with traditions, and these traditions are slowly disappearing. How times change, and not for the better being a football fan. Agents ruined the game from the day they were introduced, giving the player more power, and less to the Club. A player used to be fully committed to playing to the best of his ability, or he was sacked by the Club, as they owned him outright. They say rules are made to be broken, well F.A., you have certainly broken our beloved sport that we live for every saturday, and even now, its not the same on a saturday afternoon, as tv rights dictate when games are played, so no full days of matches anymore, David Coleman, Kenneth Wolstenholme, the game died with you.

I respect and understand your view but it's sepia tinted. That full blooded version of football also saw a lot of player's careers end early because of injury, the game was slower and less technical, pitches and facilities for fans were far worse than today (except at Blundell Park) and you stood a good chance of getting your head kicked in outside or inside the ground. Players were treated like vassals of a club and were paid peanuts whilst board members made good money from gate receipts etc.

Agents have brought nothing to the game and money has had a detrimental effect on the game at the highest level but I wouldn't return to the 'old days' for a second.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 34
buckstown
February 5, 2021, 2:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,187
Gold Stars: 79
VAR is ok for offside in my opinion, whatever the rule is it’s going to need measuring.
Issue is the time taken so I think they should get 20 seconds, if it’s not clear and obvious then the attacker gets the benefit of the doubt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Offside - is it worth the hassle?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.