Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The next 20 games.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 251 Guests

The next 20 games.

This thread currently has 4,986 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
February 3, 2021, 7:51pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,799
Gold Stars: 226
Not sure we have got 3 or 4 games.

That would leave us 16 or 17 games to get the 9 wins we need to get to 48 points.  Tall order that. I think we must win one of the nest three games otherwise that mountain we have to climb will be almost impossibly steep.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 49
Bigdog
February 3, 2021, 8:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from ginnywings
No one needs reminding how important they will be. Looks like the NL will carry on regardless and we have 20 games to save our ar$es from the drop.

After years of waiting for new owners it would be devastating to end up back where we were 5 years ago, with Paul Hurst and his team trying desperately to break down Dover Athletic at BP.  The last ten years would have counted for nothing.

So now we have what in effect is a mini season, with almost an entire new team to bed in, and the next few games are going to be like a pre season in mid season. Can't remember a team changing so much in such a short space of time.

I think we will need the rest of the month to get up to speed and any positive results will be a bonus as the team and management tries to find a winning formula. It's important we don't fall too far behind, so we give ourselves a fighting chance going into the last knockings of the league.

There has been some decent signings already, but I'm surprised we didn't bring in another centre back. I can only assume that PH thinks the defence isn't the main problem and that strengthening the midfield, attack and the goalkeeping area will bring a tighter defensive unit.

When Hurst took over at Shrewsbury, they were bottom of the league, although he did have longer to turn things around. Difference being that there are 4 relegation spots in League 1, so he had to move them up to at least 5th from bottom. He actually finished 18th, albeit by 1 point above 19th and 20th, who both survived on goal difference. We won't survive on goal difference.

So, to get us to safety, he has to raise us 1 place up the league or better and keep us there. Last season was curtailed, so looking at the previous 5 seasons before that, the points totals for the relegated sides were 41, 46, 46, 34, 41. Being only two relegation spots means it's not often you need the oft quoted 50 points to stay up. That is more likely in the leagues above us.

It looks doable, but a lot will depend on whether this is a 34 points kind of season, or a 46 points one. Just got to better two other sides from here on in. It's going to be nail biting I'm sure.

Bit of a weird league this season. No dominant sides, everyone beating each other, teams at the top averaging much less than the usual two points plus per game, 1.73, and teams as low as 19th with fairly respectable records still in the promotion hunt and only 14 points off top spot. Unless three teams get set adrift, I think we may need nearly every one of those 50 points to stay up..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 49
ginnywings
February 3, 2021, 9:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Bigdog

Bit of a weird league this season. No dominant sides, everyone beating each other, teams at the top averaging much less than the usual two points plus per game, 1.73, and teams as low as 19th with fairly respectable records still in the promotion hunt and only 14 points off top spot. Unless three teams get set adrift, I think we may need nearly every one of those 50 points to stay up..

Yeah, there isn't a lot from top to bottom and anyone can beat anyone, so it's going to be tight right down to the bottom end of the table.

Is that a blessing or a curse? On the one hand, we could be one of the few teams cut adrift, on the other, we could put together a bit of a run and make some ground.

There are four teams on 5 wins, then a gap to Harrogate on 8 wins. It may be that we need to win the mini league of the bottom four sides to stay up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 49
Mariner_09
February 3, 2021, 10:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Bigdog

That just goes further to exemplify our shitness. Everyone else can pinch wins and draws where they shouldn't but we can't. We'll probably need about 42-44 points but we probably won't get that.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 49
forza ivano
February 3, 2021, 10:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from Mariner_09

That just goes further to exemplify our shitness. Everyone else can pinch wins and draws where they shouldn't but we can't. We'll probably need about 42-44 points but we probably won't get that.

this is the huge unknown. What we have is a completely new team ,unburdened by our previous shitness. Hurst has a good record at picking up players (both with us and particularly Shrews), so you have to be hopeful that a) they are better than Team Holloway and b) they will go into games with a fair degree of confidence.There is precedent for this, as we've seen Morais, Wright and Hanson come in and improve the side. The other hope is that the Team Holloway survivors (Hendrie, Macca,Rose, Williams,  Pollock, Waterfall etc) will then up their game and regain their confidence and previous levels by playing alongside the incomers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 49
DB
February 4, 2021, 6:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from forza ivano

this is the huge unknown. What we have is a completely new team ,unburdened by our previous shitness. Hurst has a good record at picking up players (both with us and particularly Shrews), so you have to be hopeful that a) they are better than Team Holloway and b) they will go into games with a fair degree of confidence.There is precedent for this, as we've seen Morais, Wright and Hanson come in and improve the side. The other hope is that the Team Holloway survivors (Hendrie, Macca,Rose, Williams,  Pollock, Waterfall etc) will then up their game and regain their confidence and previous levels by playing alongside the incomers

Any team on Bradley pitches is better than team oloway.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 49
Davec
February 4, 2021, 6:28am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
So we have 20 games left, if we can get atleast 7 points out of each block of 5 games that would leave us with atleast 49 points which should be enough you would imagine, 7 points every 5 games shouldn't be too much of a tall order, we need the new players to jel instantly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 49
KingstonMariner
February 4, 2021, 8:00am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Davec
So we have 20 games left, if we can get atleast 7 points out of each block of 5 games that would leave us with atleast 49 points which should be enough you would imagine, 7 points every 5 games shouldn't be too much of a tall order, we need the new players to jel instantly

That’s why it’s a tall order.

We’ve averaged just over 0.8 points per game.
7 points in 5 games would be 1.4 points per game.
= 75% improvement

And that’s not allowing any time for the team to gel. Not impossible but very tough.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 49
RonMariner
February 4, 2021, 9:25pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,799
Gold Stars: 226
Could do with Barrow crashing.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Jolley saved us from relegation a second time....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 49
KingstonMariner
February 4, 2021, 9:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from RonMariner
Could do with Barrow crashing.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Jolley saved us from relegation a second time....

According to D3D4 the only club in the bottom 4 with a lower ranked collection of signings in the January transfer window was Sarfend.

https://d3d4football.com/ranked-every-league-two-clubs-january-transfer-business-2021/

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The next 20 games.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.