Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst v Holloway (Recruitment)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 246 Guests

Hurst v Holloway (Recruitment)

This thread currently has 4,957 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Rick12
February 1, 2021, 2:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
I’ve always rated Hurst in the recruiting market because of his level of background work, research and scouting he does.

I find watching Hurst at work in the market very exciting. Whereas with Holloway, I just got the feeling it was pot luck, where he would take any name in and give them a try, that his contacts chucked up, but with very little knowledge or research.
To be fair to Ian Holloway as opposed to Paul  Hurst  has done well at a reasonably high standard at some of his previous clubs . I for one thought he would be a success here and surprised things went pear shaped for him.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
GrimExile
February 1, 2021, 2:47pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from Boris Johnson
Amazing how many people who thought he was the best manager in the league, are now realising what a lazy charlatan illegitimate Holloway he was

I’m not sure he was necessarily lazy but what he was and still is, is delusional.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
Boris Johnson
February 1, 2021, 3:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from GrimExile

I’m not sure he was necessarily lazy but what he was and still is, is delusional.

he took players on heresay, never vetted them, and took them from his mates.....did you ever read about him being somewhere midweek watching a player?

His management of the players was negligent, he is the worst manager in the club's history, and absolute show pony, found out at the very lowest level. He protected his position by his bluffs and lies. If and when we do go down, he will be the main culprit, not on his own, but the main one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
diehardmariner
February 1, 2021, 3:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
I'd love to know the real inside story of what happened from late March to late summer.

That first transfer window Holloway absolutely smashed it.  Clarke, Benson and Glennon were incredible signings.  Even the other lads he brought in like Garmston and Grandin would have been a mark up on what we've had since.

OnThisGTFCDay tweeted out the memory from a year ago when we drew with FGR at home.  The football we played for the goals was great stuff. Playing it out from the back, intelligent hold up and link up, players going beyond the front men, a high press, lovely stuff.

It can't just be as simple as we went down the cheapo route, can it?  Even on a cheapo route, the recruitment was scattergun.  1 left back in the building and he was a young lad totally wet behind the ears, yet a gazillion midfielders in.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
DB
February 1, 2021, 3:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
A good confidence trickster knows how to talk. The right language, the right buttons to press and makes you want to like them. Slowly and very slowly they suck you in, a bit of expectation here and there and then suddenly things go wrong.

Hey it's not my fault I'm a victim just as you are, or is it another line in the masking of their inept ability to do a proper job. Then we discover they are not what they have made themselves out to be and we've been coned.

Too late the damage has been done and they've got away with it. They move on to somebody else, their is always somebody else because they tell about their misfortune and how they, the victim!, were badly treat..

Any names come to mind?????

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
RonMariner
February 1, 2021, 3:59pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,789
Gold Stars: 226
Guilty as charged. I too swallowed the hype. Part of it was down to wishful thinking though. I just wanted a savior who would turn it all around for us with his experience and extensive contacts.

Should have listened to the Leicester fans. He took them down to L1 in 2008
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
Northbank Mariner
February 1, 2021, 4:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from RonMariner
Guilty as charged. I too swallowed the hype. Part of it was down to wishful thinking though. I just wanted a savior who would turn it all around for us with his experience and extensive contacts.

Should have listened to the Leicester fans. He took them down to L1 in 2008

Should've listened to Crystal Palace, Plymouth, Leicester, Millwall and QPR fans!...all called him out for what he is....Sh!te!!..living off what he did for Blackpool.
I got completely drawn in by his bluster, thought he was going to be the dogs boll@x...turns out he just talked boll@x!..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
KingstonMariner
February 1, 2021, 10:46pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from DB
A good confidence trickster knows how to talk. The right language, the right buttons to press and makes you want to like them. Slowly and very slowly they suck you in, a bit of expectation here and there and then suddenly things go wrong.

Hey it's not my fault I'm a victim just as you are, or is it another line in the masking of their inept ability to do a proper job. Then we discover they are not what they have made themselves out to be and we've been coned.

Too late the damage has been done and they've got away with it. They move on to somebody else, their is always somebody else because they tell about their misfortune and how they, the victim!, were badly treat..

Any names come to mind?????

I think that’s a good description. He had most of us conned to a greater or lesser extent. Part of what determines whether or not a conman is successful is the willingness of the victim to believe. We were desperate for a brighter future. We felt we’d earned it. That metaphorical property deal looked too good to miss so we were all drawing down from our metaphorical pension fund of emotion.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
Gaffer58
February 2, 2021, 10:04am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 33
What a conversation it must have been between Holloway and May, 1 conmen trying to convince another conmen. With Mr Fenty stood on the sidelines learning the tricks of the trade ready for his next council meeting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
wigworld
February 2, 2021, 10:24am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from RonMariner

Like many of us. I can live with the fact that he was a terrible manager- God knows we've had plenty of those over the years. It's more the fact that he was a charlatan of the highest order that boils my urine. And I hear he's still living in town? I can't believe the nerve.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hurst v Holloway (Recruitment)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.