malkamalka
January 30, 2021, 11:47am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +150
Gold Stars: 17
[quote=120785]

I’ve always seen Brentford as our southern shadow. We bounced around the divisions together for many years and there’s a ‘proper club’ feel about it like Town and the old stadiums have that same charm.
/quote]

Like their thuggish fans who bricked the Town supporters bus following an away game there? BillO was the bus driver, and only his actions in getting the hell out of there prevented any more serious injuries.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 15
KingstonMariner
January 30, 2021, 12:32pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from malkamalka
[quote=120785]

I’ve always seen Brentford as our southern shadow. We bounced around the divisions together for many years and there’s a ‘proper club’ feel about it like Town and the old stadiums have that same charm.
/quote]

Like their thuggish fans who bricked the Town supporters bus following an away game there? BillO was the bus driver, and only his actions in getting the hell out of there prevented any more serious injuries.

You can say the same about some of our fans too. Heard similar stories about away coaches getting bricked.

Never been any trouble in the times I’ve been to Brentford. That goes back 30+ years.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 15
KingstonMariner
January 30, 2021, 12:36pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from thornemariner

I saw that thanks, Kingston. Its available to see on YouTube and well worth an hour of anyone's time. It featured people I knew very well and especially Bernie Watson who took his alsation dog Sarge to some away games where it barked when the opposition had the ball. Proper old school fans and the same characters really that we have at Town but just wearing different colours. A southern version of the Mariners as you've said but on vastly differing trajectories at the moment.

I watched that Pub on Every Corner clip as well. I think that’s where the “it may be a sh*those but it’s our sh*thole” comes from.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 15
thornemariner
January 30, 2021, 1:27pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +665
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I watched that Pub on Every Corner clip as well. I think that’s where the “it may be a sh*those but it’s our sh*thole” comes from.

I'll have to have a look at that again. My old spiritual home was the Princess Royal when I was a drinker. Me and another Town fan used to go in there regularly before games and became well known by the staff. I did use the Bricklayer's just down the road too. Sad to see it converted into houses now. I sometimes pop in the Horseguards to see friends on the way. Not sure what everyone's plans will be before the game now though.

Anyone who ever had to use the New Road toilets will have less fond memories of GP. I think people who went in there in the 1990s are still reported missing. The Braemar's were well crowded too but I was thankfully eligible to use the disabled ones.

Last season saw me filling in a survey after every home game and when asked about what I wanted to see in the new stadium to enhance my match experience I said better toilets and a continuing programme shop. Sign of my age I suppose. I'm sure it will all be great.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 15
KingstonMariner
January 30, 2021, 1:49pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from thornemariner

I'll have to have a look at that again. My old spiritual home was the Princess Royal when I was a drinker. Me and another Town fan used to go in there regularly before games and became well known by the staff. I did use the Bricklayer's just down the road too. Sad to see it converted into houses now. I sometimes pop in the Horseguards to see friends on the way. Not sure what everyone's plans will be before the game now though.

Anyone who ever had to use the New Road toilets will have less fond memories of GP. I think people who went in there in the 1990s are still reported missing. The Braemar's were well crowded too but I was thankfully eligible to use the disabled ones.

Last season saw me filling in a survey after every home game and when asked about what I wanted to see in the new stadium to enhance my match experience I said better toilets and a continuing programme shop. Sign of my age I suppose. I'm sure it will all be great.

I know what you mean about age. I had a language lesson this morning and we briefly covered different levels of compulsion (I must go, I really must go, I NEED to go) and the example I thought of for the last one involved toilets. ☹️

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 15
Mayaman
January 30, 2021, 1:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Good on 'em. I've always had a soft spot for the Bees. it might have started when I watched Town play there and they applauded us. Rees played a blinder. Argh the memories.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 15
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Push up Brentford

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.