1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
GYinScuntland
January 23, 2021, 7:04am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,253
Gold Stars: 98
Glastonbury cancelled, not my scene but horrible for all those that love it. The thin end of the wedge for sure.
We all love our live music and looking likely it's buggered for another year.
So what's your favourite ten memories?
Bands, venues and why.
I'll start with mine..

1.Rod Stewart, Manchester Apollo.
My first ever gig probably 75 or 76, Rod kicked his footballs into the crowd, I caught one and was promptly mugged by half a dozen harridans behind me.
I was a young lad and not too bothered about his political views at the time, he's got more in your face in later years which is a shame.

2. Sex Pistols, Meggies Winter Gardens.
Every man and his dog will claim to be there but I was and it's true that GTFC was sprayed on their van, it's not an urban myth.

3. Bruce Springsteen, Villa Park.
A mate bunged me a ticket, he wasn't my cup of tea so I thought but hell it was a gig.
I can still pick myself out on Utube.

4. Motorhead, Manchester Apollo.
Backstage drinking vodka with Lemmy and Animal.
Two young lads couldn't believe their luck and were proper scared too.
It's a toss up between Motorhead, Quo and Rod who I've seen the most, all in double figures.

5. Status Quo, Bridlington Spa.
Seen Quo 30 odd times all over the country plus Germany, France, Spain but Brid Spa before the renovation really rocked.

6. Cocksparrer, Voodoo lounge, Dublin.
Seen this band loads of times but I managed to end up standing next to the only IRA supporter in the place as they launched into 'England belongs to me' every fornicator except me were pissing their selves laughing.

7. AC/DC, Olympiastadion, Berlin.
Had the pleasure of seeing them at Monsters of Rock with Bon but this gig was the dogs balderdash.

8. Cockney Rejects, Belfast.
Another Oi band I've followed for years but this one was a blast just a couple of years ago. A good meet up with Grimsby lads and lasses.

9. UK Subs, Rebellion, Blackpool.
Probably the best punk band in the country, still at it every week since the 70's.

10. Rolling Stones, London Stadium.
Another band I've seen a few times over the years and still at it.
This one stuck out for the pure energy and a mate who'd never seen them live but "didn't expect that fornicator"
Logged Offline
Private Message
aldi_01
January 23, 2021, 7:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Oasis - knebworth, needs little explanation

Oasis - Manchester Apollo 2001, day after we beat Liverpool. Got there early, smallest gig they’d done since 93ish, didn’t buy an ale all day

The Verve - Blackpool Empress Ballroom. Reunion gig in 2007. Setlist was off the scale, they seemed to play for hours. So loud.

The Stone Roses - Heaton Park, first night. Again, needs little explanation.

Morrissey - Grimsby Auditorium, had seen him before but seeing him play on your doorstep was decent and it’s a small venue so felt intimate and special.

Ludovico Einaudi - Nottingham concert hall. Amazing. Impossible to describe but what a performance.

Arctic Monkeys - some small venue early on just as the album came out. I wasn’t that keen and still don’t get overly excited by them but I guess it was iconic so that makes it special for me. Performance was electric if a little rough.

Liam Gallagher - Manchester Ritz. Being a huge oasis Liam fan this was massive. Make or break as some folk put it. Didn’t have a ticket, met a dude in a pub and we decided to chance it on the guest list queue, got through the door and just ran. Saw the gig and he kinda proved that he wasn’t going anywhere. Had a ticket for the gig three days later but there was no way I was missing the first.

Metallica - Leeds Festival. Not a metal fan in the slightest but I was curious as to why they were enormous. After watching them I knew why.

Faithless - Nottingham, I think. Hazy gig for various reasons but it was flipping brilliant.

It’s hard to choose and I know there’s some I’ve left out, I’ve seen the stones and the likes but those ten stand out for me...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 5
Rick12
January 23, 2021, 12:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from aldi_01

Liam Gallagher - Manchester Ritz. Being a huge oasis Liam fan this was massive.
Yes Iam a big Liam fan as well. Love the guys energy and some of his songs aren't bad either . I always remember reading about Oasis  early years before they got big. Practised all day on their guitars. Love that passion and discipline.

Iam also a big Ocean Colour scene fan . Saw them  in London once and some of the songs they played brought tears to my eyes especially the song "we dont want to fight no more". Poignant as I could relate to it more as it was what I was experiencing in my private life as well.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 5
barralad
January 24, 2021, 10:35am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,299
Gold Stars: 127
Sparks Cleethorpes Winter Gardens 20 June 1974. Their first UK gig. Full house, hot night. Brilliant atmosphere.
Lynryd Synyrd Knebworth 1975 or 6. Hadn't heard anything by them. Blown away by Sweet Home Alabama and of course Freebird.
Billy Bragg Lincoln Engine Shed 2008. Superb wordsmith.
Sensational Alex Harvey Band Sheffield City Hall April 1976. What a showman.
Lloyd Cole and the Commotions Brighton 1985. Superb.
Cockney Rebel Central Hall Grimsby. Great venue poor attendance with Harley on top form.
Steeleye Span Lincoln Cathedral late 1990s.
John Otway Yardbirds Grimsby 2018...absolutely bonkers. He stayed behind for drinks with the punters.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 5
exiledmeggie
January 24, 2021, 1:19pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -209
Gold Stars: 19
Ringo Starr Radio City, New York 2018

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 5
KingstonMariner
January 25, 2021, 3:49am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.05
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Memphis Slim, Canterbury Art College, c 1982. Amazing to hear one of the masters. Small venue. Rammed.
Dr Feelgood, university of Kent c 1983, absolutely mental, high energy stuff, the hall was a sweat box
Darts, ditto (those cats could play)
Hugh Masekela, ditto c 1984. Superb musicianship. Accompanied by his ex-missus who had an amazing voice. My mate’s band was the support act 😁
Beautiful South, somewhere in Camden c 1992. Quality.
??? Name, covers Band, Rose Theatre Kingston, 2014, the 15 year old bassist had a really cool, good-looking dad 😉

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Ten Best Gigs

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.