2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
MarinerRob
January 7, 2021, 4:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
I was sorry to see Charles Vernam go but he has not done too well at Burton only scoring 2 goals. And this is after playing 15 games. So one goal every 521 minutes (about 6 matches) He has had 17 shots so his accurancy on goal is not great either at 12 per cent.

At Town he scored six - three of which at Colchester when he was on fire.

What he may have done at Town it unknown but, at the moment, he has not fared too well at Burton. And I know we would be very happy with a striker who scored a goal every six games but we need better than that.

ps sorry if you thought Vernam was coming back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
golfer
January 7, 2021, 5:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
He only stayed as long as he did because The Old Codger paid his wages.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
Boris Johnson
January 7, 2021, 6:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
In fairness he wasn’t that prolific prior to that mini run with us.

On the periphery of things as well.

Took the better offer. Like many players it’s only the cash that talks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
arryarryarry
January 7, 2021, 7:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from MarinerRob
I was sorry to see Charles Vernam go but he has not done too well at Burton only scoring 2 goals. And this is after playing 15 games. So one goal every 521 minutes (about 6 matches) He has had 17 shots so his accurancy on goal is not great either at 12 per cent.

At Town he scored six - three of which at Colchester when he was on fire.

What he may have done at Town it unknown but, at the moment, he has not fared too well at Burton. And I know we would be very happy with a striker who scored a goal every six games but we need better than that.

ps sorry if you thought Vernam was coming back.

Perhaps you should read up what the Burton fans think of him, after they lost 1-5 at home to Oxford some were very complimentary about CV one even said that of all the crap players who played he would only keep two, one was CV.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
MarinerRob
January 7, 2021, 7:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Well, he certainly has something. As I say I would have liked him to stay with Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
pizzzza
January 7, 2021, 7:32pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
He's not an out and out striker though is he so maybe a little unfair to judge him solely on goals. Also Burton have been shite this season so I expect scoring chances to be limited.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
TAGG
January 7, 2021, 7:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
I have watched Burton a couple of times earlier this season and everything went though Vernam.
Both games I watched he was mom cutting in from the wing or through midfield.

Just recent they have been playing him as a striker which I don't think has been going so well.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
GollyGTFC
January 8, 2021, 9:17am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,048
Gold Stars: 358
With respect to CV, he was pretty useless for the first 2 years he was with us. It was clear he had some talent, but he failed to deliver it even on a semi-regular basis. He had 2 great months for us under Ollie and moved on. He shouldn't be a big loss based on his achievements over 2 and a half year at Town. Unfortunately our recruitment after he left was so atrocious that even him at the level he performed at for the first 2 years at GTFC would make him a regular starter and key player at present.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 15
diehardmariner
January 8, 2021, 10:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Never had Vernam down as an out-an-out striker or indeed a goalscorer.

What he did offer was the ability to draw players towards him and then ghost past them, freeing up space for team-mates.

Bradford away was an example of what he could really offer.  Everything was going through him down that left flank and Bradford simply couldn't handle him.  Hendrie's equaliser came simply because Bradford focused so much on trying to stop Vernam, ultimately failing, which allowed him others space.

I still maintain he was a big loss.  But the loss of Billy Clarke was bigger.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
quebec38
January 8, 2021, 11:21am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
Holloway didn’t do much for us but he did a lot for Vernam it would seem. CV deserves a lot more respect from me than to call him a one trick pony but defenders should have been on to his main aim pretty early on (cutting in from the left and getting a shot off). Doing this at pace saw many attempts wide or over so not surprised to see his accuracy is low or his number of goals, also don’t forget he has gone up a division.

He’s definitely L1 or top L2 quality for me at the very least. When he first arrived for Derby and played in behind the centre forward you could see his ability on the ball and confidence. Poor management over time knocked that out of him completely and thankfully we saw it return after Christmas last year.

Shame we ballsed it up keeping him here as he is exactly what every side wants in this division that is aiming for promotion.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
Northbank Mariner
January 8, 2021, 4:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from quebec38
Holloway didn’t do much for us but he did a lot for Vernam it would seem. CV deserves a lot more respect from me than to call him a one trick pony but defenders should have been on to his main aim pretty early on (cutting in from the left and getting a shot off). Doing this at pace saw many attempts wide or over so not surprised to see his accuracy is low or his number of goals, also don’t forget he has gone up a division.

He’s definitely L1 or top L2 quality for me at the very least. When he first arrived for Derby and played in behind the centre forward you could see his ability on the ball and confidence. Poor management over time knocked that out of him completely and thankfully we saw it return after Christmas last year.

Shame we ballsed it up keeping him here as he is exactly what every side wants in this division that is aiming for promotion.

Have to disagree with that, Holloway did nothing for CV, apart from nit holding in to him.
Jolley threw him to the wolves and it was Limbrick that called him back and git him firing and on that point, think people forget just what Limbrick did do, steadied a sinking ship, then got kicked in the teeth and the rest is history. Holloway needed him and that became very apparent within weeks of this season starting, do I miss CV, a little but we missed AL more
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 15
January 8, 2021, 5:25pm
Guest User
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Have to disagree with that, Holloway did nothing for CV, apart from nit holding in to him.
Jolley threw him to the wolves and it was Limbrick that called him back and git him firing and on that point, think people forget just what Limbrick did do, steadied a sinking ship, then got kicked in the teeth and the rest is history. Holloway needed him and that became very apparent within weeks of this season starting, do I miss CV, a little but we missed AL more

You got it the wrong way round mate, he kicked GTFC in the teeth by refusing to accept the Covid contract, that everyone else signed, plus didn't move up to Grimsby as he was asked to do.

Reply: 11 - 15
KingstonMariner
January 9, 2021, 4:18am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 123614

You got it the wrong way round mate, he kicked GTFC in the teeth by refusing to accept the Covid contract, that everyone else signed, plus didn't move up to Grimsby as he was asked to do.

Except it turned out that not everyone accepted the Covid contract/paycut. The initial report from the club was wrong. It transpired that the players rejected it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 15
Tommy
January 9, 2021, 9:18am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from 123614

As Kingston points out above, everyone didn't accept the paycut. It was only non-playing staff at the club who were put on this pay cut because the players refused too. Did Macca, Pollock, Hendrie etc all kick GTFC in the teeth too?

Limbrick might not have moved up to Grimsby permanently, but he obviously must have had some kind of accommodation up here? And as much as we often go on about wanting players to live in the area, if Limbrick was making it into work every day then what difference does it make where he lives?

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 15
jamesgtfc
January 9, 2021, 11:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Tommy

As Kingston points out above, everyone didn't accept the paycut. It was only non-playing staff at the club who were put on this pay cut because the players refused too. Did Macca, Pollock, Hendrie etc all kick GTFC in the teeth too?

Limbrick might not have moved up to Grimsby permanently, but he obviously must have had some kind of accommodation up here? And as much as we often go on about wanting players to live in the area, if Limbrick was making it into work every day then what difference does it make where he lives?

The players were advised to reject the pay cut by the PFA.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 15
Madeleymariner
January 9, 2021, 11:49am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,061
Gold Stars: 50
Back to original - CV or Kyle Bennett  I know which one I wish had been here this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Charles Vernam scoring record

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.