2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
January 6, 2021, 3:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Now that 5 of the 7 have gone back to their clubs.

Do you think Paul will bring anybody in on loan and if yes who ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 6, 2021, 3:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Remember that he likes a smaller squad to work with. We've gone from 34 to 29 (I believe) but he has been quoted as saying he likes a squad of about 22.

I think the rubber hits the road when we start seeing 'our' players going out the door.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
Gainsbro_Mariner
January 6, 2021, 3:44pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 14
Remember that he likes a smaller squad to work with. We've gone from 34 to 29 (I believe) but he has been quoted as saying he likes a squad of about 22.

I think the rubber hits the road when we start seeing 'our' players going out the door.

I probably make it currently 22/23 first team players arguably...

I think technically despite  having squad numbers and minor EFL Trophy minutes or occasional appearances on the bench,  I wouldn't imagine Hurst would class Curran, Tomlinson, Hope, Starbuck, Painter, Khouri, Adlard, Boyd, Grist or Ben Davies as first team players. Obviously Davies is registered as an ad hoc player, but the others being young lads from the U23 squad and below I think it was stated somewhere that he had already separated a group of players from the first team, so I am assuming these would be those players (bar Davies of course) and maybe even Touray Sisay, Idehen and Battersby. I assume that the weekly dependency on a lot of these young lads to fill in prematurely maybe about to stop.

There is potential that we may see a few contracted players depart this window so I think Hurst still has room to bring in more players, I believe he said we had room for 4, and I wouldn't be surprised if he signs 4 or more to be honest.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
moosey_club
January 6, 2021, 6:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner

I probably make it currently 22/23 first team players arguably...

I think technically despite  having squad numbers and minor EFL Trophy minutes or occasional appearances on the bench,  I wouldn't imagine Hurst would class Curran, Tomlinson, Hope, Starbuck, Painter, Khouri, Adlard, Boyd, Grist or Ben Davies as first team players. Obviously Davies is registered as an ad hoc player, but the others being young lads from the U23 squad and below I think it was stated somewhere that he had already separated a group of players from the first team, so I am assuming these would be those players (bar Davies of course) and maybe even Touray Sisay, Idehen and Battersby. I assume that the weekly dependency on a lot of these young lads to fill in prematurely maybe about to stop.

There is potential that we may see a few contracted players depart this window so I think Hurst still has room to bring in more players, I believe he said we had room for 4, and I wouldn't be surprised if he signs 4 or more to be honest.

Think he had the green light for 4 with no strings attached by the board, anymore over that would need outgoings first. Ohman and Mohsni have obviously already gone from the senior side , Morais replacing one of those effectively.
I have heard a whisper that Tilley could be on his way out.
Depending on the loan deal arrangements all of those going back may not free up a great deal of budget anyway.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
diehardmariner
January 7, 2021, 10:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
The Under 23 game yesterday might be the best indication we have of how Hurst is going to approach things.

It simply might not be as simple as just offloading players either, hence splitting them into two groups.

I think we would all love to see our young lads flourish at any point, but Hurst may well think that this is not the time to do that so their development is arguably going onto the back burner at this point.

Discounting those who are either youth team players or named in that Under 23 squad yesterday, I make it that we've got the following:

McKeown
Russell

Waterfall
Pollock
Hendrie
Preston

Hewitt
Rose
Clifton

Morais
Bennett
Williams
Scannell
Tilley
Wright

Hanson
Green
Gibson

18 players.  Even if we count Hewitt as a defender we've only got 5 but that leaves 2 central midfielders.  3 strikers but one is permanently injured.  Yet we've got 6 attacking midfielders/wingers.   That's a huge number for which can only really fill 3 places in the team if you work the formation around them.  

Clear that Hurst is looking at bringing a left back in.  Wouldn't be surprised to see a central defender, a central midfielder and a striker brought in as a minimum.  With two of the attacking midfielder/wingers going too, Bennett as a loan signing probably one.  

Don't think it'll just be about signing players for the sake of it either.  Hurst will want to have a balance.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 7, 2021, 11:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,907
Gold Stars: 179
Would like to see what hurst can bring out of scanell, once fit, and position he see’s him playing.

The same with any new manager, players will be linked from former clubs, but am not sure how that fits in with PH. I can’t see him raiding scunny and his acrimonious departure from Ipswich wouldn’t have yielded any confidence in players, so I would assume if it’s going to be anyone, it would be from his time at Shrewsbury.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
pizzzza
January 7, 2021, 12:11pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

The same with any new manager, players will be linked from former clubs, but am not sure how that fits in with PH. I can’t see him raiding scunny and his acrimonious departure from Ipswich wouldn’t have yielded any confidence in players, so I would assume if it’s going to be anyone, it would be from his time at Shrewsbury.

[img]https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/article4847430.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Lenell-has-a-bow-on-his-head.jpg[/img]
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
Nutsy
January 7, 2021, 12:25pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +157
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Would like to see what hurst can bring out of scanell, once fit, and position he see’s him playing.

The thought of Scannell and Morais in the same 11 is exciting.

IMO we need to get rid of Bennett - once we have Scannell/Wright back, no need for him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
January 7, 2021, 12:27pm
Guest User
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

From what I've seen of Scanell - which admittedly isn't much - if we play one up top, I'd have him as first choice for that position.

The competition isn't exactly red-hot, and he has a bit of swagger about him which I like. (I expect 442 from PH though)
Reply: 8 - 16
Mariner_09
January 7, 2021, 1:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Hanson and Scannell, if they can stay fit and that's a big if, with Morais wide right doesn't appear too disheartening. But we just can't afford to hope Hanson and Scannell stay fit because they can't and won't.

There's also a distinct lack of mobility in those 3 listed, even if you played Max Wright on the left it doesn't cure it. We can't get out of this by hoping our older, more experienced, and better players stay fit.

Hopefully he can offload Green, Bennett and maybe even Tilley and sign some more quality in there, even if it means having fewer players.

We also need another CB, our backup is currently Hewitt. I quite liked the look of Spokes when he played against Bradford was it? He was quite physical, seemed to have some metal about him. Which is what we need but the was one game. So I think CM reinforcements are necessary too, we probably need some more energy in there.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Loan Players

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.