Boris Johnson
January 6, 2021, 12:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
yes sad always

but not the most gifted of players technically, but an engine on him no doubt.

RIP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 6, 2021, 10:07am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Boris Johnson
yes sad always

RIP

He was superb. Control, passing, running with and without the ball and good in the air. His mantra to young players as youth coach was “head up, be aware”. Nearly 50 internationals playing almost directly in competition with Bobby Charlton and would have had many more.

Mike Summerbee said he just did not know how good he was. Tom Finney thought he was “some player”. Captain of Bury at 19. The list goes on - not bad for someone “not the most gifted of players technically.”

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
January 6, 2021, 10:38am
Guest User
yes sad always

RIP

Not for the first time I disagree, even in a tribute you have a dig, well he was technically gifted and had great energy. I suggest he watch a few of his games. I have listened to some of his teammates who said he had everything.
Reply: 12 - 23
January 6, 2021, 10:42am
Guest User
RIP a gifted player in every way.
Reply: 13 - 23
Grantham_Mariner
January 6, 2021, 11:20am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,196
Gold Stars: 51
Went to see Colin Bell (+Franny Lee & Mike Summerbee) around 1968. They were my favorite non-town players. As a 14 year old I caught the train to Manchester, found a bus to the ground by locating MC scarfs at a bus stop. Watched the match (Can not remember who against) sitting on wooden benches behind one of the goals. City scored 4 (Franny Lee got 2) and won, got bus and train back to Grimsby, all without my parents knowing! They thought I was going to Hull with a friends and his mother to buy a new coat. Before the match I had popped into C&A and bought a coat (wrong size - but I did grow into it).
As much as I enjoyed the experience, I lost interest in other clubs/players except Grimsby Town.

RIP Colin

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
Posh Harry
January 6, 2021, 12:53pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,370
Gold Stars: 36
yes sad always

RIP

You don’t score some of the fantastic goals he did without a superb technique.

RIP Colin
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
Bradford Mariner
January 6, 2021, 12:57pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +88
Gold Stars: 2
I started uni in Salford in 1968, I used to go to Man U one week, Man C the next.

I went away as a bit of a Man U fan like many at the time so I was watching Best, Stiles, Crerand, Stepney one week and Bell, Lee, Summerbee, Young, Book the next week.

Man City soon became my favourite non-Town team, their football was exhilarating, constant attacking football under Mercer+Allison and I stood in the shallow stand that was the Kippax and it was just brilliant to watch.

Colin Bell was just a magnificent footballer in that midfield, constantly driving the team forward at pace and the combination of Lee, Summerbee, Young and Bell was the best around at the time.

Really sad to see he's passed away.

RIP Colin
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
January 6, 2021, 1:08pm
Guest User
Quoted from 140067

Not for the first time I disagree, even in a tribute you have a dig, well he was technically gifted and had great energy. I suggest you watch a few of his games. I have listened to some of his teammates who said he had everything.

Reply: 17 - 23
Barrattstander
January 6, 2021, 1:32pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +876
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from moosey_club
Before my time really but was brought back to the limelight in recent years when City fans were trying to get the stand named after him in the clubs competition , "The Bell End " ,  an affectionate comical tribute to one of their greats.

I think that this was a poll that City ran to name the stands when they moved to The Etihad from Maine Road.
It got hijacked by United fans who proposed and then voted for this name, although the west stand was named "The Colin Bell Stand".

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
NorfolkImp
January 6, 2021, 1:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -524
Gold Stars: 11
Colin ‘The King’ Bell, his Mum died at a very young age (some reports say due to childbirth), his Dad a Miner and his older sister brought him up. When he was 2 years old he was kicking a football in the school playground whilst his Sister had lessons, as there was no child care available and his Dad was on a shift down the pit.

A wonderful trophy laden career cut short cruelly by a Martin Buchan tackle during a League Cup 4th Rd tie in 75’ that City won 4-0 ... ironic the Blues are playing the same opposition tonight?

Only David Silva in my opinion comes close to equalling the best player to represent MCFC (although older Blues say he was KDB, Yaya & Merlin combined i.e. the complete player)

RIP Legend💙😞

Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Colin Bell.  RIP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.