2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Sandford1981
January 5, 2021, 10:20am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
My missus is currently undertaking a mental health nursing degree through Lincoln University. Part of the course entails work placements.
She has received an email to say regardless of the lockdown they are still expected to do their placement.
They have advised that for this initial placement they will no longer being assessed on it, they are halving the amount of time required to 22 hours per week and reducing the overall length of the placement to 5 weeks from 6.
I foolishly thought under a duty of care for their students that these non essential placements would be put back.
I am concerned that at a time when we’re being asked to stay at home she is being asked to travel into an area with higher infection rates and then risk bringing it home for me and the kids to possibly catch. This is causing a bit of tension. Understandably my better half feels stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Am I being unreasonable?
Any advice?

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
ska face
January 5, 2021, 10:59am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,760
Gold Stars: 851
Think the first port of call would be the Advice Centre at the Students’ Union. Although not assessed, I imagine her placement might have further impacts on her Fitness to Practice - i.e. if she refused to do it she may have issues in gaining professional accreditation or registration in the future.

Given that the issue will be the same for all her course mates, I imagine the SU would be able to bring it up with the Course Leader/Head of Dept and find a suitable workaround. If not, they would be best placed to advise on her position re: extenuating circumstances.

Failing that, is she registered with a union at all?

The circumstances that student nurses have to work under are a National scandal. They are expected to pay to work, then study on top of that. The govt are using untrained, unqualified student staff as free labour to top up staffing caused by their cuts.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
Sandford1981
January 5, 2021, 11:09am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face
Think the first port of call would be the Advice Centre at the Students’ Union. Although not assessed, I imagine her placement might have further impacts on her Fitness to Practice - i.e. if she refused to do it she may have issues in gaining professional accreditation or registration in the future.

Given that the issue will be the same for all her course mates, I imagine the SU would be able to bring it up with the Course Leader/Head of Dept and find a suitable workaround. If not, they would be best placed to advise on her position re: extenuating circumstances.

Failing that, is she registered with a union at all?

Thanks for the reply.

No she’s not part of a union.

Apparently I am not the only other half to raise concerns and some of her mates on the course are also very worried themselves.
They have banded together and sent in some joint queries (some specifically around whether this is essential or not) to the course leader for more clarity and they’re awaiting a response.

Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
Rick12
January 5, 2021, 11:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Tough one as I know people working in frontline services as well and they have no option but to work. They get regularly tested and hopefully your wife is doing that as well.

She choose a laudable profession and  risks come with that.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
Sandford1981
January 5, 2021, 12:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
Tough one as I know people working in frontline services as well and they have no option but to work. They get regularly tested and hopefully your wife is doing that as well.

For this particular placement there doesn’t need to be any risk. I think that’s more my point. It’s a 3 year course and it can easily be put back.
If she was adding anything or fully qualified already I’d be less inclined to take issue but her mum and sister are nurses and they agree that student nurses will be a hinderance when they are so stretched already.
I’ve already resigned myself to the fact she will be going out and I just have to cross my fingers she doesn’t get it.

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
ska face
January 5, 2021, 12:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rick12

lmao, no. Good of you to send Sandford’s wife off into a needlessly dangerous environment with a slap on the back and your best wishes though.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
ska face
January 5, 2021, 2:26pm

Vodka Drinker
You said “frontline workers have no choice but to work”. This isn’t the case for the OP’s wife, who is a student. Thanks for your ill-informed and typically tone-deaf response though.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
Rick12
January 5, 2021, 2:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from ska face
You said “frontline workers have no choice but to work”. This isn’t the case for the OP’s wife, who is a student. Thanks for your ill-informed and typically tone-deaf response though.
Yes I made a mistake .Perhaps you can work on your choice of language though and not denigrate people  as you often tend to do. Kind of lowers you as a person.

Hence everytime you make a mistake and we all make them  do you want me to call you out and knock you calling you a t** etc etc. Isnt a good vibe. I rather try encourage and support someone.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
ska face
January 5, 2021, 2:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

Thanks for the reply.

No she’s not part of a union.

Apparently I am not the only other half to raise concerns and some of her mates on the course are also very worried themselves.
They have banded together and sent in some joint queries (some specifically around whether this is essential or not) to the course leader for more clarity and they’re awaiting a response.

Obviously it depends on the Course Leader, but if going direct doesn’t get the desired effect she should pick it up with her Course Rep or Academic Rep. These reps have slightly more weight and support in cases like this than students going directly/informally to course leaders.

Course Leaders, in my experience, will only really change their plans when leant on by those further up in the Faculty. With universities getting slated from all angles at the minute, and with student numbers (income) set to drop, someone a bit higher up might decide they could do without a “students forced into Covid wards” headline.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
ska face
January 5, 2021, 2:34pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
Yes I made a mistake .Perhaps you can work on your choice of language though and not denigrate people  as you often tend to do. Kind of lowers you as a person.

Hence everytime you make a mistake and we all make them  do you want me to call you out and knock you calling you a t** etc etc. Isnt a good vibe. I rather try to encourage and support someone.

Telling it how it is.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Help Advice or Guidance please

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.