Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › January - Pivotal month?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 256 Guests

January - Pivotal month?

This thread currently has 5,872 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Stew0_0
January 3, 2021, 11:44am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
I know that we have lots of the season left and all games are going to be important but feel that January is going to be a pivotal month for more than 1 reason.

Firstly our biggest transfer window since we returned to the league but if we look at the fixtures for the rest of January:

Port Vale (A)
Southend (H)
Scunthorpe (A)
Barrow (A)
Stevenage (H)

We really need to be picking up plenty of points in these fixtures or we could get set adrift of those above us by February.

Really hopeful that Hurst can get us drilled, bring in some quality and finally get this season started for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
lew chaterleys lover
January 3, 2021, 12:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Stew0_0
I know that we have lots of the season left and all games are going to be important but feel that January is going to be a pivotal month for more than 1 reason.

Firstly our biggest transfer window since we returned to the league but if we look at the fixtures for the rest of January:

Port Vale (A)
Southend (H)
Scunthorpe (A)
Barrow (A)
Stevenage (H)

We really need to be picking up plenty of points in these fixtures or we could get set adrift of those above us by February.

Really hopeful that Hurst can get us drilled, bring in some quality and finally get this season started for us.

Its not going to be easy though. He will have to get the men in that he wants, who are match fit and raring to go. They have got to gel with other new players and so on.

He needs two new strikers who are able to score goals, they are hard to come by at any level, so that is a tough ask.

One thing in our favour is that things are very tight at the bottom of league 2, and any number of clubs are in real danger. Our second half of the season cannot be worse than the first, so that is a plus.

Scunthorpe was even worse than we were when we played them, so that is a plus and they haven't got the impetus of a new manager/takeover so that could work in our favour.

We all wish him the best of luck, and he has done rescue acts before so that is also a good thing that he has that experience under his belt. If we can just survive this season and then the consortium outline their plans it could be very rosy indeed.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 44
toontown
January 3, 2021, 12:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
I don't think we need the hard to come by level of striker you are referring to, although that would be ideal. A striker who could get 12-15 or so a season would be an absolutely huge improvement on our current lot, who would all be on half that at best even if played consistently, I dare say green would be lucky to get 3 or 4.

We need 2 reasonable strikers at league 2 level. At the moment we have none.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 44
RonMariner
January 3, 2021, 2:01pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,798
Gold Stars: 226
Well December was pivotal too when we played Mansfield, Scunts, Southend and Bradford ion succession.  Sadly we only won one of those six pointers.

If Hollow Words was still in charge I wouldn't back us to win any of the nest five games. Thankfully he has gone.

If we get Hanson and Wright back, and start to bring in new players in the next fortnight, we have a great opportunity to pick up valuable points. All of these teams are beatable if we get our act together.

But I do not think it will happen without new signings.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 44
cmackenzie4
January 3, 2021, 2:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
I always find myself nodding in agreement when you post Ron, I agree if we can get Hanson and Wright back along with 2-3 quality additions we could pull away from the bottom, I must admit I’m starting to feel a bit nervous now though (especially after dropping into the bottom 2 yesterday)

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 44
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 3, 2021, 2:35pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
A further optimistic note - the next 3 games are all on Saturdays with no midweek games. Plenty of time on the training ground for Hurst and Doig to work with the players. I think they'll look very different when we play the Scunts. It also gives time for injuries to heal.

I don't share some of the optimism about 'if we get Hanson fit......' We have never had Hanson fit, I doubt he will ever be fit. Time to go.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 44
Poojah
January 3, 2021, 3:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
A further optimistic note - the next 3 games are all on Saturdays with no midweek games. Plenty of time on the training ground for Hurst and Doig to work with the players. I think they'll look very different when we play the Scunts. It also gives time for injuries to heal.

I don't share some of the optimism about 'if we get Hanson fit......' We have never had Hanson fit, I doubt he will ever be fit. Time to go.

Yeah, I must say that struck me in terms of the fixtures. It’s obviously been a weird season with seemingly relentless Saturday / Tuesday combinations.

A couple of full weeks between games will hopefully enable Hurst to impose his ideas on the team and get some much needed inbound and outbound business done.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 44
Mikey_345
January 3, 2021, 3:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,539
Gold Stars: 107
Stevenage also have quite a tough run in a short space of time once they start back in the league on 16th.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 44
Heisenberg
January 3, 2021, 3:33pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
I think we need to win at least 3 of those 5 or I fear we’ll be cut adrift. Thankfully I think Hurst can do it with several key incomings, but we really are taking it for granted that he can do that. I think getting Scannell back would be a huge boost.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 44
RonMariner
January 3, 2021, 8:32pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,798
Gold Stars: 226
Port Vale are currently bottom of the form table. We have a week to prepare, and some players coming back from injury (hopefully Wright and Hanson).   So it's an opportunity to get some points.

I am guessing its too soon to expect new signings, so we will have to go with what we have at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 44
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › January - Pivotal month?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.