Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Optimism!!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 214 Guests

Optimism!!

This thread currently has 5,025 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Sinkfortheladies
January 2, 2021, 10:24pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +63
Gold Stars: 1
That second half performance today has filled me, normally the pessimistic type, with hopeful optimism that we have the characters in the squad, before any additions to be able to have a successful January on the pitch in what is arguably the biggest month in recent memory for GTFC.

I do not necessarily think that we need to make as many signings as some people have mentioned.
With the potential return to training next week of Macca, Wright and Spokes added onto the impressive second half, in which we were the better team against a strong Cambridge side.

All efforts throughout the next couple of days will undoubtedly be focused on bringing in a centre forward or two and if that turns out to be the only business done, I would be happy.

Yes, there is probably need for another Left Back to challenge Preston and maybe a Central Midfielder who can get on the ball and create.

That being said, I do believe that with ;

Macca
Hendrie Pollock Waterfall Preston
Morais Clifton Spokes Wright
          New Signing x2

That is a group of 9 players that have enough quality and character to gain us valuable points this month and push us on into the rest of the season.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Poojah
January 2, 2021, 10:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Congratulations on the username, nice work.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 28
Yoda
January 2, 2021, 10:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
If the season finishes we will stay up depends on the covid postponements
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 28
toontown
January 2, 2021, 11:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Sinkfortheladies
That second half performance today has filled me, normally the pessimistic type, with hopeful optimism that we have the characters in the squad, before any additions to be able to have a successful January on the pitch in what is arguably the biggest month in recent memory for GTFC.

I do not necessarily think that we need to make as many signings as some people have mentioned.
With the potential return to training next week of Macca, Wright and Spokes added onto the impressive second half, in which we were the better team against a strong Cambridge side.

All efforts throughout the next couple of days will undoubtedly be focused on bringing in a centre forward or two and if that turns out to be the only business done, I would be happy.

Yes, there is probably need for another Left Back to challenge Preston and maybe a Central Midfielder who can get on the ball and create.

That being said, I do believe that with ;

Macca
Hendrie Pollock Waterfall Preston
Morais Clifton Spokes Wright
          New Signing x2

That is a group of 9 players that have enough quality and character to gain us valuable points this month and push us on into the rest of the season.

UTM

I don't share your optimism of having a CM  on which our football league status depends based on a teenager who has had about 3 shite games and then 1 semi decent 'breaking up play' performance in a local derby.

We need at least 2 in midfield as well as 2 in attack absolute minimum
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 28
Boris Johnson
January 3, 2021, 12:33am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
The defence is rubbish...Dont be surprised to see Waterfall, Preston and Hendrie replaced.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 28
gtfc_akpa_akpro
January 3, 2021, 12:37am

Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -3
Approval: +104
Gold Stars: 9
Unsure if you listened to the post match interview but Hurst’s words were correct. It’s easy to look like you are dominating a team that are 2-0 up and sitting in to defend a lead. In the interest of balance, the creativity was better and it was certainly more positive. What it did mask was how devoid we were of ideas and balance when the scores was 0-0/1-0. I feel there is plenty of work to be done in terms of getting the 11 to work as a unit. Quite clearly need a striker with some presence to look after possession and feel that Waterfall needs replacing.

i would really like to know biccys favourite biscuit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 28
gtfc_akpa_akpro
January 3, 2021, 12:38am

Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / -3
Approval: +104
Gold Stars: 9
I would like to add that I certainly optimistic that we will get on the right track and Hurst is the correct man to take us forward.

Roll on next Saturday

i would really like to know biccys favourite biscuit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 28
Sinkfortheladies
January 3, 2021, 12:46am
Coke Drinker
Quoted from toontown

I don't share your optimism of having a CM  on which our football league status depends based on a teenager who has had about 3 shite games and then 1 semi decent 'breaking up play' performance in a local derby.

We need at least 2 in midfield as well as 2 in attack absolute minimum

Do not get me wrong I am not saying Spokes is the second coming of Pouton…. But for the games we have got coming up this month, all relegation 6 pointers, a midfield pairing of Clifton and Spokes will provide energy and do the ugly stuff that is needed in our current predicament.

The job is a pretty simple one. Break up play, pass the ball on to the wide players and try get into the box for crosses.
I do not believe there will be many central midfielders available that can come into our side and perform the nitty gritty straight away.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 28
Sinkfortheladies
January 3, 2021, 1:00am
Coke Drinker
Quoted from gtfc_akpa_akpro
Unsure if you listened to the post match interview but Hurst’s words were correct. It’s easy to look like you are dominating a team that are 2-0 up and sitting in to defend a lead. In the interest of balance, the creativity was better and it was certainly more positive. What it did mask was how devoid we were of ideas and balance when the scores was 0-0/1-0. I feel there is plenty of work to be done in terms of getting the 11 to work as a unit. Quite clearly need a striker with some presence to look after possession and feel that Waterfall needs replacing.

Yeah, I heard the post-match interview, was good to listen to an actual reaction of the match then listen to someone waffle about COVID.

I feel like it was a very ‘Town’ performance, when we have nothing to play for, we start playing well.
Whilst agreeing with that, I still feel a month ago we would have just folded and not shown anything so that is what got me optimistic.
I agree that Waterfall should at the very least be dropped, but as I said all efforts should be on acquiring a striker that can come in to the team and gives us that edge that Mullin gave Cambridge today.

If we do manage to get a decent frontman in within the next week then getting a defender in with some pace is probably the next place to strengthen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 28
HarrogateMariner
January 3, 2021, 1:14am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +479
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Sinkfortheladies

Do not get me wrong I am not saying Spokes is the second coming of Pouton…. But for the games we have got coming up this month, all relegation 6 pointers, a midfield pairing of Clifton and Spokes will provide energy and do the ugly stuff that is needed in our current predicament.

The job is a pretty simple one. Break up play, pass the ball on to the wide players and try get into the box for crosses.
I do not believe there will be many central midfielders available that can come into our side and perform the nitty gritty straight away.

Completely agree with this. For me the worst culprits (players) for our current form are the experienced players who should be playing far better, Rose the biggest culprit. He has never looked like a promotion winning player. For what we need right now, based on players we have and not including signings, Spokes and Clifton should be first choice in the middle for the reasons you outline. I would have Hewitt alongside Pollock at the back.

I do not blame the young and non league players for our position. Who knows what Holloway said to them when they signed (they probably had no idea) but I doubt they expected to play many games this season. Were we have been let down is the form of the more experienced players such as Rose, Williams, Bennett, Green. If these all played to their previous standards it would be much easier for the younger and non league players to play alongside.

Overall, I do believe Hurst will get us out of this and there was some positives today. However I also don't think we will see loads of signings this month. I think Hurst almost hinted at this in his post match interview when saying he only wants players prepared to battle and fight. It's going to be hard to find exactly what we need in 4 weeks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 28
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Optimism!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.