December 28, 2020, 9:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from arryarryarry

Not everybody thought that.

Perhaps not, but it was a seriously underwhelming signing on paper. He'd been sent out on loan from a struggling Lincoln side to Wrexham who were struggling even more at the time, and subsequently sent back.

You have to give credit to Hurst on that one - he saw something that few others did at that time.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
lew chaterleys lover
December 28, 2020, 9:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,746
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from promotion plaice

I wonder if Hurst will be at the Oldham game.

I hope not unless he is sat next to Shutes!
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
LouthMariner
December 28, 2020, 10:56pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +104
Gold Stars: 3
Nolan was and still is leagues above us. He made the difference in us getting promoted, creativity and a good dead ball, something we had been missing year on year. We gave him a platform to be seen, to push on higher. Right now I would be happy to get some more Nolan's, even if its just until the end of the season. Would beat the lot we have right now.

As for Hurst, would have him back in a heart beat. I wasn't the biggest fan, found his style boring snd a little negative. But after the shambles we have had since he left, he knows how to put a team together, a team that play together. Honestly, that's all I want to see, a team that tries hard and play together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
KingstonMariner
December 29, 2020, 1:06am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Poojah

Perhaps not, but it was a seriously underwhelming signing on paper. He'd been sent out on loan from a struggling Lincoln side to Wrexham who were struggling even more at the time, and subsequently sent back.

You have to give credit to Hurst on that one - he saw something that few others did at that time.

I never knew anything about him until I turned up at Bromley and thought he looks promising. Comments on here seemed to be roughly evenly split between pro and anti. Maybe 60% in favour.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
Gainsbro_Mariner
December 29, 2020, 10:50am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from Poojah

I’m trying to think of a player who was as ill received on his day of signing that went on to be a better player than Jon Nolan, and I’m struggling.

People were pretty underwhelmed by the signing of Craig Clay who went on to do well for us, but he wasn’t quite in the same league as Nolan.

I seem to remember there being people genuinely underwhelmed at Lawrence when he signed Micky Boulding in 2001. Seeing as he was an ex Tennis pro and although steady at Mansfield he wasn't anything to write home about.

Gary Cohen on loan from Gretna, hardly any playing time previously in his career, turned out to be decent before getting injured.

They are the only two I can think of off the top of my head.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
Poojah
December 29, 2020, 12:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner

I seem to remember there being people genuinely underwhelmed at Lawrence when he signed Micky Boulding in 2001. Seeing as he was an ex Tennis pro and although steady at Mansfield he wasn't anything to write home about.

Gary Cohen on loan from Gretna, hardly any playing time previously in his career, turned out to be decent before getting injured.

They are the only two I can think of off the top of my head.

They’re both great shouts. I remember watching Boulding make his debut in a mad 3-3 at Stockport and wondered where we’d found him - unreal pace and eventually after a bit of coaching a great striker’s instinct.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bradford Manager announcement

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.