Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Brexit deal agreed
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 15 Guests

Brexit deal agreed

This thread currently has 25,292 views. Print
55 Pages Prev ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 Next All Recommend Thread
Limerick Mariner
June 5, 2023, 10:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,719
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Maringer
The point is that Blair was way, way to the left of where we see Starmer standing now, and Labour PMs since the 70s have tended to drift rightward when in power. Economically speaking, Starmer and Reeves have clapped the shackles on themselves already with their nonsensical 'fiscal rules' so it will be impossible for them to turn the ship around following the wrecking we've seen since 2010. Starmer simply doesn't understand how the economy works and, unfortunately, he's reliant on Reeves to tell him what's what. She's useless - her BoE background just reinforces why the Bank has made such poor decisions in recent decades. If those in charge think like her (and they do), it's no wonder we're on the rocks without a lifeboat in sight. Even Balls had a bit more awareness and he was useless when push came to shove.

Blair was seriously flawed in many respects, but he (along with Brown) recognised that a lot more public spending would be required to fix the NHS and the other parts of the economy laid waste during the Thatcher/Major years. They spent the money to steady the ship (and not always wisely after continuing the wasteful PFI started under Major), but weren't brave enough to do the necessary things which would help return us to where we were during the post-war consensus - increase taxes, reduce inequality, take utilities back into public hands, try to deal with the broken housing market, etc etc etc. They were just following the neoliberal handbook on the assumption that it was the answer and it certainly wasn't. Thatcher famously said that Blair and New Labour were Thatcherism's greatest achievement. If I was the type of New Labourite currently pulling Starmer's strings, I'd be thinking about that very seriously. Unfortunately, they aren't because, what the New Labour years showed them, is that being in power is all that count, even if you don't achieve anything with it (other than personal benefit, of course). It means we've ended up with an empty shirt such as Starmer as head of the party when he doesn't really have a proper plan to improve things enough when he gets into power. I'm not encouraged by the fact that, unlike Blair, he hasn't even waited until he got into power before starting to break the promises made to Labour Party members when he was trying to become party leader.

Unfortunately, the failure of New Labour to do anything much more than tinker around the edges meant that it was incredibly easy for the Tories (and their inept backers the LibDems during the coalition years), to start to swing the wrecking ball once again and they've not stopped yet. Rocketing inequality, massive falls in living standards and the refrain that, 'We can't afford it', whenever something more than mildly left wing is suggested. Bevan achieved so much in one parliament and it worked so well that it was 30 years before the Tories made serious attempts to start to break down the post-war consensus. To do this, of course, they started with lies, blaming the Labour government for the energy crisis caused by conflict in the Middle East! Just like the Tories blamed New Labour spending for a global financial crisis!

On the assumption that Starmer wins power, in the following election, you can bet your bottom dollar that they will recycle this trick to distract from any gains made, however meagre they might be.

I've never been a member of a political party, but wouldn't touch Labour with a barge pole with this current bunch at the helm. Our broken electoral system means I'll have to vote for the Labour candidate if there is any hope of getting rid of the Tories, but I will have to pinch my nose to do so. And believe me I absolutely flipping hate the Tories. Not the disinterested Tory voter, who backs them because they believe the lies they are told or are alright Jack, but those who run the party for the benefit of the wealthy and think intercourse the rest of us.

Until we get politicians with the courage to stand up to the media narrative and back some solid reforms which would only need to put us back closer to the liberal social democracies we see in most of Europe, the only way is down. Probably down more slowly under a Starmer administration, but down nonetheless.

You’ve just said it there - “our broken electoral system”. I practically got offered out but some of the Manchester Labour Party in the 90s when I said I’d vote Liberal tactically if required to keep the Tories out. They were so up their own arses they couldn’t see from from the relatively safe Labour seats in Greater Manchester, how easily the suburban masses of Basildon swallow their dose of the Daily lies.

You say we’ll just sink more slowly under Starmer; we have an 80 seat majority to overturn. Blair wasnt facing anything like that. If Starmer just slows the sinking in a first term that will do. For me it’s win at all costs and win again at all costs.. No Labour leader, or policies, can fix the wreckage of this country in even two terms. The radicalism needs to be in the electoral system to make sure Tories are reduced an unelectable Trussonomics rabble, the equivalent of Labour in the early 80s. I don’t want these cvnts in power again for the rest of my life.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 500 - 545
ska face
June 5, 2023, 10:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,752
Gold Stars: 851
Starmer’s already said he won’t touch the electoral system, join the single market or a customs union, so you’re already píssing in the wind.
Private Message
Reply: 501 - 545
Limerick Mariner
June 5, 2023, 10:49pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,719
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from ska face
Starmer’s already said he won’t touch the electoral system, join the single market or a customs union, so you’re already píssing in the wind.

Some cvnt politician said there wouldn’t ever be a customs border between our house and my wife’s brother and sister, but there is one.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 502 - 545
ska face
June 5, 2023, 10:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,752
Gold Stars: 851
Supporting a politician in the hope that he’s lying - but not lying to me (good guy), just lying to them (bad guys).

Pure galaxy brain stuff.
Private Message
Reply: 503 - 545
Sandford1981
June 6, 2023, 10:21am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

By the way - if anyone wants to watch great drama that helps understand our political history try “Our Friends in the North”

Brilliant series-it is a must watch!

I recently watched ‘The Killings of Tony Blair’ and I’d recommend that as a good documentary.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 504 - 545
Mappers
June 6, 2023, 10:34am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,400
Gold Stars: 119
What's left and right always wondered what that means when people say it to ?

Is one more extreme ideas and the other less extreme?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 505 - 545
Maringer
June 6, 2023, 11:04am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,629
Gold Stars: 185
Socially or economically?

Try this to work out where you stand:

https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

The social/economic aspects mean that people often vote against their best interests due to their personal beliefs. This is something that a proportional electoral system would help as you'd end up with parties which were socially conservative but economically liberal and vice versa.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 506 - 545
Mappers
June 6, 2023, 11:31am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Socially or economically?

Try this to work out where you stand:

https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

The social/economic aspects mean that people often vote against their best interests due to their personal beliefs. This is something that a proportional electoral system would help as you'd end up with parties which were socially conservative but economically liberal and vice versa.

Both I guess
Cheers mate i will give it a go and let you know what comes out on here !
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 507 - 545
Mappers
June 6, 2023, 11:57am
Champagne Drinker
Libertarian left it's come out with, I am sort of in the middle of that , what does that mean then?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 508 - 545
Mappers
June 6, 2023, 12:00pm
Champagne Drinker
I am not near China or North Korea on the graph , which I am quite happy about .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 509 - 545
55 Pages Prev ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Brexit deal agreed

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.