December 24, 2020, 11:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Question for you Swin.

If you were buying GTFC from John Fenty and you were aware of his track record, would you give him all the loan money back as part of the deal and pay him face value for his shares?

Depends how much I really wanted to buy GTFC (and why of course)

If I wanted it purely for the love of the football team probably not but if I was a property developer who saw the financial possibilities of in filling in the dock, building a new stadium, refurbishing the Ice House and other deprived area of the town and needed an EFL level team to put in it then yes

Surely a drop in the ocean like £1.5m can't be a sticking point

I think neither side is willing to give in and heads need knocking together bit like the Brexit deal I suppose. (Just hope Shutes and Co don't excrement on us like I fear Boris has over fishing rights)

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 51
immariner
December 24, 2020, 11:37am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Ipswin

But aren't the new mob supposed to be sweeping in to change all that and take us into the Premier League, investing in players and stuff Fenty is accused of not doing?

No flipping point in buying the club unless they want to improve things unless of course they are only interested in the stadium and Grimsby property refurbishment / development side of things...oh wait...

We have a £1.5m salary cap that we've effectively spunked, so there's little room.for manouvreing round this turdberg we're currently heading for.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 51
Ipswin
December 24, 2020, 11:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from immariner

We have a £1.5m salary cap that we've effectively spunked, so there's little room.for manouvreing round this turdberg we're currently heading for.

FFS we should be able to pay the bunch of shite we've currently got out of the club shop takings and still have change for a Fentyburger

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 51
Humbercod
December 24, 2020, 11:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,487
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from immariner

I absolutely have a problem with Fenty wanting his money back. Because it's his incompetence that created most of this debt, not ITV Digital or three-crested newts, but this club losing its football league status under his watch. The man's hubris and lack of self awareness is just gobsmacking.

Eh the club was saddled with debt when he stepped in!! I’m not defending Fenty’s reign but let’s stick to the facts, there wasn’t many people including yourself I guess that were prepared to step in and keep the club alive, this gets conveniently forgotten.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 51
Stranger in the Park
December 24, 2020, 11:57am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -188
Gold Stars: 7
I'm totally gobsmacked as to how nonchalant some people can be about other people's money. £1.5million is a colossal amount of money whatever your personal circumstances. To say you support the denial of a complete repayment as set out is ridiculous. John Fenty regardless of the club's position or status supported the club financially and made sure it was free of debt- no mean feat in itself. Regardless of your personal feelings for him, just what do you really know about Shutes & Co. So far , it seems to me that he has a reluctance to prove that he has the necessary available and that he is only interested really in any spin-off redevelopment, which apparently is his means of income. Be wary of what you wish for.
I do believe that it's in everyone's interest that JF should move on due to the hostility towards him but by the same token, there is no excuse for not repaying him as without his financial support we would have possibly sunk out of sight. Let's not forget that most of his predecessors were not that popular as well (it's a thankless job in honesty).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 51
MuddyWaters
December 24, 2020, 11:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Humbercod

Eh the club was saddled with debt when he stepped in!! I’m not defending Fenty’s reign but let’s stick to the facts, there wasn’t many people including yourself I guess that were prepared to step in and keep the club alive, this gets conveniently forgotten.

It was, of course, his choice. Nobody else's. Since then, he's always had to blame someone or something else. Never his fault.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 51
davmariner
December 24, 2020, 11:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,959
Gold Stars: 79
I'm totally gobsmacked as to how nonchalant some people can be about other people's money. £1.5million is a colossal amount of money whatever your personal circumstances. To say you support the denial of a complete repayment as set out is ridiculous. John Fenty regardless of the club's position or status supported the club financially and made sure it was free of debt- no mean feat in itself. Regardless of your personal feelings for him, just what do you really know about Shutes & Co. So far , it seems to me that he has a reluctance to prove that he has the necessary available and that he is only interested really in any spin-off redevelopment, which apparently is his means of income. Be wary of what you wish for.
I do believe that it's in everyone's interest that JF should move on due to the hostility towards him but by the same token, there is no excuse for not repaying him as without his financial support we would have possibly sunk out of sight. Let's not forget that most of his predecessors were not that popular as well (it's a thankless job in honesty).

So not move on because he’s incompetent, but because fans don’t like him? Give your head a wobble. He’s toxic because he’s an incompetent narcissist.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 51
MuddyWaters
December 24, 2020, 12:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236

Yes, it's a thankless task if you stack up substantial losses, get your club relegated by poor appointments, don't get promoted when you go back on a deal with your manager, fall out with the local radio, renege on deals with top players (Vernam, Amond, Coyne), blame everyone else.

Simply put, JF has had nearly 2 decades to leave a legacy. Look at it.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 51
immariner
December 24, 2020, 12:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Humbercod

We'll never actually know what would have happened, so whilst having respect for Fenty's initial involvement, I don't swallow that everythimg that came after that should be considered as Fenty's benevolent philanthropy, rather than his impotent stewardship. He decided to cover those losses, losses signed off by him, as cutesie little "benign" loans, when he could have covered the shortfall by invessting in shares instead.

And intercourse off with the sanctimony. We've all stepped in over Fenty's tenure in our own ways, probably stretching into 5 figures for most of us. Fenty wants to walk away at the end of this, having recouped essentially everything. I'm not having it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 51
aldi_01
December 24, 2020, 12:18pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473

Your Fenty sized present under your tree must be flipping enormous...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dear John

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.