December 18, 2020, 7:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
In the Guardian..

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/18/matt-tees-obituary

Matt Tees, who has died aged 81, was a Scottish professional footballer, a prolific header of goals and one of the quiet giants in the lower leagues of the English game. He scored 151 times in 361 games.

Born in Johnstone, Renfrewshire, the son of Hugh Tees, a labourer, and Sarah (nee Murney), Matt attended the local St Margaret’s Roman Catholic school before beginning work as a machinist with Stoddard Carpets in Elderslie. He played football for Penilee Athletic, Cambuslang Rangers and Forfar Athletic before joining the Scottish First Division side Airdrieonians as a semi-professional in 1960.

Matt wowed crowds at Airdrieonians, and later at Charlton Athletic and Luton, but was nowhere more applauded and adored than at Grimsby Town, where two spells earned him enduring status. He joined Grimsby in 1963, scoring a debut goal against the England keeper Gordon Banks in a pre-season friendly.

After a successful spell at Charlton Athletic (1967-69), at Luton he briefly played the senior role in a partnership with a young Malcolm Macdonald, before a celebrated return to Grimsby in 1970. The Mariners had suffered serious decline in his absence but this second coming doubled attendances and Tees’ goals brought the good days back to Blundell Park.

When Lawrie McMenemy arrived to manage “The Town”, he sensed potential problems in this fellow, “... older than the rest, 10-stone wet through, smoking a pipe, and with legs like pipe-cleaners who did not look strong enough”.

Matt would prove his strength, and more, with seven goals in five games over 14 days to kickstart a season that would end with a 28th Tees goal in front of 23,000 in a Fourth Division championship decider.

The modesty of the man was demonstrated long afterwards by his insistent acknowledgment of teammates including Mike Hickman, Dave Boylen and Stuart Brace as key to his achievements.

The 2017 documentary Alan Shearer, Dementia, Football and Me, featured Matt, at home with his grandchildren, reflecting on how they did not remember him in his prime. A faithful multitude of followers do, fondly and with great affection. I last saw Matt, perhaps two years ago, on a Cleethorpes street. He was running to catch up with May, his wife, after sharing memories with another grateful admirer. He approached her with that shuffling, stuttering, almost tripping, movement many of us remember.

How often we saw it, in penalty areas across the land; Matt timing the run, then leaping, hanging in the air, awaiting crosses from Boylen or Brace, Jimmy Pennington or Brian Hill. It was his trademark manoeuvre, followed by glanced or powerfully headed goals that swelled the nets and filled our dreams for years to come.

He is survived by May, their sons, Neil and Andrew, and four grandchildren, Alex, Lucie, Joe and Matthew
Logged Offline
Private Message
KingstonMariner
December 18, 2020, 7:36pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
What a nice piece of writing to see out the week with.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
NorthseaMariner
December 18, 2020, 7:37pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
I remember watching his pre season goal against Leicester, I can still picture it.
I wish we had him now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
Yoda
December 18, 2020, 7:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
A missed legend and a true gent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
Ipswin
December 18, 2020, 8:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
That tribute sums up what matters in football in general and at GTFC in particular at the moment Not the pathetic in fighting, finger pointing, ghost written managerial statements, rumour mongering, accusations of blame and general bile directed at all and sundry

What a shame there are no gentlemen like Matt Tees left in the corridors of Blundell Park or players fit to lace his boots in todays squad

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
cardiffmariner
December 18, 2020, 8:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,320
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from Ipswin
That tribute sums up what matters in football in general and at GTFC in particular at the moment Not the pathetic in fighting, finger pointing, ghost written managerial statements, rumour mongering, accusations of blame and general bile directed at all and sundry

What a shame there are no gentlemen like Matt Tees left in the corridors of Blundell Park or players fit to lace his boots in todays squad

A wonderful tribute. Wish I’d seen him play.

Can we keep this thread about Matt Tees and all he brought to GTFC and end it there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
December 18, 2020, 8:12pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,468
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from cardiffmariner

Can we keep this thread about Matt Tees and all he brought to GTFC and end it there.

Hear hear. A master Mariner. RIP the King of Blundell Park.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
TownSNAFU5
December 18, 2020, 8:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
I did not know that he scored against the great Gordon Banks.

I love the emphasis ( rightly) that Grimsby was his spiritual football home.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
ginnywings
December 18, 2020, 8:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I was in that crowd of 23,000, as were many others on this site. That was the season I became hooked on the Mariners and was privileged to catch the end of Tees career. He looked more like a bus conductor than a fearless centre forward, but what a player.

I thought it would always be that exciting at BP.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
Les Brechin
December 18, 2020, 8:41pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
A great tribute, to a great man.

RIP King Matt.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Matt Tees Obituary

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.