Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Assistant manager.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 216 Guests

Assistant manager.

This thread currently has 5,417 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
December 7, 2020, 5:24pm
Guest User
Now we have been guaranteed a payout. Any chance the board fancies getting us an assistant manager. You know- like every other professional football club!
dicko995
December 7, 2020, 5:42pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -252
Gold Stars: 25
good idea salford. Ollie has stated he doesnt have time for much, he keeps out the way from contracts and getting rid, and he doesnt seem to be getting things right on the training ground, AL had a great repore with the players, i think GTFC are regretting letting him go , just to save some money. Would love to have him back to pick up the moral in this Club. TRhings have gone downhill a bit with fitness, and Anthony was keen on that, so i reckon a quick phone call to him would be a nice idea. Only my opinion, as i see the fitness levels in the Club at a dismal low. Maybe the fitness guide has put Hanson back, due to the wrong exercises, who knows. But Town were quite fit when AL was here. I,ll get me coat
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
Ruston AT
December 7, 2020, 6:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +427
Gold Stars: 10

I Though that what Ben Davis is?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
grimsby pete
December 7, 2020, 9:29pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Ruston AT

I Though that what Ben Davis is?

All but in name .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
fishboyUTM
December 7, 2020, 9:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from grimsby pete

All but in name .

And pay, no doubt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
pen penfras
December 8, 2020, 9:44am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from dicko995
good idea salford. Ollie has stated he doesnt have time for much, he keeps out the way from contracts and getting rid, and he doesnt seem to be getting things right on the training ground, AL had a great repore with the players, i think GTFC are regretting letting him go , just to save some money. Would love to have him back to pick up the moral in this Club. TRhings have gone downhill a bit with fitness, and Anthony was keen on that, so i reckon a quick phone call to him would be a nice idea. Only my opinion, as i see the fitness levels in the Club at a dismal low. Maybe the fitness guide has put Hanson back, due to the wrong exercises, who knows. But Town were quite fit when AL was here. I,ll get me coat

Who says it's anything to do with money? You think the board got rid of a member of staff that Holloway wanted to keep? I can believe they wouldn't give funds for hiring somebody new, I can't believe they'd get rid of somebody that Holloway thinks is important to his plans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
Tommy
December 8, 2020, 1:58pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
I thought the Limbrick departure had been done to death already on here?

Holloway didn't want to lose him.
Nor did the board/Fenty get rid of him behind Ollie's back.

They didn't set out to "get rid of AL to save money" directly. Although i guess indirectly that's what happened.

The club wanted all staff to take pay cuts. The players agreed but then changed their mind after direction from the PFA. But all the non-playing staff were still being put on the 20% (wasn't it?) pay cut. Limbrick didnt think this was right or fair if the players weren't on a pay cut. (Hard to argue with that principle IMO). So he said he didn't accept having his money cut and was subsequently put on furlough, whilst i think notice was served for termination of his employment.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
promotion plaice
December 8, 2020, 3:55pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

Offer Grovesy the assistant manager's role here before he takes the Gloucester City job  

https://www.gloucestershireliv.....k-gloucester-4776716

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
December 8, 2020, 3:57pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from promotion plaice

Offer Grovesy the assistant manager's role here before he takes the Gloucester City job  

They've missed a trick with that one. Too late now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
December 8, 2020, 6:39pm
Guest User
Quoted from promotion plaice

No thanks, I remember the last time he was involved in management here.

Reply: 9 - 25
Gaffer58
December 8, 2020, 6:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
It’s only been a few months with no assistant manager, we went a few years with no chairmen, so in the clubs eyes there’s no rush.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
KingstonMariner
December 8, 2020, 10:51pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Ollie said again tonight that he hasn't got time to show players what he wants from them (in answer to a question about Jackson and Sisay). That suggests he needs more support. Ben Davis not being formally the assistant manager....and don't most clubs at this level have a manager, assistant and first team coach. Like we did before Limbrick left.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
KingstonMariner
December 8, 2020, 10:54pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Tommy

They didn't set out to "get rid of AL to save money" directly. Although i guess indirectly that's what happened.

The club wanted all staff to take pay cuts. The players agreed but then changed their mind after direction from the PFA. But all the non-playing staff were still being put on the 20% (wasn't it?) pay cut. Limbrick didnt think this was right or fair if the players weren't on a pay cut. (Hard to argue with that principle IMO). So he said he didn't accept having his money cut and was subsequently put on furlough, whilst i think notice was served for termination of his employment.

Presumably then when his employment was terminated we saved his salary (less any compo). Now we're in the position of having to replace him either for 80% of what he was on or the same as what he was on. So we've not achieved anything.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
toontown
December 8, 2020, 11:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Presumably then when his employment was terminated we saved his salary (less any compo). Now we're in the position of having to replace him either for 80% of what he was on or the same as what he was on. So we've not achieved anything.

Well we've achieved not having his expertise for the last few months. Bravo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
arryarryarry
December 8, 2020, 11:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Tommy

I can tell you for a fact IH was quite scathing of AL after he had gone.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
KingstonMariner
December 9, 2020, 12:51am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

It's getting rid has worked out well for Ollie then.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
Tommy
December 9, 2020, 8:57am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from arryarryarry

Ok. Not publicly though, was he?

Do you mean scathing because of him leaving and not accepting the pay cut? Or in terms of his abilities?

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
Roast Em Bobby
December 9, 2020, 9:05am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,723
Gold Stars: 44
I think the fact that Ollie brought more players in after ALs departure would suggest it wasn’t about 20% of AL’s salary.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
golfer
December 9, 2020, 9:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Ollie said again tonight that he hasn't got time to show players what he wants from them (in answer to a question about Jackson and Sisay). That suggests he needs more support. Ben Davis not being formally the assistant manager....and don't most clubs at this level have a manager, assistant and first team coach. Like we did before Limbrick left.

If he hasn't got time to show players what he wants what on earth does he do with his time besides telling us how good he is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
ginnywings
December 9, 2020, 11:08am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from golfer

If he hasn't got time to show players what he wants what on earth does he do with his time besides telling us how good he is.

He obviously means he hasn't got any full weeks on the training ground. Play Saturday, Sunday off, one day to prepare for Tuesday. Play Tuesday, Wednesday off, two days to prepare for Saturday, We don't normally play a game every Tuesday in a normal season. That's got to affect sides with lots of new players and a new manager, more than it does teams who are more established in their squads and management. He's also trying to establish a more possession based game- can't be easy at the moment. On top of that, a lot of them are inexperienced at this level and need more coaching.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
golfer
December 9, 2020, 11:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Time to get a proper assistant
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
Ipswin
December 9, 2020, 11:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from ginnywings

He obviously means he hasn't got any full weeks on the training ground. Play Saturday, Sunday off, one day to prepare for Tuesday. Play Tuesday, Wednesday off, two days to prepare for Saturday, We don't normally play a game every Tuesday in a normal season. That's got to affect sides with lots of new players and a new manager, more than it does teams who are more established in their squads and management. He's also trying to establish a more possession based game- can't be easy at the moment. On top of that, a lot of them are inexperienced at this level and need more coaching.

I suggest he takes less time off and bloody quickly too!

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
sam gy
December 9, 2020, 11:36am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56

Perhaps thats the problem. I don't think we've ever had more than a manager an assistant manager doing all the coaching on the playing side. Ben Davies was brought in when Jolley departed and stayed on when Ollie came in, and that period is the only one in recent memory that i can think of where we had a manager, assistant manager and a coach on the books at the same time.

Guess you could add Doig to that list, when he was player coach under Scott and Hurst for a very brief moment in time.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
ginnywings
December 9, 2020, 11:39am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Ipswin

I suggest he takes less time off and bloody quickly too!

I would imagine IH works 7 days a week in one form or another. The player's need rest and recovery days, so that only leaves 3 days a week to work on training and tactics for two different opposition teams.

That's if our training ground isn't flooded of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
lew chaterleys lover
December 9, 2020, 12:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
I am surprised with all his contacts in the game he hasn't asked for temporary help from someone who has worked with him before - for free of course in our case!

Somebody out of work must be out there that would help a mate, surely?  
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
arryarryarry
December 9, 2020, 6:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Tommy

Ok. Not publicly though, was he?

Do you mean scathing because of him leaving and not accepting the pay cut? Or in terms of his abilities?

I heard about off the record comments to some of the press after a game, I believe he was having a go about him not accepting a cut in salary and about him not moving to the area but the way it was said sounded as if he wasn't bothered that he had gone.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Assistant manager.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.