Gaffer58
November 30, 2020, 12:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from ska face
Another 4 pages of the usual cry-babies complaining about another word they’re not allowed to say, is it?

Don’t you bores ever get tired of your victim mentality? It’s a wonder you manage to make it out of bed in the morning.

Ah, so I’m a victim now, sure if I look hard enough there’s bound to be a lawyer somewhere who would take up my case on a now no fee contract.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 62
ska face
November 30, 2020, 12:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from Gaffer58

Ah, so I’m a victim now,

No. That’s the point.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 62
diehardmariner
November 30, 2020, 12:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
I actually like the BBC and think the licence fee is great value.  On a daily basis I can find something to watch without too much trouble at all.  I dare say their website is the one I visit the most, their radio stations the ones I listen to the most, their podcasts up there as the ones I listen to the most too.  I think it works out at about £13 a month is it?  Lets put it this way, for me that's far better value than something like Netflix or Amazon Prime - I think they're about £8 a month each but I get way more than twice the value from the BBC than I do from either of those, Netflix is probably the better comparison as the benefit I get from Prime next day delivery in the two days before Xmas more than justifies the cost (but the media benefits of it are quite poor in my opinion).  

Compared to something like Sky, the licence fee is even better value.  I've got a very basic TV package with Virgin, one where it's bundled in with your broadband and phone.  I don't want any of the channels that come with it, to be honest I don't even know what ones I have!  The only channels I watch are the BBC ones or Channel 4.

I get it, people don't feel they should have to pay the fee and I do understand that.  But for me personally it represents superb value.

I can't say I particularly get worked up if they've got a 'woke' agenda.  I try to balance the news I take on board, whilst I like the BBC I don't use it as my sole source of information.  Equally so I can't say it bothers me what race, gender, religion, hairstyle etc. any of the presenters have either.  

I wonder if the people who get worked up about stuff like this are just fuelling the fire?  
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 62
blundellpork
November 30, 2020, 6:36pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,665
Gold Stars: 32
Completely agree diehardmariner that the BBC is incredible value. In no particular order- MOTD, Wimbledon and Line of Duty are probably worth the annual fee alone, and I would happily pay the same again if it allowed the removal of adverts on itv and channel 4. Over the years I’ve also been a huge consumer of their news and political shows, but have become quite disillusioned with their woke agenda over more recent years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 62
toontown
November 30, 2020, 6:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
I agree with You in many ways, but of course the penalty for not choosing to pay for say Amazon's services is you don't get their services, not a criminal offence and a fine. If that could ever be justified, it certainly can't now.

Just imagine if it didn't exist and they tried to impose that now...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 62
codcheeky
November 30, 2020, 7:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from blundellpork
Completely agree diehardmariner that the BBC is incredible value. In no particular order- MOTD, Wimbledon and Line of Duty are probably worth the annual fee alone, and I would happily pay the same again if it allowed the removal of adverts on itv and channel 4. Over the years I’ve also been a huge consumer of their news and political shows, but have become quite disillusioned with their woke agenda over more recent years.

Like you I am a fan of the BBC, varied programs of a consistently high standard and the radio is in my opinion even better. I say that as someone who watches none of the programmes you quote which shows how hard it is to please everyone.
I am not keen on their news and current affairs team, but there are plenty of other options.
We are in a time of unprecedented media saturation and language used has come under more scrutiny than ever before, it is up to our national broadcaster to attempt to set the highest standards possible, there absolutely should be a code of conduct and it should be followed, there are rules to every profession and journalism is no different, if a journalist breaks those rules they should expect to face consequences.
We are in a time of unprecedented equality awareness, we have made a transition from a patriarchal, homophobic society when I was young to one which everyone’s rights are supposed to be judged equally, along with that change in attitude must come a change in language, that so many on here get so upset about not being able to casually insult a gender or a sexuality says a lot about them, that some of these cannot see the irony in calling others snowflakes just shows how closed their minds are
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 62
arryarryarry
November 30, 2020, 10:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from codcheeky

Like you I am a fan of the BBC, varied programs of a consistently high standard and the radio is in my opinion even better. I say that as someone who watches none of the programmes you quote which shows how hard it is to please everyone.
I am not keen on their news and current affairs team, but there are plenty of other options.
We are in a time of unprecedented media saturation and language used has come under more scrutiny than ever before, it is up to our national broadcaster to attempt to set the highest standards possible, there absolutely should be a code of conduct and it should be followed, there are rules to every profession and journalism is no different, if a journalist breaks those rules they should expect to face consequences.
We are in a time of unprecedented equality awareness, we have made a transition from a patriarchal, homophobic society when I was young to one which everyone’s rights are supposed to be judged equally, along with that change in attitude must come a change in language, that so many on here get so upset about not being able to casually insult a gender or a sexuality says a lot about them, that some of these cannot see the irony in calling others snowflakes just shows how closed their minds are

So you think it's high standards to pay a twit like Gary Lineker 1.8 million pounds a year to front a football programme. For that alone the licence fee should be scrapped.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 62
Norseman
December 1, 2020, 12:00am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +284
Gold Stars: 48
If the BBC are so good then why not put it to the test and see how many subscribers they get. I personally dont watch live tv anymore because of all the  PC advertising, programming and biased  lefty reporting. However if people do want the service no problem. Privatise it and go subscription. Its people free choice then
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 62
fishboyUTM
December 1, 2020, 8:58am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Like many, I've moved over to on demand type television and rarely watch live TV. I would get rid of the licence which is an outrage but the missus watches all sort of soap nonsense and despite my words of advice, I fear she would invite any licencing man in and we'd be in court.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 62
Garth
December 1, 2020, 9:57am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
I agree with Ska Face.

Anybody using the word handbag should be frog marched to the nearest police station.

The person insisting he be frog marched should be done for cruelty to animals and French people
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Handbags

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.