3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
male private Nale
November 19, 2020, 7:08am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -924
Gold Stars: 136
So after signing 8 additional forwards Holloway now cites losing Hanson as the clear reason we are not winning and shipping goals for fun over last 3 games. You can't deny on his day he his quality at what he does but surely he would have brought in at least one of his octet that does a similar role.

There is something very 'Emperor's New Clothes' about Holloway and his transfer policy this season, at best questionable and at worst reckless.

He has been moaning about the 5 subs so lets so if this improves our fortunes.

We all want him to succeed and the buzz his arrival brought to the town was immense, yes Wuhan Flu ruined everything we had planned, probably biggest season ticket influx in years etc. etc. but it happened to every other league club too and some of them are sitting top of their respective leagues right now.

Just hope Holloway is not too pig headed to change things he thinks are right but obviously are not working and becomes as success as oppose to another big name manager on a downward trajectory to oblivion.(Dave Jones, Phil Brown etc.)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Ipswin
November 19, 2020, 9:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I think the only thing that might be built bearing Hansons name would be a new treatment room designed solely for his use

He's past it and we'll be lucky to get 10 games out of him and they probaly wont be full 90 minutes

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
Hagrid
November 19, 2020, 9:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,490
Gold Stars: 536
Hansons a very good player. No doubt. But to aim to build a team around him is at best Naive and at worst woefully incompetent. His body cant do it any more and surely Ollie knows that?  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
diehardmariner
November 19, 2020, 9:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
It's the loss of Billy Clarke that we've not addressed for me.

Hanson had already developed niggles before Holloway arrived and we saw limitations in his play.  Probably not his fault but when he's on the pitch, everyone else reverts to type and hits it long.  By this time last season we already saw teams tighten up on him with one in front and one behind, referee's ignoring it or giving free-kicks against us.

Clarke gave us someone in attack who had mobility, creativity but also that ability to hold up the play too.  
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
promotion plaice
November 19, 2020, 10:19am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200
Quoted from Hagrid
Hansons a very good player. No doubt. But to aim to build a team around him is at best Naive and at worst woefully incompetent. His body cant do it any more and surely Ollie knows that?  

Couldn't agree more.

I'm not one of the Ollie out brigade but if results don't start improving over the next few games I can see things starting to turn ugly I'm afraid.

Three points for us at Tranmere even a draw would certainly be a big lift, here's hoping.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 19, 2020, 11:01am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Billy Clarke was indeed the key to Hanson’s best play. He is a player with a football brain and that’s what’s lacking. Not searing pace or even masterful ball control, just the ability to read the game and know what to do BEFORE the ball comes, not be searching for a free team mate and faffing about in circles and backward passing after it comes.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
jimgtfc
November 19, 2020, 11:16am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Hagrid

“Woefully incompetent” Who is? Hanson? Or Holloway? I think that’s a ridiculous thing to say and some people need to get a grip of reality.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
horsforthmariner
November 19, 2020, 1:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 9
I suspect Holloway wanted to bring in another striker just didn't get anyone of the quality required willing to come here. You can have a go at the board saying they should have pushed the boat out but they were probably just thinking get through this season with a club reasonably still intact.

We've been average this season but not awful. We are not Slade mark 2 or Newall. I'm doubtful we'll end up in trouble. I say give Holloway time. If were still in the same position this time next year then maybe we can carp but I think we've had a couple of bad results, one in a pointless comp. Let's not get too carried away.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
arryarryarry
November 19, 2020, 1:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,038
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from jimgtfc

“Woefully incompetent” Who is? Hanson? Or Holloway? I think that’s a ridiculous thing to say and some people need to get a grip of reality.

Erm..............I think the words "aim to build a team around him" give the game a away.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
Tommy
November 19, 2020, 1:10pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Holloway hasn't built a team around Hanson. Hanson was already at the club, and we can't realistically afford another player of Hanson's quality and skill-set (but fitter) while Hanson and his no doubt substantial wage are still on the books.

Think some people are over-reacting to this comment anyway. I don't think he's said/meant that we're not winning because we miss Hanson. I think he just means we miss him, which we clearly do.

Regarding the comments about Billy Clarke, I agree, and think the closest we have to that now is George Williams.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A team built around Hanson

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.