Logged Offline
Private Message
Les Brechin
November 16, 2020, 2:57pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Mike Newell, without a shadow of a doubt.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 40
fishboyUTM
November 16, 2020, 3:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40
Bignot was a chancer,  who was out of his depth, who can forget his lop sided formation? But he signed some decent players and talked a good game. Michael Jolley cut his own throat by boring everyone to death, going man for man on the opposition when we HAD the ball meaning we couldn't ever score a goal, he was a fraud IMO full of his own self importance, dislked by the office staff and I hear the players who had no respect for him.

Paul Hurst was pragmatic rather than exciting but got the lads organised and was well thought of at the club. Alan Buckley is a God as far as I am concerned and isn't in this conversation. Slade was well meaning, I'm sure he worked hard and did his best, but he is a footballing dinosaur who brought a style of football suited to the 80's and would certainly have taken us out of the league again if the board hadn't internened. Jolley had some success when Slade was sacked simply because he wasn't Slade IMO.

Woodsy ultimately took us out of the football league, but the damage was done and the players were all scumbags. I'll have to go for Mike Newell who signed a bunch of arseholes who didn't care about consigning this great club to oblivion as long as they were drinking on the way to training. Absolutely scandalous and I'd hang them all. Newell would be the first to wear my noose.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 40
promotion plaice
November 16, 2020, 3:07pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

An honourable mention for Rob Scott  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 40
jamesgtfc
November 16, 2020, 3:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Woods was onto nothing inheriting that bunch of losers as his first job. I don't think anyone would have got them performing. Newell signed them, put together that team and created the terrible culture so it's a no brainer.

Jolley left under a cloud but he kept us up against the odds. You could argue that we were lucky but he still kept us up. Let's not forget that he gave our most saleable asset his debut in Mattie Pollock too. In fact, I can't remember young players getting a fair crack of the whip for a number of years.

Slade II was always going to be a risk and it was a disaster. Had we gone down, he would no doubt have ran Newell very close in this poll.

Hurst and Buckley shouldn't be anywhere near this poll.

Bignot was like a kid in a sweet shop and he signed the only Head of Recruitment I've seen in football that watched his employer every Saturday and put the cones out. He's been at Guiseley for a while but I don't think he's cut out for full-time football. He seemed to chat nonsense and the line ups and formations were baffling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 40
Boris Johnson
November 16, 2020, 3:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
I went for Newell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 40
Poojah
November 16, 2020, 5:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Looking back, Bignot's a really interesting one. The results for the most part weren't actually that bad, in fact he had some decent ones including:

3-0 Plymouth (away)
3-1 Carlisle (away)
1-0 Hartlepool (away)
3-0 Mansfield (home)
3-0 Leyton Orient (away)
3-1 Blackpool (away)

Incidentally, here's how his record compares to Holloway's thus far:

Bignot - P27 W9 D7 L11 (Win % - 33.3%)
Holloway - P28 W9 D8 L11 (Win % - 32.1%)

I think in the end it was more the madness that ensued around him that got him the sack, rather than the results per se. Still, I think I was as relieved as I've ever been when he got the boot. In spite of the results you could see he was a disaster waiting to happen.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 40
lew chaterleys lover
November 16, 2020, 5:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Leaving Sir Buckley out of it, I think a more pertinent question is why these managers turned out so badly, or the only one who had a modicum of success wanted to leave.

We should never have chosen Woods, and at the time there was a lot of speculation as to whether Slade was coming back. If he came back at all that was the time to do it, but we took the wrong option. We all love Woods, but to give him the job after all those games as a caretaker without a win, and expecting a novice manager to turn that lot round was an unforgivable decision by the board.

I think most of us wanted Newell at the time, but we expected the board to do the necessary background checks, so again the blame lies with the board.

We were at an incredibly low ebb when Hurst first arrived with Scott, but having got us back in the league we should have done more to keep him. Another board blunder.

Slade, Bignot and Jolley seemed to fall out of love with the club very quickly after talking a good game, and the feeling persists with me that they felt the club would never really progress whilst the current board was in place and got dispirited.  

It must be terribly difficult to get the right manager in, but when we do get a reasonable candidate it seems to go sour too quickly.

I was chuffed to bits when Holloway saw it as a long term project, and that he could change a lot over time, and I still hope he can once we get past this season.

Private Message
Reply: 7 - 40
Kris2
November 16, 2020, 5:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
Newell was somebody who came with a bad reputation and lived up to it I guess. Just genuinely didn't give a excrement and signed a bunch of people who wanted to be paid to drink and have a bit of a laugh. Made a couple of signings that generated some excitement but the majority were uninterested in getting back to their best as it was an easy job for them. Woods wanted to change all that and faced a rebellion from men, not boys who he wasn't used to coaching and didn't have the respect for him that those he had coached from a young age had.

Slade, old fashioned and wanted to sign his own players that were long past their best but did dig out Dembele to get us a bit of an investment. Jolly was a smarmy git who loved the smell of his own farts. Didn't seem very popular with people who work at the club, think he rubbed people the wrong way and it showed with the way he got fired why.

Bignot's results not bad and he signed some decent people along with some not so decent but was a nutcase. Suppose some on here would have been pleased if he successfully chased Macca out the club. The problem was he also chased Dean Henderson out the club too which they probably didn't want.

Hurst, not the most charismatic or exciting manager we've ever had but he achieved what he said he would. Bit odd in the way he left and think that could have been handled a bit better but whatever. Seemed to get on well with the board and people at the club, had the respect of the squad too which helped greatly. It helped him last long enough to finally achieve the goal of promotion.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 40
KingstonMariner
November 16, 2020, 5:32pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Newell presided over the rot setting in. Thoroughly unprofessional.

Woods inherited Newell’s dross and I think wasn’t given enough time in the Conference. A victim of unrealistic expectations of rapid promotion I think, whatever you think of his time in the relegation season.

Hurst was probably the best of the lot, though that might be a bit harsh on Sir Alan. Given what subsequently happened and penny pinching at the club, Buckley might well have been given a pig in a poke to work with. Based on his previous record I’d give him the benefit of the doubt.

Bignot wasn’t given enough time in my opinion. I’m always wary of so-called player unrest. They hardly covered themselves in glory when Bignot went and tore up no trees. Recuited some good players, made some baffling formation selections. Hampered by the loss of Bogle. Didn’t have time to see if it would work.

I’d put Slade almost down there with Newell.

Jolley’s time was frustrating in the end but undoubtedly saved us from a second relegation out of the League. I think that could well have saved the club from disappearing completely given what has happened this year. Would have got longer but got his rant.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 40
Ipswin
November 16, 2020, 6:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Poojah
Looking back, Bignot's a really interesting one. The results for the most part weren't actually that bad, in fact he had some decent ones including:

3-0 Plymouth (away)
3-1 Carlisle (away)
1-0 Hartlepool (away)
3-0 Mansfield (home)
3-0 Leyton Orient (away)
3-1 Blackpool (away)

I think in the end it was more the madness that ensued around him that got him the sack, rather than the results per se. Still, I think I was as relieved as I've ever been when he got the boot. In spite of the results you could see he was a disaster waiting to happen.

We scored a few goals tho'

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 40
Hagrid
November 16, 2020, 6:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,490
Gold Stars: 536
Newell no contest. Bignot was clueless, slade a decent bloke but so out of touch with the game. Jolley outthought everything. Hurst i liked a lot.  But the man who signed a bunch of self centred selfish pissheads who didnt give a intercourse about our club should be our worst manager of all time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 40
Rodley Mariner
November 16, 2020, 6:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Gold Stars: 178
I have loads of respect for Neil Woods and agree he was on a loser with the team he inherited from Newell. But his recruitment in the conference was awful and pretty much scuppered any chances we had to come back quickly.

Kempston, Watt, Ridley, Leary, Eagle, Makofo, Duffy, Cummins, Samuels. Cold sweat stuff that list.

Newell the worst though obviously.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 40
arryarryarry
November 16, 2020, 7:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Newell presided over the rot setting in. Thoroughly unprofessional.

Woods inherited Newell’s dross and I think wasn’t given enough time in the Conference. A victim of unrealistic expectations of rapid promotion I think, whatever you think of his time in the relegation season.

Hurst was probably the best of the lot, though that might be a bit harsh on Sir Alan. Given what subsequently happened and penny pinching at the club, Buckley might well have been given a pig in a poke to work with. Based on his previous record I’d give him the benefit of the doubt.

Bignot wasn’t given enough time in my opinion. I’m always wary of so-called player unrest. They hardly covered themselves in glory when Bignot went and tore up no trees. Recuited some good players, made some baffling formation selections. Hampered by the loss of Bogle. Didn’t have time to see if it would work.

I’d put Slade almost down there with Newell.

Jolley’s time was frustrating in the end but undoubtedly saved us from a second relegation out of the League. I think that could well have saved the club from disappearing completely given what has happened this year. Would have got longer but got his rant.

Given far too long in the League, shouldn't have been given any time in the Conference and he signed Lee flipping Ridley. Anybody who signed that useless twit shouldn't have been in charge of a cup of tea.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 40
Abdul19
November 16, 2020, 8:26pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I have loads of respect for Neil Woods and agree he was on a loser with the team he inherited from Newell. But his recruitment in the conference was awful and pretty much scuppered any chances we had to come back quickly.

Kempston, Watt, Ridley, Leary, Eagle, Makofo, Duffy, Cummins, Samuels. Cold sweat stuff that list.

Newell the worst though obviously.

To be fair to Woods, Newell signed Leary. Woods signed Lewis bloody Gobern though!  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 40
jamesgtfc
November 16, 2020, 8:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

To be fair to Woods, Newell signed Leary. Woods signed Lewis bloody Gobern though!  

Didn't Gobern bring a knife to Cheapside or have I imagined that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 40
ginnywings
November 16, 2020, 8:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Thought it was a butter knife from Cheapside canteen that he wielded.

Proppa gangsta.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 40
denni266
November 16, 2020, 8:37pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Newell by a mile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 40
Poojah
November 16, 2020, 8:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I think this one’s filed away neatly behind ‘Bignot pushes Henderson under the wheels of team coach’.

It’s 10 years ago so I forget the specific details, but I think he merely got filled in by Lee Ridley of all people, presumably deservedly given it was Gobern who was released from his contract.

He was subsequently forced to retire due to a ruptured ego.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 40
HertsGTFC
November 16, 2020, 8:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
What is it 84 votes so far and Hurst hasn’t had one yet ....

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 40
Rick12
November 16, 2020, 8:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Bignot ,Paul Hurst  ,Alan Buckley Woodsy , Mike Newell .
I would of liked Dave Moore to have been given a shot at the reigns. Strikes me as old school and a man with decent values. Iam sure he would have commanded the respect of the players. Saying that I know he didnt want the job but its a shame as I feel for one has the innate character to do really well in the management game.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 40
Rodley Mariner
November 16, 2020, 9:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Abdul19

flipping hell did he play in the football league for us?! That is scary.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 40
Sandford1981
November 16, 2020, 9:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from HertsGTFC
What is it 84 votes so far and Hurst hasn’t had one yet ....

Because it’s ridiculous he’s on that list at all, along with Buckley.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 40
Rick12
November 16, 2020, 9:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

Because it’s ridiculous he’s on that list at all, along with Buckley.

I feel for Hurst a bit though as well being on that list. Was under pressure to deliver here .Yes he was a bit dry in his persona but respect for getting Grimsby out of the non league.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 40
jamesgtfc
November 16, 2020, 9:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rick12

I feel for Hurst a bit though as well being on that list. Was under pressure to deliver here .Yes he was a bit dry in his persona but respect for getting Grimsby out of the non league.

Always a team throwing money at it and with only 1 automatic promotion, the play-offs are a lottery. Look at some of the teams still down there or even lower. Stockport, York, Wrexham, Notts County, Chesterfield.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 40
Rick12
November 16, 2020, 9:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Always a team throwing money at it and with only 1 automatic promotion, the play-offs are a lottery. Look at some of the teams still down there or even lower. Stockport, York, Wrexham, Notts County, Chesterfield.
Yes your right. Some teams paying decent money now in league 2.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 40
Abdul19
November 16, 2020, 9:45pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

flipping hell did he play in the football league for us?! That is scary.

Shared central midfield duties with Boshell, Hudson, Sweeney, Mendy and others. Incredible that we went down really.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 40
Rick12
November 16, 2020, 9:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

Shared central midfield duties with Boshell, Hudson, Sweeney, Mendy and others. Incredible that we went down really.
I seem to remember Leary was a tryer though and you have to respect that.

Sweeney was a player of note as had quality but a bit lazy. Played in the FA Cup final against Man Utd.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 40
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 16, 2020, 10:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,765
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Rick12
I seem to remember Leary was a tryer though and you have to respect that.

Sweeney was a player of note as had quality but a bit lazy. Played in the FA Cup final against Man Utd.

Sweeney and Conlon were both excellent performers during their loan spell and I remember being elated when they signed permanently that following summer. Sometimes we fans are so bloody stupid !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 40
Rick12
November 16, 2020, 10:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Sweeney and Conlon were both excellent performers during their loan spell and I remember being elated when they signed permanently that following summer. Sometimes we fans are so bloody stupid !!
Big Barry Conlon. I remember being impressed on occasion when I saw him. Sadly I think as others have alluded to liked the drink to much which let him down.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 40
jamesgtfc
November 16, 2020, 10:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
Yes your right. Some teams paying decent money now in league 2.

Difference being you can finish 3rd and still get promoted without the play-offs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 40
November 17, 2020, 1:35am
Guest User
Quoted from Abdul19

Sums it up, really.
Reply: 31 - 40
aldi_01
November 17, 2020, 5:54am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Not sure Hurst or Buckley should be anywhere near this list.

People might try he’d not to like Hurst but aside from Buckley, in the last 30 years he’s managed to do something nobody else has. I’d also argue he’s probably the last manager that built a truly galvanised side where everyone played for him and for each other. Also the last side as a fan most of us felt connected too.

Newell has to top that list, an absolute disgrace of a manager that assembled a disgrace of a side. Naturally Woods will forever be the man that took us down but he had his arm twisted and was left with nothing but a bunch of unprofessional male masturbators. It’s hard to find anything positive to say about that side.

Bignot comes a close second, too much bullshit and an absolute charlatan, albeit with the odd good result/away day.

Slade, who knows, it wasn’t too bad until the public meltdown and then it just fell apart. Jolley is similar for me, could pick a player but in truth knee very little. He did his job that one season but we never kicked on.

I appreciate that some of the shortcomings don’t have to be solely the fault of the manager, the players brought in, the board, off field stuff and so forth all form part of it but quite frankly, the squad assembled by Newell and he himself should never step foot in town again...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 40
Ashby mariner
November 17, 2020, 6:29am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 8
Hurst shouldn't be on the list. I would have him back at the club. The togetherness and team spirt he brought to the club was fantastic. In my opinion he brought in alot better callabour of players in compared to what we have seen in the last few years in league 2.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 40
fishboyUTM
November 17, 2020, 8:16am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,071
Gold Stars: 40

I was chuffed to bits when Holloway saw it as a long term project, and that he could change a lot over time, and I still hope he can once we get past this season.

After I grew up watching Town from around 1986, after a couple of relegations and the appointment of Lord Alan Buckley we generally fought above our natural level in the second tier. Nowadays, we are at such a low ebb, six years out of the football league, I believe we haven't finished above mid table in division 4 / League 2 for 15 years, we have a decaying ground, basic training facilitles and a sparse backroom staff. What I am getting at is we are a good sized club at this level, those six years hurt us off the pitch as well as off it though and we are behind similar sized clubs. But the baseline is so low, Ollie must know that and he has so much to improve on. We need to get the infrastructure right, to enable us to improve as a football club and that doesn't mean another portacabin. Ollie will get things right I am certain, good times are coming.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 40
jamesgtfc
November 17, 2020, 10:36am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
Not sure Hurst or Buckley should be anywhere near this list.

People might try he’d not to like Hurst but aside from Buckley, in the last 30 years he’s managed to do something nobody else has. I’d also argue he’s probably the last manager that built a truly galvanised side where everyone played for him and for each other. Also the last side as a fan most of us felt connected too.

Newell has to top that list, an absolute disgrace of a manager that assembled a disgrace of a side. Naturally Woods will forever be the man that took us down but he had his arm twisted and was left with nothing but a bunch of unprofessional male masturbators. It’s hard to find anything positive to say about that side.

Bignot comes a close second, too much bullshit and an absolute charlatan, albeit with the odd good result/away day.

Slade, who knows, it wasn’t too bad until the public meltdown and then it just fell apart. Jolley is similar for me, could pick a player but in truth knee very little. He did his job that one season but we never kicked on.

I appreciate that some of the shortcomings don’t have to be solely the fault of the manager, the players brought in, the board, off field stuff and so forth all form part of it but quite frankly, the squad assembled by Newell and he himself should never step foot in town again...

Hurst didn't take any prisoners. Any bad eggs were soon kicked out of the club. Your hands are a bit more tied in the league with a stricter transfer window. At Ipswich he couldn't get away with loaning a bad egg to the Conference who can sign players on loan outside of the window whereas you can still do that in League 2.

He played the percentage game but we were solid, worked hard and a lot of players moved local. A sign of a good man manager is when players follow them to their next club or stick around for a few years.

Ipswich was a step too far and I think he was the fall guy for things out of his control.

Only Buckley II and Slade I had a team spirit close to one Hurst built in my memory.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 40
diehardmariner
November 17, 2020, 11:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Of that list it's only really Newell who can top it in my eyes.

For the unprofessional side of it you don't need to go any further than the Paul Linwood podcast to understand what went wrong.   On the pitch, it was always summed up for me by the decision to play Ryan Bennett in central midfield before he was sacked.  

Early on I was really hopeful about Newell.  He came in and straight away identified the problem areas.  Arguably because of a lack of a budget or a lack of contacts/falling out of date with the game, Buckley's squad was pretty poor.  It lacked pace, creativity, any physical presence or cutting edge up top.  Newell straight away brought Jean-Paul Kalala back to add some of that to midfield and then added the likes of Dean Sinclair and Stuart Elliott.  Up top Jean-Louis Akpa-Akpro and Adam Proudlock came in.  Later on it was the likes of Joe Widdowson and then of course the initially excellent Barry Conlon and Peter Sweeney.  The signing of Wayne Henderson was a master stroke and I've always felt it was the single most effective transfer Newell made.  Conlon and Sweeney got the headlines but it was bringing Henderson in that steered us to safety that year.  

All in, he had to do what many managers had to do after him.  He had to rebuild mid-season.  Once it all started to settle towards the end of that season, it was easy to have hope for the following season.  Just thinking about Fenty getting carried around the Dean Court pitch on the penultimate day of the season still makes me shudder.

After that summer, it could have all gone so much better.  The problem was that Henderson was never going to stay so we ended with a well past his best Nick Colgan.  Conlon and Sweeney, two of the stars of the previous season, were clearly only interested when the dangle of a contract was there.  He also started bringing his drinking buddies in (Brian Stein anyone?) as his backroom staff.  

Needless to say that start to the season was one of the worst I've ever seen as a Town fan.  We were shambolic.

Woods inherited a squad that lacked discipline above all else but was completely unprofessional and for any faults he may have, was on an absolute hiding to nothing in taking that task on.  I don't blame him one bit for our relegation.  An experienced manager would have struggled with that dressing room, never mind one cutting his teeth.  Slade should have been given the card as it was what we needed.  Someone with experience and a hard edge.  

The Conference season under Woods was poor, but he still performed about the same in that first season (well, just under) than Scott and Hurst did for their first full season.  Hurst then got another 4 full seasons (I think 3 completely on his own) at getting the club promoted.  I do wonder how Woods would have performed with that length of time to build something.  

Hurst bored me but he should never be on any worst managers list.  He did the job eventually and was a proper Steady Eddie type.  Would never bust the budget.  Never got the club into trouble and never risked a major failure.  Much was made about the budget he had but I think it was always there or thereabouts of where we finished.  Top 5 but not quite the level of the big spenders in the league at the time.

Bignot - hmm.  There's an argument that he came in here with the remit to build something for the future and he had time to do it.  He certainly was trying to do it and you can't fault him for looking at investing in a bright future with the players he brought in.  It was exciting for a bit and probably what we needed, especially after a few years of Hurst's dour approach.  Those early games especially were very exciting.  But just chaos overall.  Recipe for disaster and Fenty was right to get rid as soon as possible.  From the outside looking in it was bizarre but after his final game (3-1 win away at Blackpool) I remember talking to a Town fan on the Blackpool Pier, he only loosely followed us and went to the game as he was in the area.  He asked what I thought about Bignot and I told him it was carnage, he couldn't believe it and thought I had unrealistic expectations especially after beating a side (that ultimately went up that year) at home.  The week before we played Donny at home and got thrashed, with little to play it and our local derby game that season, Bignot opted to try out Dan Jones in midfield.  It summed him up, he didn't really get it.

Slade Mk II - Ugh.  I think it's probably only the fact that Newell was so bad and that Jolley saved us that Slade isn't top actually.  Had we gone down that season Slade would have been fully responsible.  The football was awful, truly awful.  He got rid of Shaun Pearson for Nathan Clarke and of course there was that rant at Matt Dean and trying to show a PowerPoint presentation over the radio.  His saving grace is that the squad he built was ultimately good enough to stay up, Newell's wasn't.  

Buckley Mk III - Started well and he did try to bring in young and exciting talent.  Danny North, Andy Taylor, Ryan Bennett, Nick Hegarty...they all got their first real run in the team under Buckley and he also brought in the likes of Rob Atkinson and Peter Till.  But the last six months were so dull.  The end of the 07/08 season wascompletely masked by the Wembley appearance.  He probably should have gone that summer and his recruitment was terrible (Matt Heywood, Richard Hope, Chris Llewellyn....).  That spell tainted his legacy a bit but I think it's largely just forgotten about now.

Jolley - Not a chance.  Turned out to be out of his depth and it seems not a particularly nice person either.  But I'm still in awe that he kept that side up that season.  Real fleeting moments of something special being built but it never materialised into anything concrete.  Regardless of how it ended, he kept us out the Conference that spring and probably saved the club in the process.  We shouldn't forget that.
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 40
Kris2
November 17, 2020, 12:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Wait....Nick Colgan had a best!? I guess that one season at Barnsley was his best but made a career of being a bench warmer. 22 years in the game and less than 300 appearances in league competitions says it all.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 40
aldi_01
November 17, 2020, 10:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Kris2
Wait....Nick Colgan had a best!? I guess that one season at Barnsley was his best but made a career of being a bench warmer. 22 years in the game and less than 300 appearances in league competitions says it all.

A former colleague was a scout for Liverpool, had the pleasure of attending many a game with him.

Saw Huddersfield once when Colgan was GK coach, sat in the fancy seats, he comes out the tunnel and dropped everything...I let him know I was town fan. Steward threatened my removal, was worth it.

The man never had a best, professional bench warmer. Never forget his howler against Bournemouth at BP...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 40
Abdul19
November 17, 2020, 10:36pm

Season Ticket Holder
Colgan proved right that old saying about never going back!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 40
Kris2
November 18, 2020, 8:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

A former colleague was a scout for Liverpool, had the pleasure of attending many a game with him.

Saw Huddersfield once when Colgan was GK coach, sat in the fancy seats, he comes out the tunnel and dropped everything...I let him know I was town fan. Steward threatened my removal, was worth it.

The man never had a best, professional bench warmer. Never forget his howler against Bournemouth at BP...

Him walking out the tunnel and dropping everything is somehow the perfect description of what it's like having Nick Colgan as your keeper during his playing career. I'm all for giving new signings a chance without judging them by their past career but it was apparent right away he wasn't good enough to be a first choice keeper. Looked completely lost between the sticks falling over his own feet like Bambi on ice.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 40
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Worst Manager in Recent Times

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.