2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Stew0_0
November 12, 2020, 9:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
Interesting to see Englands formation tonight. A 3-4-3. But this formation is something i have felt towns current side could handle or move too. Ollie has been impressed with the performances of Ohman in recent weeks and it goes without saying that weve looked strong with Waterfall and Pollock in the middle. So why not play all 3.

In attacking movements weve lacked a cutting edge therefore effectively adding a 4th midfielder into the mix could improve us going forward.  Hendrie and Preston have a good workrate, engine and delivery at wingbacks plus the ying/yang in the centre with a creative williams and steady Rose could be a combo.

Up top and obviously with players back from injury a Gibson, Tilley or Wright (left) and Edwards, Scannell or Jackson Jnr (right) either side of a central Windsor would certainly make us more busy going forwards

Might be worth a try and wondering if Ollie has considered it. Might have played a similar setup with Idehan involved but certainly not with a flat 2 in the middle with wingbacks
Logged Offline
Private Message
GollyGTFC
November 13, 2020, 11:08am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,049
Gold Stars: 358
We've played 3-4-3 several times this season including last Tuesday.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 16
Tommy
November 13, 2020, 11:22am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
Yep.....what Golly said. We've played 343 in about half of our games this season.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
jimgtfc
November 13, 2020, 11:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 45
I think a Pollock and Waterfall partnership is about the only settled area of the entire squad. A few clean sheets between them, not their fault there’s nothing in front of them.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
Boris Johnson
November 13, 2020, 2:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Pollers and Waters have been our best players, I like D Preston as well.

So Im a 4 at the back man with Hendrie....

means not a jot, as the rest of the side is pretty rubbish anyway, but we shouldnt get twatted every week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
Hagrid
November 13, 2020, 3:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,489
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from Boris Johnson
Pollers and Waters have been our best players, I like D Preston as well.

So Im a 4 at the back man with Hendrie....

means not a jot, as the rest of the side is pretty rubbish anyway, but we shouldnt get twatted every week

Please never call them that🤢 but i agree.  Defence is not the problem.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
Bigdog
November 14, 2020, 11:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Hagrid

Please never call them that🤢 but i agree.  Defence is not the problem.

Defending is definitely not as much of a problem as other areas. Conceding 12 in 10 games suggests that. I always measure the players to the standard we need to get promoted. Pollock and Waterfall are great in the air and strong in the tackle but are susceptible to struggling with pacey forwards and Waterfall especially struggles with the ball in the playing out from the back style of play IH requires. Hendrie is quality for this division and Preston will be ok for this season's demands, but going forward I'd like us to sign a really decent left back, Hendrie standard, and a quick ball playing centre half alongside Pollock. That's projecting ahead though, plenty more to fix in the meantime even though I do like the look of Taylor (more confidence to gamble with his passing), Rose, Williams (more gametime improved sharpness), Edwards, Tilley, Gibson (looks like a goalscorer in the making, gets himself into decent goalscoring positions) and Windsor. Get them all (or most) on the pitch at the same time, fully fit and with a bit more confidence and we haven't got a bad side at all really..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 14, 2020, 2:08pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Does it matter?

The ball is simply not getting forward with enough quality and speed either in passing or running. And when the ball does find its way to area there are not enough shots on target. That is down to the manager and players not the formation. Buckley Mk1 and 2  for example played a rigid 4-3-3 for a long time  but it didn't matter as long as a player like Cockerill was going to burst through the middle and a player with the left foot of Dave Gilbert was going to set up chances with his head up before he received the ball.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
KingstonMariner
November 14, 2020, 3:28pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Agree with Ron. There were flashes of the he ball going forward quickly with some long, accurate passes against Dagenham. But not enough.

And re the comments about a strong back four: Preston might be OK defensively, but he frequently is the cause of the breakdown going forward on his side of the pitch as he easily gets pressured into passing it back. It’s almost like it’s part of the doctrine. Thinks it’s the safe option to keep the ball but it just bats the responsibility back to the next bloke who’s more likely in the danger area.  Know I keep banging on about it, but it’s an unnecessary self-inflicted wound.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
toontown
November 15, 2020, 12:04am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Does it matter?

The ball is simply not getting forward with enough quality and speed either in passing or running. And when the ball does find its way to area there are not enough shots on target. That is down to the manager and players not the formation. Buckley Mk1 and 2  for example played a rigid 4-3-3 for a long time  but it didn't matter as long as a player like Cockerill was going to burst through the middle and a player with the left foot of Dave Gilbert was going to set up chances with his head up before he received the ball.

Buckley mk1 didn't play a rigid 4-3-3
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 3-4-3

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.