Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Forgive Them Ollie For They Know What They Do
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 264 Guests

Forgive Them Ollie For They Know What They Do

This thread currently has 3,977 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
November 7, 2020, 9:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Dear Ollie it's always the same on here when we expect a big win and we lose.

A word of advice although I think you know far much more than me,

Don't tell the players to play from the back as they are not very good at it at the moment if Macca kicks the ball up to the half way line there is little chance of the opposition scoring.

Get the strikers doing nothing else but scoring goals in training even if you have to tell the keepers to let them in.

That might give them a bit of confidence.

You are a great manager but never managed at this low level before so don't expect the players to car r y out your instructions.

In  time you will be able to sign better players who can car r y out your instructions.

Until then except their limitations and play it simple even though that might mean a good hoof up the field.

I am sure you will get us to where you want us but it will take time and I for one understand that.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
denni266
November 7, 2020, 10:15pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Tbh Pete  you probably know more than ollie about the game down here.. Ollie comes from a land where they have a network of scouts  and  trainers etc   that look at players and make recomedations to there manager.. He like most up there above us dont have or learn how to turn someone  in to a player they just get the checkbook out and buy what they need . There are specilised backroom staff that do that work with players and as far as i know Ollie has never done that.. Sure i will be put right on that if am wrong .. Down here Ollie is trying to do everything himself and it wont work . He has got players to young and not good enough for lg 2  and thinks he can just change them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
TAGG
November 7, 2020, 10:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from grimsby pete

Don't tell the players to play from the back as they are not very good at it at the moment if Macca kicks the ball up to the half way line there is little chance of the opposition scoring.

Get the strikers doing nothing else but scoring goals in training even if you have to tell the keepers to let them in.

You are a great manager but never managed at this low level before so don't expect the players to car r y out your instructions.

In  time you will be able to sign better players who can car r y out your instructions.

Until then except their limitations and play it simple even though that might mean a good hoof up the field.

I am sure you will get us to where you want us but it will take time and I for one understand that.

Oh dear

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
Rick12
November 7, 2020, 11:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from grimsby pete

Some nice thoughts there Pete. I like the overall sentiment

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
louth_in_the_south
November 7, 2020, 11:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,705
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from grimsby pete

Jeez get a grip

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
grimsby pete
November 8, 2020, 12:11am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
It's good job Trump is not a town fan.

He would be taken the F A ..to court saying we did not lose .

We won because we had more possession .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
KingstonMariner
November 8, 2020, 1:28am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from grimsby pete
It's good job Trump is not a town fan.

He would be taken the F A ..to court saying we did not lose .

We won because we had more possession .

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
Vance Warner
November 8, 2020, 8:34am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,821
Gold Stars: 105
Just out of interest when were town fans last happy with the style of play?

Jolley- too reserved and worried about the opposition
Slade- hoof ball
Bignot - too open
Hurst - see Jolley
Buckley - too predictable

I’ve actually really enjoyed watching us at times this season. When everyone’s fit we have more pace and purpose than we’ve had for a long time. We’re setting up to try and win every game and I like the way Macca sprints with the ball to launch it forward and get us on the front foot. There will be mistakes along the way but you’re a pretty weak manager if you change a system two months into a season because of individual errors and some impatient fans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
Rick12
November 8, 2020, 8:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Vance Warner

Slade- hoof ball
Bignot - too open
Hurst - see Jolley

I’ve actually really enjoyed watching us at times this season. When everyone’s fit we have more pace and purpose than we’ve had for a long time. We’re setting up to try and win every game and I like the way Macca sprints with the ball to launch it forward and get us on the front foot. There will be mistakes along the way but you’re a pretty weak manager if you change a system two months into a season because of individual errors and some impatient fans
Yes.

I remember watching Blackpool on Match of the Day when they were in the premiership and  Ian Holloway was manager and there was plaudits given to him for his swashbuckling style of play given minimum resources.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
Croxton
November 8, 2020, 9:27am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Vance Warner

Slade- hoof ball
Bignot - too open
Hurst - see Jolley

Rose tinted specs Vance. (pun intended) Olly himself regretted taking Rose off. Doing so exposed Morton who was having a poor game. We had clawed our way back into the game but Olly starts thinking of the next league match? If he wanted to protect Rose then he should have plugged that hole by switching experience and composure into the centre. Poor game management. How Macca will wish he had lumped the ball towards the fresh legs of Gibson and Scannell. Those two subs hinted at a change of tactics but Macca failed to heed the memo.
Olly doesn't have to totally change his style of play but he should ask his goalie and back four to think for themselves at key moments.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Forgive Them Ollie For They Know What They Do

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.