8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Boris Johnson
November 5, 2020, 12:32am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Remember the homecoming, young lad of 7 years of age.

What a player, absolute diamond in that 71-72 side, like many my first hero growing up

Condolences to the family

RIP Super Matt
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 71
TAGG
November 5, 2020, 12:51am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,939
Gold Stars: 126
RIP Sir Matt
True Town legend  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 71
arryarryarry
November 5, 2020, 4:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 117
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 71
Trickytrev
November 5, 2020, 6:35am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +117

RIP Sir Matt

True Town legend  who I had the pleasure of seeing grace BP.

Gone bit not forgotten.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 71
wuffing
November 5, 2020, 7:25am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.40
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +841
Gold Stars: 38
Well that has brought tears to my eyes. A massive link with my Dad, who started taking my young self in 1972 on the Harrington Street open corner. I can still hear the chant coming from the Pontoon near Christmas time, using the Noel hymn: Matt Tees Matt Tees Matt Tees Matt Tees...born is the king of Blundell Park.

Condolences to the family

RIP Matt, say hello to Harry Barker for me.

'I walked in the dressing room. The window was open and I thought that a sea fret had got in. Then I saw smoke billowing from a pipe in the corner of the room...it was my centre-forward. He looked seven stone wet through. He went on to score thirty-odd goals that season.' Lawrie McMenemy on encountering the legend that was Matt Tees.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 71
Les Brechin
November 5, 2020, 7:44am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Teesknees

Think I've got that photo somewhere, he was literally head and shoulders above anyone else. Reading Charlton and Luton's forums, their opinion mirrors ours, in saying how he could hang in the air and his courage to put his head down amongst the boots to get to the ball!

Isn't this Sir Matt in the white playing for Luton?

[img]https://www.lutontown.co.uk/siteassets/image/news-images-2017-18/matt-tees-action.jpg/Large[/img]

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 71
GrimExile
November 5, 2020, 7:54am
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
I only met Matt once and that was at a function at BP to raise funds for the youth set up. The guest of honour was Lawrie McMenemy but nearly all of the 71/72 side that got promotion that season were also there. I said to Matt that he’d been my childhood hero, so much so that when internet banking first came in, my account password was none other than matttees. A quick as a flash he said, “So what’s your account number and sort code!!” My password to iFollow to this very day is matttees. From what I saw of him that night he was a true gentleman and a credit to himself, his family and GTFC. RIP Matt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 71
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 5, 2020, 10:22am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Reading all these other tributes it makes me even sadder to think that there can be no proper way for all those who would love to pay respects in person at a funeral service to do so, given the current restrictions.

Perhaps some bright spark can come up with a way to do that either after 2nd Dec or by some other means for someone who so clearly meant so much to so many supporters.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 71
IlkleyMariner
November 5, 2020, 10:53am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
I saw Matt when he was signed from Airdrie, very raw and I doubt if anyone thought then he would become the hero that he did. I think it was Jimmy McGuigan’s pairing of Matt with Rod Green that set him off. It was a great team from Charlie Wright, Matt’s brother-in-law, in goal to Brian Hill on the left wing. We came within a whisker of beating West Ham, Bobby Moore and all, and we would have deserved it. Every one of my folders at uni had “Matt Tees For King” inscribed.

Suddenly they all went, Wright, Tees and Green to Charlton for bu99er all.

Then Matt came back. Have we all read McMenemy’s description of the skinny old bloke in the dressing room? Then we took the league by storm and Matt was at the front. He was at the front of many of our minds over the last few years too. Sadly missed Matt. Thanks for the memories.

Was fortunate to be at his debut game. A pre season friendly v Leicester. Scored after just 7 seconds and became an instant favourite over the years. Great footballer. Great man. RIP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 71
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 5, 2020, 11:51am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Was fortunate to be at his debut game. A pre season friendly v Leicester. Scored after just 7 seconds and became an instant favourite over the years. Great footballer. Great man. RIP

Yes it was a great start but in his first league season Matt only played 21 games and scored 5 goals, in his second it was 26 games and 9 goals. Then in summer 1965 we signed Rod Green to replace George McLean and Matt took off, 28 goals in 43 games. A golden era.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sir Matt Tees R.I.P.  "Merged"

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.