2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Limerick Mariner
November 2, 2020, 1:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,727
Gold Stars: 137
Mostly about rugby but be interesting to check out squad turnover and current league positions in Leagues 1 and 2. Cambridge are the surprise frontrunner and Newport were only one place above us last season - be interesting to check their squad turnover in the Lockdown period. I had it all in the Racing Post pre-season guide but I've chucked it. [url]https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2020/oct/19/ben-darwins-theory-of-sport-evolution-familiarity-breeds-success[/url] The music industry stat is extraordinary...
Logged Online
Private Message
psgmariner
November 2, 2020, 2:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Interesting read and some useful pointers as to why we have been junk for so long. I never took to Paul Hurst and wasn't bothered when he left but he did create some stability (by staying longer than most and keeping a few players for several seasons). After Hurst it's been chop and change every season.

Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
Limerick Mariner
November 2, 2020, 2:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner
Interesting read and some useful pointers as to why we have been junk for so long. I never took to Paul Hurst and wasn't bothered when he left but he did create some stability (by staying longer than most and keeping a few players for several seasons). After Hurst it's been chop and change every season.
. If Ollie's strategy was to try and create that stability COVID has fecked that. I think he is hoping that a couple of the "bet to (virtually) nothing" signings from lower leagues come off and add to our pool of players for the nucleus of the squad for next season. The other stat that caught my eye was success being 40% correlated with cohesion and 2% coaching...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
mimma
November 2, 2020, 3:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
it's no coincidence that the teams at the top are the ones that have kept their team together with few changes,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
KingstonMariner
November 2, 2020, 3:52pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Very interesting. You could add plenty of other examples like the Liverpool Boot Room in the 70s and 80s, the Class of 92 at United.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
Limerick Mariner
November 2, 2020, 4:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Very interesting. You could add plenty of other examples like the Liverpool Boot Room in the 70s and 80s, the Class of 92 at United.

GTFC - Tom Casey's class of 76 - a good core of that relegated team stayed together for 5 / 6 years...

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
moosey_club
November 2, 2020, 9:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from psgmariner

But even he ravaged his own squad when we got promoted, that was one of the bigger fck ups in our recent history. The core of that promotion squad would have seen us more than ok in our first season back.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
aldi_01
November 2, 2020, 10:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
In truth, whilst it was sold to us as players/Hurst dismantling that squad, knowing what we know about the club I’d imagine the contracts offered weren’t great and players and hurst have said as much.

Like him or loathe him the last time we had a team that was connected with each other and relatable to the fans was PHs teams. Particularly the last three seasons in non league. Since then we’ve reverted to type and quite frankly nobody would arsed if any stayed or went.

Holloway may have been wanting to create something similar but I guess we’ll never really know now...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
toontown
November 2, 2020, 11:12pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
That's a really interesting article but I remember we reading an analysis of football stats which said that finance was the most important. Maybe those teams that can afford to keep their players longest, so stay together longer, are just richer.. it also said managers were important but not that important compared to resources, more than the 2% stated their tho, more like 10% I seem to remember.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
Rick12
November 3, 2020, 9:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from toontown
That's a really interesting article but I remember we reading an analysis of football stats which said that finance was the most important. Maybe those teams that can afford to keep their players longest, so stay together longer, are just richer.. it also said managers were important but not that important compared to resources, more than the 2% stated their tho, more like 10% I seem to remember.
Agree.

Whilst I think the article in the opening post is good like you have said the problem is at our level there is always the  threat of players/managers  moving on to want to better themselves both financially and career wise. At the top level of football I think stability is more likely to happen . Look at Son Heung -Min at Tottenham as a recent example  who looks set to sign a new 5 year deal worth £200,000 a week.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Familiarity breeds success

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.