Logged Online
Private Message
LH
October 24, 2020, 9:20pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,567
Gold Stars: 174
I’ve seen this has upset a few fans but this is the best way to deal with it IMO. excrement happens, although it seems to be more regular for it to happen for us than a lot of other clubs.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
TheRealJohnLewis
October 24, 2020, 9:30pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
That own goal was funny as intercourse, they should laugh about it.  Learn and move on.

It's only a game, no one has died.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
moosey_club
October 24, 2020, 9:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
To be fair.....after the shock of it I thought......if only Gibson could finish like that

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
Rodley Mariner
October 24, 2020, 9:59pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Gold Stars: 178
Just seen Williams joking about crap set pieces as well and agree it's a good thing. Perspective is a good thing at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
thefish
October 24, 2020, 10:03pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
That own goal was funny as intercourse, they should laugh about it.  Learn and move on.

It's only a game, no one has died.

Exactly! He hasn’t done it due to a lack of effort, he hasn’t done it due to a bad attitude, he’s simply made a mistake that any human could make! I can think of plenty of clangers that I’ve performed in life...

I’m just glad that he’s a strong enough character to laugh about it.

Just look at the reason several kind mariners are currently raising money at the moment. That’s what can happen when we don’t aim to pick each other up when we see that they are down. We are humans- sometimes we need lifting up.

Stay strong Macca- by the kick off on Tuesday, it will be all but forgotten about!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
Poojah
October 24, 2020, 10:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from LH
I’ve seen this has upset a few fans but this is the best way to deal with it IMO. excrement happens, although it seems to be more regular for it to happen for us than a lot of other clubs.

100%. Macca has been the club’s longest serving player since the original Macca. He’s the longest serving goalkeeper we’ve had since Nigel Batch (I think - before my time) and he’s played more games.

It’s easy to remember mistakes because they tend to be terminal for a ‘keeper, and it’s easy to forget the saves he’s made (like the one at Cheltenham 11 days ago) because that’s his job.

This afternoon’s mistake was horrendous, there’s no sugarcoating it. But he’s given so much to this club in his near 500 games and you have to accept that mistakes will happen at this level.

A bad week at the office, no doubt, but he remains a hero rather than a villain for me.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
Kris2
October 24, 2020, 10:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,632
Gold Stars: 136
As much as some fans want players to think in the same way they do, they are only humans doing a job for the club. Sometimes excrement happens and you have to take the urine and laugh about it later. No point in dwelling on every mistake you ever make in life, that'll just make you miserable. At some point I'm sure there will be discussions about what could be done better in decision making, set pieces and so on but what's done is done. Might as well have a laugh about it.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
RichMariner
October 24, 2020, 10:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,160
Gold Stars: 211
I feel for keepers in general because they can make outstanding saves in matches - game-changing saves - and they're not recorded or remembered in the same way that goals are.

That's par for the course and I'm sure all keepers know this before they embark on their careers.

A few weeks ago some fans questioned McKeown's ability to save penalties. Again, these aren't recorded or remembered that well (unless they're last-minute penalty saves, or in big cup matches) but I'm pretty sure he's saved plenty for us down the years.

When something like today happens to any keeper, I'd like to think that it won't even be mentioned in the dressing room because no one needs to be told how bad that was. If anything, I'd do whatever I could to boost his confidence, not knock it.

Because this is his tenth season with the club and we all know what a top keeper he can be.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
Mayaman
October 25, 2020, 6:02am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
I'm not sure why Waterfall passed back there.  I know we want to see the team play football and they were trying to play through defence butt it clearly wasn't working.  I think Luke should have belted it down the line.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
grimps
October 25, 2020, 6:23am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
We was discussing this in here two weeks ago about passing it across the goal and Macca playing it out from the back while under pressure .
We saw this coming
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
lew chaterleys lover
October 25, 2020, 8:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from grimps
We was discussing this in here two weeks ago about passing it across the goal and Macca playing it out from the back while under pressure .
We saw this coming

He wasn't under much pressure though was he? A straightforward back pass to allow him to switch play to the other side. I know he is a league 2 keeper, I agree he should try to put it behind him and often humour does help, but it is not acceptable for a keeper to kick the ball into his own net like that is it?

He can be a great shot-stopper, but it is not enough in this day and age. Someone earlier suggested Waterfall should have "belted it down the line." Those days are long gone; the keeper has become an integral part of playing out from the back but Macca just hasn't got the skills to do it. I am sure Ollie is pondering on a temporary change in tactics to make sure it doesn't happen again but I am surprised he hasn't taken another keeper on loan.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
October 25, 2020, 9:25am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120
the keeper has become an integral part of playing out from the back but Macca just hasn't got the skills to do it.

He is what I would class as a shotstopper rather than as a sweeper keeper which seems to be the way younger and up and coming keepers are being trained to do.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
Rodley Mariner
October 25, 2020, 10:21am
Special Brew Drinker
I am not sure he is good enough with his feet for how Olly wants to play but people have to be realistic that great shot stoppers who command their box and are good with their feet aren't queueing up to join League 2 clubs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 25, 2020, 11:07am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I am not sure he is good enough with his feet for how Olly wants to play but people have to be realistic that great shot stoppers who command their box and are good with their feet aren't queueing up to join League 2 clubs.

This is very true.Therefore make the most of what we have.  I think a manager of Ollie’s experience should show some nous now and tell Macca to play to his strengths and forget this playing out from the back with feet.

OK to have a laugh about this happening in an empty BP in October, nobody would be laughing if it was a play-off final in May with a full house (hopefully!) . Not the first time is it? So a serious matter that needs sorting now not later.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
Rodley Mariner
October 25, 2020, 11:44am
Special Brew Drinker
I think it's a case of finding a balance. I'm sure most League 2 defences love lots of long clearances from the keeper and typically the defensive team will have a lot more players around that area to pick up second balls. I like that we're trying to retain the ball and play a bit. At times it's not on and they need to be pragmatic but ultimately it was just an individual error yesterday and I don't think particularly down to us trying to play out. He had loads of time to take a touch and move it and just copulated it up. We let in that goal against Forest Green on the first day of the season under Jolley - we weren't trying to play out then it was just a intercourse up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
headingly_mariner
October 25, 2020, 12:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,393
Quoted from Poojah

100%. Macca has been the club’s longest serving player since the original Macca. He’s the longest serving goalkeeper we’ve had since Nigel Batch (I think - before my time) and he’s played more games.

It’s easy to remember mistakes because they tend to be terminal for a ‘keeper, and it’s easy to forget the saves he’s made (like the one at Cheltenham 11 days ago) because that’s his job.

This afternoon’s mistake was horrendous, there’s no sugarcoating it. But he’s given so much to this club in his near 500 games and you have to accept that mistakes will happen at this level.

A bad week at the office, no doubt, but he remains a hero rather than a villain for me.

Absolutely, he’s dug us out of the excrement more times than he’s dropped us in it.
He’s a 4th division keeper so we are going to see mistakes.
There’s absolutely no need for the knicker wetting on here and elsewhere.
excrement like dropping him and stripping him of the captaincy 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 25, 2020, 12:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I think it's a case of finding a balance. I'm sure most League 2 defences love lots of long clearances from the keeper and typically the defensive team will have a lot more players around that area to pick up second balls. I like that we're trying to retain the ball and play a bit. At times it's not on and they need to be pragmatic but ultimately it was just an individual error yesterday and I don't think particularly down to us trying to play out. He had loads of time to take a touch and move it and just copulated it up. We let in that goal against Forest Green on the first day of the season under Jolley - we weren't trying to play out then it was just a intercourse up.

Ah but the lad is simply not capable of controlling a football with his feet is he? There was really no pressure yesterday just a lack of ability and control so  in his case there is no sense in Macca thinking of mixing it up. Just do the simple and obvious. Get rid.

I agree it is nice to see us play out, it may also be true that a long belt downfield will surrender possession when there is no Hanson. But the indisputable fact is that picking up the ball and wellying it downfield yesterday was a lot less likely to have cost the side a goal and two points.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
October 25, 2020, 12:35pm
Guest User
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Absolutely, he’s dug us out of the excrement more times than he’s dropped us in it.
He’s a 4th division keeper so we are going to see mistakes.
There’s absolutely no need for the knicker wetting on here and elsewhere.
excrement like dropping him and stripping him of the captaincy 😂

Likewise the 'hero' worship in reply to his post on twitter.  The fan bois should know that who they are saying is the best keeper in League 2 should check this link, https://fbref.com/en/comps/16/keepers/League-Two-Stats, he is 17th in League 2, not No 1.  As for the captaincy, he should be relieved of it, it is obviously affecting his concentration and an outfield player should be made Captain with immediate effect.

Reply: 18 - 30
Henryscat
October 25, 2020, 12:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Not because of yesterday but I’m not a fan of keepers being captain anyway.

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
mimma
October 25, 2020, 1:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
The Chelsea keeper did exactly the same thing as Macca did, tried to roll across his goal to a defender, caught it wrong and it ended up going backwards towards an empty goal. The only difference being that he managed to just miss the goal and it went behind for a corner.
Macca has been a goalkeeper all his career and has never had to play the ball like an outfield player, so he's not that good at it and will need a lot of coaching. The same sort of thing happened when keepers could no longer pick up a back passes, there were a lot of miss kicks. You hardly see it now (apart from Saturday).

Beckham once said that at Real Madrid before they went out they would play keeper uppie in the tunnel.  He said that the keeper was better at it than he was!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
moosey_club
October 25, 2020, 2:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mayaman
I'm not sure why Waterfall passed back there.  I know we want to see the team play football and they were trying to play through defence butt it clearly wasn't working.  I think Luke should have belted it down the line.  

There was little option from midfield for the throw to go forward, virtually the same throughout the game wherever we had a throw, the taker had very limited options. We seem to be well drilled on playing from the back and the long diagonal switch of play but throw ins, free kicks and set pieces in general we look clueless.  Having said that the corner for the goal yesterday did look as though it had been worked as it was tried a couple of times during the game.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
pen penfras
October 25, 2020, 4:44pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from 123614

Likewise the 'hero' worship in reply to his post on twitter.  The fan bois should know that who they are saying is the best keeper in League 2 should check this link, https://fbref.com/en/comps/16/keepers/League-Two-Stats, he is 17th in League 2, not No 1.  As for the captaincy, he should be relieved of it, it is obviously affecting his concentration and an outfield player should be made Captain with immediate effect.

Of course he's not the best keeper in the league. It's a combination of the usual bi-polar nature of this forum after he's had a good game and the fact that most people on here only watch Grimsby Town and only notice what our players do. The reality is that every now and then he has a wobble that costs us goals in one form or another, then he has games where he makes fantastic saves that keep us in games. He's ok for this level and nothing else. That's why nobody has ever seriously tried to take him from a higher level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
toontown
October 25, 2020, 4:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from pen penfras

Of course he's not the best keeper in the league. It's a combination of the usual bi-polar nature of this forum after he's had a good game and the fact that most people on here only watch Grimsby Town and only notice what our players do. The reality is that every now and then he has a wobble that costs us goals in one form or another, then he has games where he makes fantastic saves that keep us in games. He's ok for this level and nothing else. That's why nobody has ever seriously tried to take him from a higher level.

Scottish prem club made a serious offer didn't they 2 years ago I think (or 1)  before he signed his current contract - whether you think that's a higher level tho is very debatable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
toontown
October 25, 2020, 4:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Oh and didn't Hurst offer us a measly 10k near deadline day when bogle was here and deano and wouldn't increase the offer? So nothing came of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
pen penfras
October 25, 2020, 5:15pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from toontown
Oh and didn't Hurst offer us a measly 10k near deadline day when bogle was here and deano and wouldn't increase the offer? So nothing came of it.

That's the only half hearted attempt I can think of. I don't consider SPL a higher standard since they consistently sign national league players
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
Teestogreen
October 25, 2020, 7:31pm

Champagne Drinker
Approval: -160
My view - McKeown has proved that he is not reliable for playing football as an eleventh player.
So, either the management accept that and include a goalkeeper who can play out, or just play McKeown and instruct him to boot the ball up the pitch every time.
This all depends upon what Mc Keown is being told what to do and his l
limitations in being able to do it.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
Teestogreen
October 25, 2020, 8:20pm

Champagne Drinker
Approval: -160
And when you remember how fantastic Henderson was at Carlisle not long ago
Hope he plays  for England and Manchester United on a regular basis

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
October 25, 2020, 8:47pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Approval: +886
After Ollie's comments after the Carlisle game

“I made another load of changes, and it’s difficult to have any sort of rhythm and believe in yourself in a slightly different shape, so I might have to go back to what we know and what we’ve done previously."

Maybe within that statement, especially the last part, he is talking about maybe not playing out from the back anymore.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
moosey_club
October 25, 2020, 9:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Rarely do I watch the whole of the Quest highlights programme but last night I watched the majority.....and throughout the divisions there were plenty of goals scored where teams failed in trying to play out from the back.
I am sure in this day and age there must be enough stats to be able prove/disprove the worth/risk but to me it doesnt seem worth it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
KingstonMariner
October 26, 2020, 1:10am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from pen penfras

That's the only half hearted attempt I can think of. I don't consider SPL a higher standard since they consistently sign national league players

Exactly. Craig Clay springs to mind.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Nowt like extracting the urine

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.