Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Premier League Shake-Up Proposal (Merged)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 204 Guests

New Premier League Shake-Up Proposal (Merged)

This thread currently has 13,105 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Swansea_Mariner
October 11, 2020, 9:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
I'd agree with all those points Rob, especially the cup structure you mention.

I do think its inevitable that the top six, maybe 8 will break away eventually, will we really miss the them? I presume they would still enter the FA cup so we could still get the chance to play then once every decade, so no different to now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 93
blundellpork
October 11, 2020, 9:49pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,665
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
I'd agree with all those points Rob, especially the cup structure you mention.

I do think its inevitable that the top six, maybe 8 will break away eventually, will we really miss the them? I presume they would still enter the FA cup so we could still get the chance to play then once every decade, so no different to now.

If they break away then it should be a clean break. They either want to be in our system or not, no choosing the competitions they want to be part of. Kick the top six out into their super league, replace upwards from non league and get back to Divs 1-4.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 93
Gaffer58
October 11, 2020, 9:56pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Not reading all the way through the proposals but are the premiership going to be doling out millions to all the EFL clubs for ever, once they’ve got the EFL in their pockets then start seeing how all the money starts to disappear. On the note of B teams, do we want to be known as Leeds B or whoever might take us over, where even if we are successful we cannot go above a certain level, just imagine in the championship if the top 10 sides are all B teams,who cannot be promoted, so the team in 11th spot goes up, then what happens if the main team have 2/3 years of failure, if they get relegated to say the 1st division ( as per Sunderland) then their B team must also be relegated, to always be below them in the league structure, even though that season they may have won their respective league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 93
October 12, 2020, 4:46am
Guest User
The only thing that seems to be missing is a rebranding to Premier Franchise.

This is where I am with this, I don’t recognise the premier league as English football, it’s little more than a bunch of foreign managers buying foreign players using money from a combination of foreign speculators and sky subscriptions.  Apparently the influx of all the foreign players was going to drastically improve the standard of English players.....yes I think we can all see the evidence of that...  

In short, I haven’t watched a premier league game for around 7 or 8 years, it’s so meaningless that I just can’t be bothered.  FA cup final day used to be one of the great annual occasions in my life, not any more.  I decided a long time ago that premier league was for people who don’t actually go to watch live football, a sky subscription replaced that, and of course for those who have ‘second teams’.

Reply: 33 - 93
grimps
October 12, 2020, 7:39am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from 139914
The only thing that seems to be missing is a rebranding to Premier Franchise.

This is where I am with this, I don’t recognise the premier league as English football, it’s little more than a bunch of foreign managers buying foreign players using money from a combination of foreign speculators and sky subscriptions.  Apparently the influx of all the foreign players was going to drastically improve the standard of English players.....yes I think we can all see the evidence of that...  

In short, I haven’t watched a premier league game for around 7 or 8 years, it’s so meaningless that I just can’t be bothered.  FA cup final day used to be one of the great annual occasions in my life, not any more.  I decided a long time ago that premier league was for people who don’t actually go to watch live football, a sky subscription replaced that, and of course for those who have ‘second teams’.

The only way the FA cup will ever capture some of its former glory is if they gave a Champs league spot for winning it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 93
pen penfras
October 12, 2020, 7:56am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -130
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from grimps

The only way the FA cup will ever capture some of its former glory is if they gave a Champs league spot for winning it

In the last 30 years, only 2 teams outside the big 6 have won the FA cup. I don't think it'd make much difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 93
IlkleyMariner
October 12, 2020, 8:21am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
Think the whole thing is up for challenge and amendment.
No 1 hurdle is to get it through the Premier League structure. Newcastle and Aston Villa have more right to be in it than Man C.
After that skirmish, what do the government want?
Finally wearing a GTFC hat, lets go for it. Do we really care about the out of reach upper echelons.
If Liverpool get lots of money from worldwide audiences do we really care so long as our own club is well funded and has a league to play in?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 93
ska face
October 12, 2020, 9:58am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Like gaffer58 has said, this will just be the first step of an ever-tightening stranglehold controlled by 6 groups of billionaires with zero interest in the good of the game.

Why would they just hand out £350m now, if they didn’t think they’d recoup it all and more in the coming years? These people didn’t get rich by handing money out for nothing. They’ve already threatened clubs to force the EPPP through which has allowed them to hoover up local talent and warehouse any promising players. Then they threatened teams in order to get their b-teams in the EFL Trophy. Do you think they’ll just hand the lower leagues £250m and be on their merry way? Beyond naive.

There’s a reason this has all been cooked up behind closed doors with absolutely no consultation with league members or other prem clubs. Parry should be out on his bottom this morning.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 93
pen penfras
October 12, 2020, 10:42am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -130
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from ska face
Like gaffer58 has said, this will just be the first step of an ever-tightening stranglehold controlled by 6 groups of billionaires with zero interest in the good of the game.

Why would they just hand out £350m now, if they didn’t think they’d recoup it all and more in the coming years? These people didn’t get rich by handing money out for nothing. They’ve already threatened clubs to force the EPPP through which has allowed them to hoover up local talent and warehouse any promising players. Then they threatened teams in order to get their b-teams in the EFL Trophy. Do you think they’ll just hand the lower leagues £250m and be on their merry way? Beyond naive.

There’s a reason this has all been cooked up behind closed doors with absolutely no consultation with league members or other prem clubs. Parry should be out on his bottom this morning.

They had nothing to do with B teams in the EFL trophy. That was entirely the EFL's doing, and they never even asked them before putting it up to vote at the AGM. That resulted in a rather embarrassing situation where a lot of the big clubs didn't even want to take part.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 93
Humbercod
October 12, 2020, 11:19am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,487
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from pen penfras

In the last 30 years, only 2 teams outside the big 6 have won the FA cup. I don't think it'd make much difference.

It doesn’t matter if it was 100 years there’s still that chance. I think this would be a great idea the majority of fans elwould support but sadly will never happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 93
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Premier League Shake-Up Proposal (Merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.