Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Did town ‘take the knee’?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 14 Guests

Did town ‘take the knee’?

This thread currently has 15,915 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerMal
September 8, 2020, 12:24pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +783
Gold Stars: 17
I support the base premise of BLM. We should resist racism and any form prejudice, although, we all are prejudice by our very nature. We should not accept people being judged on the colour of their skin, their religion, their gender, secual preference or the any way they wish to live. Provided they are doing no harm or provoking any hate to any peaceful group in society.

I think BLM has started to grow beyond what it's initial intent was and quite a lot of that makes me feel uncomfortable.

I keep reading/hearing things like there should be X number of black premier league managers or X number of black board members on certain companies boards etc.

I do not agree with this as I think this is going against the very thing BLM initially stood for. They are after an equality of outcome which cannot work and may even be dangerous. If you say there should be say at least 10 black premier league managers, that will mean you will be appointing people primarily based on the colour of their skin into those 10 jobs. That is the very definition of racism and obviously, totally against the aims of BLM.

What we should be striving for is equality of opportunity. That is everyone gets an equal opportunity to be what they want to be, not everyone will succeed but the opportunity to do so should be there.

It's difficult. I consider myself to be someone who is against racism, homophobia, sexism or any type of prejudice like this but I know by daring to criticise what the BLM is becoming will make me appear racist in some people eyes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 132
Ipswin
September 8, 2020, 12:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from ska face

Exhibit A, your honour.

Just absolutely, mind-bendingly triggered because someone dare let others make a silent, 10 second protest once a week. The land of free speech indeed.

I think its been done to death but if Lewis Hamilton wants to kneel in a patch of oil on the grid every two weeks thats up to him. What I do object to is the clenched fist 'Black Power' salute many employ.

A step too far in my eyes

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 132
ska face
September 8, 2020, 12:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,747
Gold Stars: 851
Why? Don’t tell us you object to what it “symbolises”, as that is almost entirely subjective.
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 132
cardiffmariner
September 8, 2020, 1:13pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,320
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from cardiffmariner

Why not?

Lots of red crosses but no answer. I suspect it’ll be assumed I’m a lefty liberal bleeding heart blah blah blah, but I’m genuinely interested as to why you think none of our players should take a knee. Their choice, their freedom of expression. Maybe you could have a chat with some of our black players about it and see what they think?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 132
September 8, 2020, 2:42pm
Guest User
Quoted from pizzzza

I guess you have calculated this using absolutes right? Either that or you have taken your info from one of those dubious Facebook memes. Given that African-Americans make up only 14% of the US population you might consider calculating a relative amount to make your point (which I suspect is not valid).

Everyone knows how statistics can be bent anyway people want them to be, but it is a fact that more white people have been killed by Police than Black people.

Reply: 34 - 132
forza ivano
September 8, 2020, 3:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,264
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from 123614

Everyone knows how statistics can be bent anyway people want them to be, but it is a fact that more white people have been killed by Police than Black people.

Are you being deliberately thick, or does it just come naturally to you?
172 white Americans killed by u.s. police in 2020 as opposed to 88 blacks, however the white population  represents 60% of the american population whilst blacks make up less than 15 per cent.
So if there was no issue youd expect to see c.43 blacks killed, but no, its double that number, which suggests they might have something of an issue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 132
September 8, 2020, 4:02pm
Guest User

Very rude!  Mess with stats all you like, still more dead white people than black.

Reply: 36 - 132
pontoonlew
September 8, 2020, 4:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,079
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from forza ivano

172 white Americans killed by u.s. police in 2020 as opposed to 88 blacks, however the white population  represents 60% of the american population whilst blacks make up less than 15 per cent.
So if there was no issue youd expect to see c.43 blacks killed, but no, its double that number, which suggests they might have something of an issue.

However when you then compare that to the numbers that come into contact with the police the stats show you’re more likely to be killed if you’re white. However it’s a long, complicated subject that a ‘stat’ either way will not tell the whole story.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 132
ginnywings
September 8, 2020, 4:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from pontoonlew

However when you then compare that to the numbers that come into contact with the police the stats show you’re more likely to be killed if you’re white. However it’s a long, complicated subject that a ‘stat’ either way will not tell the whole story.

Therefore confirming that racism is rife, as you are much more likely to be stopped if you are black than if you are white.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 132
pontoonlew
September 8, 2020, 4:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,079
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from ginnywings

Therefore confirming that racism is rife, as you are much more likely to be stopped if you are black than if you are white.

Which is kind of the point I’m making, these things can go back and forth forever with different stats showing different things.

As somebody posted, you can be anti racism whilst still thinking the BLM movement are actually having a negative impact, not a positive one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 132
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Did town ‘take the knee’?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.