Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Squad coming together nicely..... whats missing
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 214 Guests

Squad coming together nicely..... whats missing

This thread currently has 4,938 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Stew0_0
August 13, 2020, 8:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
Four excellent signings so far and all at good ages.
3 hungry players under 24 with a real leader at the back at 33.

If what Holloway said is correct and rumour of his name is true, then  it looks like Touray Sisay is set to sign soon and that could well end our search for attacking players.

But whats left to come. An experienced rock in midfield?, a quality left back?

What do we feel is still needed and how many more signings are we short?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Northbank Mariner
August 13, 2020, 8:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
Think we need to replace Glennon if we don't him back on loan, plus maybe a decent, experienced holding midfielder. That would just about do me for now, but on a side note, anyone figured out where Greens gonna fit in this season??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
August 13, 2020, 8:42pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.78
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +886
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
but on a side note, anyone figured out where Greens gonna fit in this season??

I hear he is looking for a sponsor for his seat in the dugout.

In Ollie's last interview he said 4 deals had been signed......and we have now got 4 new players.

But no sign of Sisay
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
Rodley Mariner
August 13, 2020, 8:51pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Gold Stars: 178
Feels like a main man for the centre of midfield is the biggest requirement for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
MuddyWaters
August 13, 2020, 8:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Experience in centre mid plus Glennon and Benson and we’re nearly there. That said Ollie reckoned he had room for ten and I can’t think that some of the new lads will be on big bucks.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
Stew0_0
August 13, 2020, 8:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,188
Gold Stars: 35
Seems like we are looking to setup with a 4-3-3 or a 4-1-2-3 formation as see us with Gibson and Jackson Jnr as wide forwards so maybe a tough holding midfielder with 2 others in there with Williams/Tilley and another new face? Perhaps Clifton and Wright having an impact from the bench.
Left back is a must though still and would love it to be Glennon back.
Shaping up to be an exciting season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
pontoonlew
August 14, 2020, 6:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Think we need to replace Glennon if we don't him back on loan, plus maybe a decent, experienced holding midfielder. That would just about do me for now, but on a side note, anyone figured out where Greens gonna fit in this season??

We’re going to need more than 2 more players. We need a LB, a couple of CM’s, a ‘utility’ type and probably another wide option.

I’d imagine we’ll get 3 loanees in at least to cut costs as well as maybe a couple more perms.

It’s great that we’ve brought in some unproven types but you cannot build an entire squad round that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 14, 2020, 6:49am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,905
Gold Stars: 180
2 rumours that did the rounds were a young lad from Man Utd and Charlie Adam.

Haven’t heard anything else about it so am guessing they were only ‘rumours’

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
jamesgtfc
August 14, 2020, 9:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
We definitely need at least 1 LB, Glennon would be ideal but it probably won't happen.

I would like to see a tough tackling box to box midfielder who has been around a bit, another big lad up front because Green wins nothing in the air and Hanson won't play every game. We need a couple of utility players and probably another CB if we are playing 3 at the back.

That would still leave our midfield a bit light though. Holloway has put a call into Burnley so I expect us to get at least a player from them, but probably not the 2 we had.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
quebec38
August 14, 2020, 9:27am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
I am going to attempt to put together a list of what we have in order to work out what we might need. Football has taken a bit of a backseat the last few months so I’m not certain who is still with us and who isn’t but anyway, here goes.
Also, obviously some players positions are subjective so let’s just go with it. Players aren’t in any order of ability either.

Goalkeepers
Mckeown
Battersby
Russell

Defenders
Full backs
Hendrie

Central
Mohsni
Waterfall
Ohman
Pollock

Midfielders
Hewitt
Clifton
Williams

Attackers
Wide
Wright
Tilley

Central
Hanson
Green
Gibson
Jackson Jr

I think that’s everyone. I’ve not included the likes of Curran or Starbuck as I still don’t expect them to do much for us in the coming season but I may be wrong.
So looking at that I’d say we’re sorted in goal, central defence and centre forwards. I’m not sure whether Jackson Jr or Gibson are forwards that might be utilised wide in a 3 like Green in the past.
I’m guessing Williams was signed as a starter, Ollie seems to like Hewitt in there and then we’ll need at least 1 but hopefully 2 more in central midfield if we’re going with 3 in there like last season.
I’d like to see at least 1 more winger type and probably 2 more full backs added as well.
Ideally see 5 or 6 more coming in then. No loan deals done yet so I think that could be a realistic number.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Squad coming together nicely..... whats missing

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.