2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
August 3, 2020, 2:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Absolutely agree with Bigdog. A percentage of income as we have now is fine, it's just the inept EFL who can't govern it that is the problem.

We used to have salary caps and players led by Jimmy Hill among others, fought to end those days. I think our board take prudence to the extreme, and this newly touted salary cap looks like a great thing to a board that have already made up their minds that 1.5 million is sufficient to build a competitive team, so having everyone else at the same level justifies their lack of ambition. In my opinion, it's a race to the bottom, where we have been presiding happily for far too long.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 12
aldi_01
August 4, 2020, 7:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from ginnywings
Absolutely agree with Bigdog. A percentage of income as we have now is fine, it's just the inept EFL who can't govern it that is the problem.

We used to have salary caps and players led by Jimmy Hill among others, fought to end those days. I think our board take prudence to the extreme, and this newly touted salary cap looks like a great thing to a board that have already made up their minds that 1.5 million is sufficient to build a competitive team, so having everyone else at the same level justifies their lack of ambition. In my opinion, it's a race to the bottom, where we have been presiding happily for far too long.

I’d agree it’s a race to the bottom, especially where our board are concerned. We’d see finishing 12th a success.

This is why I can’t get excited about Holloway. I don’t believe he would see mid table as success but then he will have known the numbers (you’d hope) from the start. I expect him to walk the moment the short sighted and ambition less approach is realised.

A salary cap is great for clubs like ours as you say, we’ve decided on a low/tight (whichever you prefer) budget and a salary cap justifies that. Again though we’d be left behind. Clubs with more income would beat us to players, ways to circumvent would be explored and with the EFL being incompetent it simple wouldn’t be implemented correctly.

As stated too, simply because we’re not a progressive club, lack ambition and believe our way is the right way doesn’t mean others should be penalised. For me it highlights again why a change at the top is entirely necessary or it won’t be long before the current custodians of the club take us down again. We could list their faults but for the more pragmatic among the fan base, they know them all already.

A salary cap actually worries me as a fan of football but as a fan of GTFC, the club seemingly positioning itself in support of something which long term is likely to be detrimental to the club is even more concerning...but again I can see many now saying this is just another way for folk to bash the club. I mean it’s not, it’s genuine concern but that seems to be the natural response.

Also, we’re all assuming, again as previously mentioned, the incompetent EFL to ensure it happens and is implemented correctly.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 12
pen penfras
August 4, 2020, 7:40am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -131
Gold Stars: 71
It's not like our board proposed the salary cap and implemented it. Jesus Christ, you will spin literally everything to criticise them!

The salary cap doesn't make sense, I agree. Do Macclesfield have enough income to even pay that much? It's certainly way more than 50% of their income, so they'll keep doing what they do every year.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 12
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › SCMP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.