Grimsby Skinheads wanted

This thread currently has 6,499 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
abank00
June 19, 2020, 7:43pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: -2
I’m grimsby born n bred but I go to uni in london, and for a project I’m doing some research on subcultures in the area- was wondering if there’s anyone on here who was involved with the original skinhead culture in the 80s or if there is anyone who identifies with the movement now? I’ve become involved with sections of the scene since I moved away, thanks
Logged Offline
Private Message
livosnose
June 19, 2020, 7:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,176
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from abank00
I’m grimsby born n bred but I go to uni in london, and for a project I’m doing some research on subcultures in the area- was wondering if there’s anyone on here who was involved with the original skinhead culture in the 80s or if there is anyone who identifies with the movement now? I’ve become involved with sections of the scene since I moved away, thanks

Stacey ? Andy Parkinson ? Nicky Law ?

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
moosey_club
June 19, 2020, 7:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
Skinhead culture originally hails from the 60's.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
Limerick Mariner
June 19, 2020, 8:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,727
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from moosey_club
Skinhead culture originally hails from the 60's.

And reached Boston last year...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
pontoon442
June 19, 2020, 9:24pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / -3
Approval: -256
Gold Stars: 5
Skinheads existed in Grimsby 69 to 70, then it was Suedeheads 71 and Smoothies 72 then Bootboys (Pontoon) for a few years, the '78 skinhead revival (London) never really caught on in Grimsby, except for a few Oi racist skinheads in early 80's very scruffy horrors, no resemblance to original Skins in fashion, music, football, scooters...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S9yeVthAUQ
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
forza ivano
June 19, 2020, 9:33pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
My brother and I were rude boys back in the day, down here in Aylesbury.can confirm pontoon442 's post that there was v few skinheads/rude boys during that time.. in Gy and Clee. Remember spending a fruitless Saturday in Gy searching for Fred Perry gear, but to no avail. The friendships I made at the time were all with scooter boys/ mods who were intrigued by a southern gtfc supporting skinhead!
Still identify as a skinhead ,although really only dress that way for gigs and dances. Whole scene is good these days with mods, skins and northern soul boys all inter mingling.very non racist, as the people are true 'believers' in the music and the ethos. Music is great too as the d.j.s tend to play the original blue beat and rocksteady. Down  here it attracts a very mixed crowd black ,white, young, old and it's all very chilled
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 20, 2020, 9:58am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,300
Gold Stars: 307
Oh how things have changed......if message boards had existed when I was a kid a thread called 'Grimsby Skinheads wanted' would have been an attempt to get a bunch of lads together for a punch up or a rival club's skins looking to organise a rumble with our lot on match day.

In 2020 it's a request for information for academic research.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
Limerick Mariner
June 20, 2020, 10:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,727
Gold Stars: 137
Oh how things have changed......if message boards had existed when I was a kid a thread called 'Grimsby Skinheads wanted' would have been an attempt to get a bunch of lads together for a punch up or a rival club's skins looking to organise a rumble with our lot on match day.

In 2020 it's a request for information for academic research.

From since about the time of the first Electronic Fishcake it's not really been a matter of choice for me to be one...the number 0 setting on the clippers only takes a couple of minutes to keep the full skinner tidy...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
chelseacity
June 20, 2020, 10:59am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +364
Gold Stars: 9
I first met Cockney Ron when a group of lads about 15 of them came into the Beachcomber around 1969/1970, skin head hair cut, white round necked t shirts ( grandad shirts), braces on their levi jeans with rolled up bottoms, brown doc martins, i had never seen anything like it as a 16 year old kid. That summer i joined their little band & we went to Skegness as we all bought Lambretta scooters, naturally the rockers turned up & there were fights all over Town, we then joined up with the Grimsby Town fans called the Pontoon Boot Boys, there was never any thought of racism in either group as our enemy were other football teams firms & the rockers. I have hundreds more memories of all of this plus the move into the next progression from skinhead to Punk.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
TownSNAFU5
June 20, 2020, 12:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
There were a lot of skinheads (and dockers apparently) who went to the Lincoln v Town derby in 1969 or 1970.  I never saw any of these “fans” at another Town game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Grimsby Skinheads wanted

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.