3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
paramariner
May 15, 2020, 2:15pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +197
Gold Stars: 8
Read on Telegraph website that councillors local to Freemo are gonna vote against any proposals for a stadium there after it was suggested up to 100 homes would have to be demolished.
Imagine the cost of compulsory purchases, even at £50,000 grand each you're talking £5,000,000.
Logged Offline
Private Message
denni266
May 15, 2020, 2:32pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
I thought Mr Day said wont need to get rid of houses and that there was enough room as it is . I can see us either ending up with a new owner that we know nothing about or how he will look after the club  or a soup bowl with no space to have anything big enough to be a cash cow for the club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
paramariner
May 15, 2020, 2:38pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +197
Gold Stars: 8
Think it came from Shutes last statement to the Telegraph.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
Heisenberg
May 15, 2020, 2:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from paramariner
Read on Telegraph website that councillors local to Freemo are gonna vote against any proposals for a stadium there after it was suggested up to 100 homes would have to be demolished.
Imagine the cost of compulsory purchases, even at £50,000 grand each you're talking £5,000,000.

Surely they’re all council owned properties?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
Boris Johnson
May 15, 2020, 3:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
In not far off 60.  Ive said and Im prepared to state again, that I do not expect to see the Club in a new stadium in my lifetime, and Im optimistic of an average innings.

No nearer now then we where what 20/25 years ago, when De-Freitas constantly thwarted every move.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 27
MarinerDevil
May 15, 2020, 3:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
So it's Shutes' comments that have turned some councillors?  That will go down well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
denni266
May 15, 2020, 3:25pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from MarinerDevil
So it's Shutes' comments that have turned some councillors?  That will go down well.

If so, he has been clever to work out how to put a spanner in the works of the only other option available right now, and turn the table all the way round to his plan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 27
Stadium
May 15, 2020, 3:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from paramariner
Think it came from Shutes last statement to the Telegraph.

Which Mr Day dismissed I believe?
Edit:

Mr Shutes says that for the development on Freeman Street to go ahead 100 houses would have to be demolished. This is not the case. There is sufficient space for the construction of a stadium without any demolition.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
Dogger Bank
May 15, 2020, 3:37pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +161
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from Boris Johnson
In not far off 60.  Ive said and Im prepared to state again, that I do not expect to see the Club in a new stadium in my lifetime, and Im optimistic of an average innings.

No nearer now then we where what 20/25 years ago, when De-Freitas constantly thwarted every move.

We'll be lucky to have a club then. Staying at Blundell Park would be disastrous and a new ground is imperative to the club's long term future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 27
White_shorts
May 15, 2020, 5:23pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -648
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from Heisenberg

Surely they’re all council owned properties?

Councillor Rudd says many of the residents have managed to work hard and buy the properties for themselves.

The Freemen really should have explained by now why their vision did not include the houses on Thesiger Walk. There are some apartments planned for the other side of the road. Maybe they feel the residents can be persuaded to move into them.

The Blundell Park footprint fits into the area between Albert Street and Garibaldi Street. There is approximately 15 metres around the perimeter for community offices and shops. In my opinion, there is no need to demolish all of the houses.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 27
dapperz fun pub
May 15, 2020, 5:49pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,020
Gold Stars: 83
No wonder this town is stuck in the dark ages obstacle after obstacle no desire to improve things ( from some ) , I agree with boris Johnson this won’t happen in the foreseeable future very very disappointing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
mimma
May 15, 2020, 5:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
FFS NO houses will have to demolished near to Freeman Street.

Shutes wrongly stated there would be but it is simply not true. He is trying to discedit the Freeman Street to get council support for his own pet project.

Stop playing his games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
Iknowyoursecret
May 15, 2020, 7:24pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +0 / -3
Approval: -34
Gold Stars: 2
The stadium just fits I agree but what about car parking,and no doubt the council will charge in their car parks around the area,even if you count ALL the nearest car parking spaces there would not be enough to accommodate the fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
White_shorts
May 15, 2020, 10:34pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Iknowyoursecret
The stadium just fits I agree but what about car parking,and no doubt the council will charge in their car parks around the area,even if you count ALL the nearest car parking spaces there would not be enough to accommodate the fans.

I find that an oddly negative first post, Iknowyoursecret.

There's a car park on Garibaldi Street; there should be a new car park between Albert Street and Kent Street; a large car park could be created on Murray Street (I don't mean fill in the dock); you can park on Railway Street; if you don't want to leave your car on the East Marsh, park in Freshney Place and get a bus.

Lazy car owners wanting to park for free right next to their destination, give me strength.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 27
mimma
May 16, 2020, 3:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
It hasn't stopped fans driving to Blundell Park has it?

Stop this negative nit picking.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
White_shorts
May 16, 2020, 3:46pm
Lager Top Drinker
I have had another look at Google satellite images. I now estimate there would be 13 metres of perimeter space. Assuming leg room is 85cm, that would allow for an extra 15 rows of seats all around the stadium.

Can someone produce an image of Blundell Park superimposed onto Garibaldi Street?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 27
GollyGTFC
May 16, 2020, 3:54pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,049
Gold Stars: 358
[img]https://i2-prod.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/incoming/article2515264.ece/ALTERNATES/s1227b/0_Freemen-vision.jpg[/img]

It wasn't Shutes who released this image of a potential new stadium though was it?

A image which has around 100 houses that are still standing, still lived in and many privately owned missing and the stadium built over the top of them.

We all want a new stadium as soon as possible, but the Freeman Street site isn't particularly good in reality. The docks site is infinitely better if it can be delivered. No houses any where near it. Not in an established retail area. An iconic location. Next to a redeveloped Ice House with bars, restaurants etc...
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 27
KingstonMariner
May 16, 2020, 5:46pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I have no confidence in either scheme until they come forward and show how much it will cost and how it will be funded with specific  numbers rather than vague statements about “enabling development”. Show us your working out and show us your money.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
diehardmariner
May 18, 2020, 10:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
I wonder how much of this recent uptake in stadium talk is merely the Telegraph chasing something from Shutes and then also the club to fill in the gaps in regular news?

Truth is, we've no idea what the economic picture will look in a months time, never mind a year.  Looking at it idealistically, the Government will try to kick start the economy with a massive spend on public projects and the whole Freeman Street/Docks area will be the thing in our area.  If that happens, the stadium will happen because private investors will be queuing up to be part of it.

If the Government just isolate and hope everything sorts itself out, I can't see the stadium happening for a long time.  Private investment will only come if there's some public infrastructure put in place first.  Be it private or public, the stadium can't happen without significant backing.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
aldi_01
May 18, 2020, 1:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I have no confidence in either scheme until they come forward and show how much it will cost and how it will be funded with specific  numbers rather than vague statements about “enabling development”. Show us your working out and show us your money.

Ironic isn’t it, the club call out a bloke who has clearly kept his cards to his chest but they themselves won’t actually give us an idea of a plan etc...

May be they wanna see Shutes’ plan to get some ideas for their own?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
Boris Johnson
May 18, 2020, 2:28pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from aldi_01

Ironic isn’t it, the club call out a bloke who has clearly kept his cards to his chest but they themselves won’t actually give us an idea of a plan etc...

We all want to see Shoutes Plan......like for the next 15 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
MarinerWY
May 18, 2020, 10:24pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from KingstonMariner

This. I no longer allow myself to get excited about a  ew stadium, and only will when someone provides something tangible rather than speculative images of what something 'could' look like - that step can come once the money is actually there
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
Ipswin
May 18, 2020, 10:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from aldi_01

And nothing wrong with that especially if they embrace it but frankly I think they would much rather see Shutes' money.

They might then let him proceed with his plan (as personal terms with JSF had been agreed) but he hasn't got the backers with enough cash any more than the current GTFC owners and board

Anyway I think Shutes has his eye on developing Grimsby far more widely than a new stadium for the football club which I suspect is not at the top of his wish list.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
Bigdog
May 19, 2020, 12:50am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from GollyGTFC
[img]https://i2-prod.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/incoming/article2515264.ece/ALTERNATES/s1227b/0_Freemen-vision.jpg[/img]

It wasn't Shutes who released this image of a potential new stadium though was it?

An image which has around 100 houses that are still standing, still lived in and many privately owned missing and the stadium built over the top of them.

We all want a new stadium as soon as possible, but the Freeman Street site isn't particularly good in reality. The docks site is infinitely better if it can be delivered. No houses any where near it. Not in an established retail area. An iconic location. Next to a redeveloped Ice House with bars, restaurants etc...

I like both plans. Docks and Freemo. Images and locations far better than that fireworks effort on Peaks Parkway. Just anyone, sometime very soon.. show us the money..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
White_shorts
May 19, 2020, 3:52pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

A image which has around 100 houses that are still standing, still lived in and many privately owned missing and the stadium built over the top of them.

Freeman Street has one big advantage: it is brownfield, whereas the dock is rather watery. Coronavirus may have a bearing on unnecessary expense.

I don't agree the dock is 'infinitely' better. No houses? There must be a lot of fans living on the East Marsh who would love the stadium to be just a stone's throw away.

Not an established retail area? Freeman Street was half boarded up the last time I walked down there. The community stadium is likely to have some retail outlets built into it, like the club shop at Blundell Park.

Iconic location? An operational port? How many businesses on Wickham Road and Marsden Road are open on Saturday afternoon? There is only one road in and out. Even if there is no works traffic, there is likely to be terrible congestion after the full-time whistle.

The obvious site for the new stadium is staring us in the face. It annoys me that some people want to fill in the dock just because they think the matchday experience should involve lording it over plebs and gazing at passing ships.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
KingstonMariner
May 19, 2020, 5:06pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Where does the 'lording it over plebs' bit come from White_Shorts? Is this some imagined slight in Chip-on-your-shoulder-inverted-snob-world?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
aldi_01
May 20, 2020, 7:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
One could argue that both sites are good options, they both have the odd pitfall but on the whole, both are actually the best options put forward so far in the saga of GTFC’s new stadium.

The whole redevelop of Freemo, and then building of a stadium would see the place improve and businesses open, the dock is iconic and would market itself I think.

I don’t think we should be worrying about parking etc. part of the plan should be about sustainable travel, environmentally friendly options like encouraging people to use buses, walk etc. I appreciate that’s not an option for some but the club has to look at that.

It’s clear that some have made their decision about Shutes based on the clubs portrayed image of him and that’s fine but I’m not sure believing everything the club says is sensible...smoke bombs smuggled in like tampons anyone? Child waving a flag is dangerous? Operation promotion didn’t help towards the promotion season etc.

I, like many will naturally join the conversation but I don’t see us moving anytime soon (we could miss the boat during the wider redevelopment of the area) and I simply cannot get excited...Philip Day essentially sat there with his hands out ‘begging’ and asking if anyone’s got a spare 20m said a lot...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
Bigdog
May 20, 2020, 1:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from aldi_01
One could argue that both sites are good options, they both have the odd pitfall but on the whole, both are actually the best options put forward so far in the saga of GTFC’s new stadium.

The whole redevelop of Freemo, and then building of a stadium would see the place improve and businesses open, the dock is iconic and would market itself I think.

I don’t think we should be worrying about parking etc. part of the plan should be about sustainable travel, environmentally friendly options like encouraging people to use buses, walk etc. I appreciate that’s not an option for some but the club has to look at that.

It’s clear that some have made their decision about Shutes based on the clubs portrayed image of him and that’s fine but I’m not sure believing everything the club says is sensible...smoke bombs smuggled in like tampons anyone? Child waving a flag is dangerous? Operation promotion didn’t help towards the promotion season etc.

I, like many will naturally join the conversation but I don’t see us moving anytime soon (we could miss the boat during the wider redevelopment of the area) and I simply cannot get excited...Philip Day essentially sat there with his hands out ‘begging’ and asking if anyone’s got a spare 20m said a lot...

As I've said before on this thread, I like both proposals, but..

It's worth noting that we have to eliminate from our minds the impressive proposed images of the new stadium down Freemo, which were provided by the Freeman of Grimsby. They bear no resemblance to a "20 mill cheapest option four stands stadium" that on record, Philip Day has been talking about. We move forward with the club at Freeman Street, we won't be getting anything like the stadium the Freeman of Grimsby, the designers, Hodson Architects or ourselves envisage..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Nail in coffin

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.