2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
The Yard Dog
May 11, 2020, 1:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,514
Gold Stars: 74
On this day remember the 56 people who died and 256 people injured in the Bradford City Stadium fire on 11 May 1985.

The match against Lincoln City, the final game of that season, had started in a celebratory atmosphere with the home-team receiving the Football League Third Division trophy. At 3.40 p.m., a small fire in the main stand was remarked upon by the TV commentator John Helm, but in less than four minutes, with the windy conditions, it had entirely engulfed the whole stand, trapping some people in their seats. In the mass panic that ensued, fleeing crowds escaped on to the pitch but others at the back of the stand tried to break down locked exit doors to escape, and many were burnt to death at the turnstiles gates, which had also been locked after the match had begun. There were many cases of heroism, with more than 50 people later receiving police awards or commendations for bravery.

My thought are with Bradford and everyone effect, but especially the families who lost loved ones and the injured.

RIP
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimsby pete
May 11, 2020, 1:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
Very sad indeed I remember watching the game on tv and they showed the whole horrendous scenes. Very upsetting.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
Jackal
May 11, 2020, 1:26pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +211
Gold Stars: 15
I remember watching this unfurl live on tv.  Absolutely tragic to watch.
I particularly remember seeing a policeman desperately trying to pull more people out of the burning stand whilst his own hair was on fire.  Brave man indeed.
RIP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
codcheeky
May 11, 2020, 1:45pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
It was very upsetting , I can also remember watching it live on TV and a man completely on fire coming out the stand, it showed how lax safety had become, I remember smelling smoke when in the main stand and like Hillsboro, which made me recall the times we we crushed solid and laughed at not being able to get a proper breath, that it could easily have been any of us at many, many grounds at time.
My thoughts are with those who lost loved today and thanks to the original poster for the reminder. RIP
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
Les Brechin
May 11, 2020, 2:03pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
I remember the day very well. We won 2-0 at Crystal Palace that day with Kev Drinkell scoring his final 2 goals for us.

As we were staying over in London that night we went out on the Saturday evening and bought an early edition of The Sunday People which was already out on the Saturday evening. They had a report about the fire but it said that "nobody was thought to have died". How wrong they were.

RIP to all those who lost their lives that day.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 15
AussieMariner
May 11, 2020, 2:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from The Yard Dog
On this day remember the 56 people who died and 256 people injured in the Bradford City Stadium fire on 11 May 1985.

The match against Lincoln City, the final game of that season, had started in a celebratory atmosphere with the home-team receiving the Football League Third Division trophy. At 3.40 p.m., a small fire in the main stand was remarked upon by the TV commentator John Helm, but in less than four minutes, with the windy conditions, it had entirely engulfed the whole stand, trapping some people in their seats. In the mass panic that ensued, fleeing crowds escaped on to the pitch but others at the back of the stand tried to break down locked exit doors to escape, and many were burnt to death at the turnstiles gates, which had also been locked after the match had begun. There were many cases of heroism, with more than 50 people later receiving police awards or commendations for bravery.

My thought are with Bradford and everyone effect, but especially the families who lost loved ones and the injured.

RIP

Thanks for this Yard Dog
My cousin Gerald (40) and his twin sons Robert and Richard (12) perished in the fire so I appreciate the thoughts
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
Boris Johnson
May 11, 2020, 3:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
For years after, any Fire Training I seemed to go on, would show the extent of that fire, and how quickly it spread.

An absolute tragedy, a terrible loss of life.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 15
The Yard Dog
May 11, 2020, 4:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,514
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from AussieMariner

Thanks for this Yard Dog
My cousin Gerald (40) and his twin sons Robert and Richard (12) perished in the fire so I appreciate the thoughts

No problem, we go to support our team, it never enters my head, that I might not come home after a game.  It should because many time supporting GTFC during my lifetime, they have been a few scary moments. Its events like this when supporters from clubs over the country unite together as one football family.

I have been watching various BT docementaries during lockdown, one in particular stood out "One day in May" Gabby Logan remembers the Bradford City fire

The presenter, who witnessed one of the worst stadium disasters in British football history 30 years ago today, speaks to survivors in One Day in May: The Story of the Bradford City Fire.

“It’s supposed to be a day of celebration.” Those were commentator John Helm’s baffled words as the first flames took hold at Bradford City’s stadium on 11th May 1985. 11,000 fans had come to watch the team play the final game of the season against Lincoln City and lift the Division Three trophy.

At 3.40pm a fire was spotted in the main stand. Within four minutes the whole of the wooden stand was ablaze. A new BT Sport documentary presented by Gabby Logan looks back on the events of that day. Logan, then 12 years old, was at Valley Parade that day – her father Terry Yorath was Bradford City’s assistant manager – and she and her father still recall what happened in vivid detail: the day 56 fans went to watch a football match, and never came home.

Logan is just one witness in a documentary that gives voice to many survivors that day: players, supporters, police, doctors and nurses.

The 78-year-old stand was due to be demolished and replaced the very next day. Team captain Peter Jackson, 22 at the time, worked at the ground his whole career, and tells Logan how as an apprentice he used to sweep the rubbish down through holes in the stand floor. “It was a tinderbox waiting to happen,” he says.

Karl Hepton tells the camera how he went to the ground with his grandma Nellie Foster. Karl was just nine years old, and was lifted out of the stand by 64-year-old Nellie and told to run. That was the last he saw of her. His brother Carl, who didn’t have a ticket that day, went to the local hospital to try find her. “We thought she were invincible, but she didn’t get out,” he says.

There are many such stories of heroism. Matthew Wildman suffers from rheumatoid arthritis, and was on crutches when the fire started just one block away from where he was sitting. He was rescued from the blaze twice by fellow supporter David Hustler, who caught Matthew as he jumped eight foot from the stand to safety on the concrete floor below.

David, we’re told, now has problems with his memory, but when the pair meet again the events of Valley Parade still seem fresh. “Everything I did that day is in my head,” says David.

Now those memories are also recorded, the testimony of eyewitnesses saved. “The Bradford Fire story has never been told like this before,” Logan says. “It is in many ways the quiet tragedy and that reflects the personality of the city. The people of Bradford were incredible in the way they reacted on the 11th May 1985 and they have been remarkable in the way they have allowed us to tell the story in 2015.”

A very good documentary, hard to watch without shredding a tear, I don't mind admitting it either.

I will bow my head and hold my own one minute rememberance, forever in my thoughts.

[/center]IN MEMORIAM

The names of the 56 victims of the Valley Parade Fire Disaster - 11 May 1985

ACKROYD, John Douglas, 32, Baildon

ANDERTON, Edmund, 68, Bingley

BAINES, Alexander Shaw, 70, Bradford

BAMFORD, Herbert, 72, Bradford

BULMER, Christopher James, 11, Burley-in-Wharfedale

COXON, Jack Leo, 76, Bradford

COXON, Leo Anthony, 44, Halifax

CRABTREE, David James, 30, Bradford

CRABTREE, Harry, 76, Bradford

DEMPSEY, Derek, 46, Morley

FIRTH, Muriel, 65, Baildon

FIRTH, Samuel, 86, Bradford

FLETCHER, Andrew, 11, East Bridgford, Nottingham

FLETCHER, Edmund, 63, Pudsey

FLETCHER, John, 34, East Bridgford, Nottingham

FLETCHER, Peter, 32, Gildersome

FOSTER, Nellie, 64, Bradford

GREENWOOD, Felix Winspear, 13, Denholme

GREENWOOD, Peter, 46, Denholme

GREENWOOD, Rupert Benedict, 11, Denholme

HALL, Norman, 70, Bradford

HALLIDAY, Peter, 34, Bradford

HARTLEY, Arthur, 79, Bradford

HINDLE, Edith, 79, Bradford

HINDLE, Fred, 76, Bradford

HODGSON, Moira Helen, 15, Oakenshaw

HUDSON, Eric, 73, Bingley

HUGHES, John, 64, Bradford

HUTTON, John, 74, Bradford

KERR, Walter, 76, Bradford

LOVELL, Peter Charles, 43, Bradford

LUDLAM, Jack, 55, Bradford

McPHERSON, Gordon, 39, Bradford

McPHERSON, Irene, 27, Bradford

MASON, Roy, 74, Silsden

MIDDLETON, Frederick Norman, 84, Bradford

MITCHELL, Harold, 79, Bradford

MUHL, Elizabeth, 21, Leeds

NORMINGTON, Ernest, 75, Shipley

ORMONDROYD, Gerald Priestley, 40, Bingley

ORMONDROYD, Richard John, 12, Bingley

ORMONDROYD, Robert Ian, 12, Bingley

POLLARD, Sylvia Lund, 69, Bradford

PRICE, Herbert, 78, Shipley

ROBERTS, Amanda Jane, 20, Bradford

SAMPSON, Jayne, 18, Leeds

STACEY, William, 72, Sleaford, Lincoln

STOCKMAN, Craig Albert, 14, Bradford

STOCKMAN, Jayne Ashley, 16, Bradford

STOCKMAN, Trevor John, 38, Brighouse

TURNER, Howard, 41, Bingley

TURNER, Sarah, 16, Bingley

WARD, Simon Neil, 18, Shipley

WEDGEWORTH, Robert, 72, Guiseley

WEST, William James, 78, North Hykeham, Lincoln

WRIGHT, Adrian Mark, 11, Bradford

Remember 'The 56'[center]

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
Abdul19
May 11, 2020, 4:45pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218
That BT documentary is on tonight for anyone who hasn't seen it before (I think it's on their website to watch for free too?). Terrifying viewing.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 11, 2020, 6:32pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Even more poignant given the loss of Trevor Cherry so recently.

My father and I sat transfixed before the TV that day. Looking back on it the ITV director at the time must have been in agonies about allowing filming to continue and I am sure today it would have been switched over to another camera to avoid some of those horror scenes. We must not forget, there are families with empty chairs tonight.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 35th Anniversary of the Bradford disaster

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.