3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
norfuk mariner
May 10, 2020, 1:44pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +200
Gold Stars: 2
In those days the scores were not all available till early in the second half!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
Lincoln Mariner 56
May 10, 2020, 1:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,765
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Mayaman

The marching Mariners band.   They didn't have get some stick.  There's no need for half-time entertainment these days.  Everybody buries their head into their phones.  I 'd forgotten about the letters.  Yeah for half time scores but was there really a need as they had a tannoy - or was the band too loud to hear?

Remember they also had an additional 1& 2 category so they could cover all half times so they were changed after a certain amount of time.

As for the Barrett Stand one memory which really stands out is the name calling that went out when someone failed to close one of the back doors at the top of the back stairs. It was equivalent to your parents shouting if you left the back door open on a cold day.

Another is a group of guys who stood together and we nicknamed them the “ Crunchie Crowd” as they always gave the Ginger headed lad, who walked round the outside of the pitch (another memory) selling confectionery loads of stick.

Great days except for that 69/70 season which was pretty woeful stuff with low attendances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
Ipswin
May 10, 2020, 2:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
My oldest memory is the charity collection which used to take place with four or more people carrying a sheet around the ground with an extra bit sewn in the middle to catch the coins thrown in from the stands. A couple of extra guys walked along picking up coins that missed the catching sheet and landed in the grass.

I didn't think about it at the time but it was bloody dangerous, the old pennies, halfpennies and threepenny bits would have cut your scalp or worse if you were hit in the face. Most fans near the front simply tossed coins straight into the sheet but those at the back threw them very hard!

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
ginnywings
May 10, 2020, 2:38pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Ipswin
My oldest memory is the charity collection which used to take place with four or more people carrying a sheet around the ground with an extra bit sewn in the middle to catch the coins thrown in from the stands. A couple of extra guys walked along picking up coins that missed the catching sheet and landed in the grass.

I didn't think about it at the time but it was bloody dangerous, the old pennies, halfpennies and threepenny bits would have cut your scalp or worse if you were hit in the face. Most fans near the front simply tossed coins straight into the sheet but those at the back threw them very hard!

A tarpaulin muster.

It's a vague memory, a long time ago, but i remember when we had promotion winning league teams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
Epworth Mariner
May 10, 2020, 3:56pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +668
Gold Stars: 57
Remember when we were allowed to move around in the ground?
At kick off if town were attacking the Osmond end I used to run past the Barrats to get behind the goal.....then change at half time back in the pontoon
No idea where away fans were located....forgot....lol

I used to have a wooden rattle as well........remember them?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
NorthseaMariner
May 10, 2020, 4:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
Wooden rattles, ah yes, bought mine from The Army Stores on Freeman Street.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
Heisenberg
May 10, 2020, 4:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
The GOFERS - Grimsby’s Official Football Express Retrieval Service. Aka ball boys! Not going THAT far back there, admittedly. I only started going in ‘89, and it was substantially after that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
KingstonMariner
May 11, 2020, 7:37pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Heisenberg
The GOFERS - Grimsby’s Official Football Express Retrieval Service. Aka ball boys! Not going THAT far back there, admittedly. I only started going in ‘89, and it was substantially after that.

We weren’t at BP in 1889

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
Heisenberg
May 11, 2020, 11:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from KingstonMariner

We weren’t at BP in 1889

You honestly bothered to type that?! Anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
jock dock tower
May 12, 2020, 3:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
I remember Clive Spencer the Town mascot in the late 1960s, because he was in the 1st Cleethorpes Boys Brigade with me.

I remember the Supporter's Club hut by the corner of the Constitutional and Barratt Stands, just next to the floodlights.

I remember songs such as "Daisy" and "2-4-6-8- who do we appreciate?" but the best of the lot was the often gutteral roar from the Barratt after a refereeing decision went against the Town "oh,oh,oh, what a referee, what a referee, what a refereee, of, oh, oh, what a referee S H 1 T H O U S E!"

I remember being in the Boys' Stand at the end of the Barratt, and playing football with plastic cups when the game got boring.

I remember Moore, Hurst, and Peters heading back to London after riding their luck in a League Cup quarter final to draw 2-2.

I remember that rank rotten unlit "toilet" at the back of the Barratt, right at the end of the stand.

I remember Dot's washing facilities in the Main Stand.

Memories......

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › BP memories

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.