May 4, 2020, 11:02am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +157
Gold Stars: 5
Oumare Tounkara - I had high hopes when we signed him, but he wasn't great
Serge Makofo - See above
Peter Winn - Put a good shift in, about it.
Scott Kerr - one of the many unremarkable midfielders Hursty signed (until he hit gold with Nolan, Clay and they worked well with Arnold and Disley)
Paddy McLaughlin - was a neat winger to start with, was sad to see him go.
Jamal Fyfield - the worst right back I have ever seen
Clayton McDonald - not the best personal background, and was a reasonable player, sticks in my mind he sprayed a cross the pitch pass onto the boot of our left winger  -anyone remember this?
Joe Colbeck - unremarkable midfielder
Logged Offline
Private Message
Abdul19
May 4, 2020, 11:17am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
Gold Stars: 218
I'll go for Nathan Dixon, who played 8 minutes in 10/11

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 43
pizzzza
May 4, 2020, 11:22am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Forgotten?? I can remember them all Surely every Town fan knows the Makofo story? McDonald was huge with a checkered past but I'll always remember him for that winner at Glanford Park in the Cup. Colbeck - that goal direct from a corner at Sincil Bank springs to mind...
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 43
Poojah
May 4, 2020, 11:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
I remember the night we signed Makofo. We were playing Kettering on a Tuesday night and we signed him as soon as he got off the team bus; they had quite literally driven him here. If that's not a warning sign, I don't know what is.

Winn had great technique and yet games just seemed to pass him by. He had a good pedigree and had quite a few League One games under his belt; the way his career tailed off makes you wonder whether there was some underlying problem.

I liked McDonald. I recall that pass very well although not necessarily which game it occurred in - for the big unit he was he actually struck me as quite a clever defender with good technique. He blamed the whole Ched Evans incident for the destruction of his career; he never got the public reprieve that Evans did.

Colbeck was alright. Scored from a corner in that 4-1 win at Lincoln and made the goal for Cook against Wrexham at Wembley. Quick if not technically the best player in the world.

If you want truly forgettable players, you needn't look beyond out first season in the Conference. Danny Carlton and Tom Corner are just two picks from a spectacularly forgettable squad that year.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 43
Davec
May 4, 2020, 11:31am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
What about Will Antwi, solid defender who did a job.

Derek Niven, did a lot of the dirty work and always put in an effort.

Robert Eagle, very limited winger but did score the occasional cracker.

Gary Silk, I actually didn't mind him, had a good cross on him.

Sam Hatton. Again I didn't mind him, got a lot of stick when here.

Jamie Green, injury prone but looked promising.

Marcus Marshall, in his first spell looked bright until he tailed off after Luton declared an interest. In his 2nd spell he hardly played until he changed the game at Braintree!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 43
diehardmariner
May 4, 2020, 12:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Bryan Hughes - Great pedigree, could tell he had played at a higher level and his train of thought was quicker than everyone around him.  Just a shame his legs had gone.

Tyrone Thompson - Another footnote in what seemed an endless pursuit to find a capable central midfielder.

Manny Panther - see above, arguably one of the better ones and I think his time came to an end when he was harshly sent off against Lincoln.

Louie Soares - One of the biggest disappointments in recent years.  Arrived with a great goalscoring record, never once even threatened to score for us.

Michael Rankine - One of those players who caused us loads of problems when playing against us but never did anything when here.  See also Spencer, D.

Dougie Wilson - One of Hurst's loan signings that no-one quite knew what the point was.

Ritchie Jones - Another signed to sort a problem that wasn't there.  Tidy and effective but never spectacular.  One of many midfielders we had in the Conference who were better suited to a 3-man midfield, whilst he got his chance Paddy McLaughlin and Andi Thanoj, both equally looked better in a three, were forced out.

Hamish Watson - Absolute unit of a striker.  Never quite got a chance here, only memory is him coming on in the home defeat to Bristol Rovers late on and causing problems with his size.  Frustrating that he came on so late in a game where we were crying out for a physical presence.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 43
Roast Em Bobby
May 4, 2020, 12:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,723
Gold Stars: 44
Remember most of them, but some I can’t recall at all - which doesn’t say much for them 😀
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 43
Nutsy
May 4, 2020, 2:36pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +157
Who was a winger/forward (I think?) on loan from or previously played at Everton..?

Was meant to be the big next thing - can't remember at all?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 43
pizzzza
May 4, 2020, 2:49pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Nutsy
Who was a winger/forward (I think?) on loan from or previously played at Everton..?

Was meant to be the big next thing - can't remember at all?

Calum Dyson?
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 43
mariner83
May 4, 2020, 2:50pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Ben Tomlinson on loan in 2015

nope, no idea - I was trying to remember the name of a young lad we got on loan from Hull around the same time as Conor Townsend.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 9 - 43
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Forgotten players in National League

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.