2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Yossarian
May 1, 2020, 5:46pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,093
Gold Stars: 18
Sorry if this has been asked before or is even common knowledge that has somehow slipped me by in the many years I've been a Town support, but why did we have those goal mouth humps in the first place at Blundell Park?

I've seen we've removed them now but for some reason I never thought it was even unusual until people mentioned it to me.

Of course now I realise that all other profressional football clubs have flat pitches.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Garth
May 1, 2020, 7:05pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Should have raffled then off for charity, another chanced missed, would have looked great in the bedtoom
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
KingstonMariner
May 1, 2020, 8:45pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Garth
Should have raffled then off for charity, another chanced missed, would have looked great in the bedtoom

It’s the only way I’ll get a hump in the bedroom

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
golfer
May 2, 2020, 8:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
I am a qualified landscape gardener so I know about these things. In 1963 Town ordered new goal posts and I was assigned with the job of fitting them. I was on Town's books at the time as a goalkeeper. I had a problem - I hadn't finished growing so I was only 4ft 71/2ins. Mr Johnstone who always gave me advice said i could either shorten the goalposts or raise the ground with sand whenever it rained under the pretence of getting rid of puddles. I chose the latter. I was never picked for the first team even though our regular keepers were often injured with head injuries and probably was the main cause of our relegation at the end of that season.  I am so sorry.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
Teesknees
May 2, 2020, 9:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from Yossarian
Sorry if this has been asked before or is even common knowledge that has somehow slipped me by in the many years I've been a Town support, but why did we have those goal mouth humps in the first place at Blundell Park?

I've seen we've removed them now but for some reason I never thought it was even unusual until people mentioned it to me.

Of course now I realise that all other profressional football clubs have flat pitches.

You must have had a fascinating career?!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
Mallyner
May 2, 2020, 9:46am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
I don't know what has changed, perhaps pitch drainage but I remember games in the past where the goalmouth particularly at the Pontoon end, used to be a sea of mud, or heavily sanded mud. I think the humps were put in to counteract that and seemed to work.

Also though in those days more games were played, lots of reserve games and we trained on the pitch. That was a great pleasure going in as a young boy and watching it and being able to chat to the players. I remember how friendly Ralph Hunt was to us, bless him.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
golfer
May 2, 2020, 10:11am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
C'mon !   The humps were just a build up of sand put down when it was muddy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
promotion plaice
May 2, 2020, 10:56am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

The baffling thing is they had to remove concrete to level the goalmouths.

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2019/may/pitch-work-begins/

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 2, 2020, 11:13am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Mallyner
I don't know what has changed, perhaps pitch drainage but I remember games in the past where the goalmouth particularly at the Pontoon end, used to be a sea of mud, or heavily sanded mud. I think the humps were put in to counteract that and seemed to work.

Also though in those days more games were played, lots of reserve games and we trained on the pitch. That was a great pleasure going in as a young boy and watching it and being able to chat to the players. I remember how friendly Ralph Hunt was to us, bless him.  

The humps were like Topsy, they grew and grew. Or at least they appeared to. My theory is that when the Barrett was demolished and replaced, the rest of the pitch sunk to compensate, leaving just the sand castles in the goalmouths because these actually covered the water mains old lead pipes and meters which were prone to leaking and flooding the goalmouths. With the advent of digital metering these could be removed now and new pipes installed. Hence the removal of concrete to do the job.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
Garth
May 2, 2020, 11:25am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Come on lads, credit where its due, we were the first pioneer's to lead the world in
Flattening the peak
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The goalmouth humps

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.