2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
April 17, 2020, 8:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
Report just out now on the BBC from a professor and global health scientist.  He says that is very unrealistic that the Olympics will be held in 2021 unless a vaccine is found for the coronavirus.

Another expert said today that there maybe 5 or 6 waves of the virus coming back.

No idea of the credence of these views.  Does not bode well though for the re-introduction of large numbers of spectators at live sporting events etc. The Government is coming in for widespread criticism and I cannot see them taking risks with football.

We may have to wait longer for some sought of normality to return.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
April 17, 2020, 10:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
I’ve said all along that I don’t see how the Premier League can restart for at least 12 months. If you play matches behind closed doors it will just encourage fans to meet elsewhere to watch matches. Plus, everyone involved, from medical staff to groundsmen, would have to be tested regularly.

You can’t do that if the general public can’t get tested. What about other areas of the world who gather to watch the PL en masse around TVs.

Lower league clubs might be able to get started earlier but unless the PL puts finances before health, then no chance!! And they’d never do that would they?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
Heisenberg
April 17, 2020, 10:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
I’ve said all along that I don’t see how the Premier League can restart for at least 12 months. If you play matches behind closed doors it will just encourage fans to meet elsewhere to watch matches. Plus, everyone involved, from medical staff to groundsmen, would have to be tested regularly.

You can’t do that if the general public can’t get tested. What about other areas of the world who gather to watch the PL en masse around TVs.

Lower league clubs might be able to get started earlier but unless the PL puts finances before health, then no chance!! And they’d never do that would they?!

This whole thing scares the life out of me. How is the club supposed to survive? Our way of life has been taken from us, but what the authorities need to consider is how long we will accept the lifestyle change. I can see after a certain period people, even me, asking, is it worth it? This has ruined everything, I’ll take the risk. I’d rather live my old life and take that risk than live like a hermit, lose my old life, and club, and possibly not get it back anyway because of the say so of a scientist!

I know there are some seriously clever people looking into the future here, but their guidance may not be enough to dictate people’s actions for much longer.

Don’t get me wrong, I could easily do this for ages, I never get bored, but the one thing missing is football, and one day pretty soon I’ll think it’s worth the risk.

Please don’t take this as being irresponsible, maybe we’ve been spoilt (irony), but we’ll not live like this forever even if the experts advise it.

People have smoked, drank, taken substances, for years, risking everything. The government knows we demand normality pretty soon, and they have to give us it somehow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
GrimRob
April 18, 2020, 6:11am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,432
Gold Stars: 113
If the cases drop down to near zero in this country then it can start again. International travel is the problem. At the moment we are one of the few countries I believe that don't even quarantine new people arriving in this country. That will probably change though once our numbers start to improve. It is going to be hard to restart top fight football.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 12
Stadium
April 18, 2020, 9:50am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from GrimRob
If the cases drop down to near zero in this country then it can start again. International travel is the problem. At the moment we are one of the few countries I believe that don't even quarantine new people arriving in this country. That will probably change though once our numbers start to improve. It is going to be hard to restart top fight football.

Until testing including the antibody variety is reliably in place mass gatherings will surely be on hold.

Regarding air travel we don't check any persons entering the country.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/features/coronavirus-what-uk-airports-are-doing-to-keep-us-safe/

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
It Bites
April 18, 2020, 11:52am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,259
Gold Stars: 266
Can’t see mass gatherings happening any time this year I think realistically I’d guess any football will be on hold till august 2021
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
KingstonMariner
April 18, 2020, 12:03pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Heisenberg

This whole thing scares the life out of me. How is the club supposed to survive? Our way of life has been taken from us, but what the authorities need to consider is how long we will accept the lifestyle change. I can see after a certain period people, even me, asking, is it worth it? This has ruined everything, I’ll take the risk. I’d rather live my old life and take that risk than live like a hermit, lose my old life, and club, and possibly not get it back anyway because of the say so of a scientist!

I know there are some seriously clever people looking into the future here, but their guidance may not be enough to dictate people’s actions for much longer.

Don’t get me wrong, I could easily do this for ages, I never get bored, but the one thing missing is football, and one day pretty soon I’ll think it’s worth the risk.

Please don’t take this as being irresponsible, maybe we’ve been spoilt (irony), but we’ll not live like this forever even if the experts advise it.

People have smoked, drank, taken substances, for years, risking everything. The government knows we demand normality pretty soon, and they have to give us it somehow.

Keep calm and carry on.

It’s not just your health you’d be risking.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
Vance Warner
April 18, 2020, 12:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,830
Gold Stars: 105
Quoted from Heisenberg

None of those put other people's health at risk.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
KingstonMariner
April 18, 2020, 1:39pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Vance Warner

None of those put other people's health at risk.

Passive smoking
Driving under the influence
Operating dangerous machinery

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
grimsby pete
April 18, 2020, 2:49pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
The problem is the advice that the government is getting is from experts that are getting on with age.

Who is at most danger from this virus the older people.

So maybe the government should ask some younger experts what they think.😁😁

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Implications for fans at live games

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.