rancido
April 17, 2020, 12:51pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Gaffer58
What is the criteria to be an MP, teachers have to have a degree and then do2/3 years of training, airline pilots have to pass tests,both classroom based and actual flying time, even a HGV driver has to pass a test, so again what shows me that an MP is capable of doing their constituency job and then even becoming a minister in charge of a department, and eventually becoming the PM and running the country in a time of crisis.

Let's reverse the question then and ask what qualifications did Keir Hardie, Ramsey McDonald, Clement Attlee, Aneurin Bevan, Alan Johnson and John Prescott have that made them qualify as MP's and for 2 of them Prime Minister?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 41
KingstonMariner
April 17, 2020, 2:10pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

Yes I do. I think it's too easy to target MP's and CEO's and forget that footballers in the Premiersh*t earn considerably more and are adored in the process r. It's a strange society that values a sportsperson more than their representative in Parliament who has influence on their' everyday life. A previous poster mentioned most MP's having second homes but I think that is more of a minority. I don't think our two local MP's are rolling in it or our previous Labour MP. What I would say to anyone who holds  these critical views of MP's as a generalisation is if it is so lucrative and easy then why aren't they doing it. Let's face it if Martin Vickers or Melanie Onn could get into politics through local means then anybody can.

Of course they’re rich. Never mind £100k a week, people would consider anyone on £100k a year rich -  it would certainly put them in the top few percent (although the highest paid’s income would dwarf that).

I completely agree on MPs’ pay relative to top footballers etc. Whilst we want people who are dedicated to serving I wouldn’t want able people (and lets face it many of them are able) to decide it wasn’t for them because the rewards on offer in the law or business were much greater and they owed it to their families to pursue their careers elsewhere.

But regarding the relative value society puts on CEOs, MPs etc, compared to premiership footballers, well that’s a problem created by a market economy.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 41
norfuk mariner
April 17, 2020, 2:21pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +200
Gold Stars: 2
Meanwhile : down the road Mr Swann has upset Gary Neville with a reprehensible suggestion.

Gary Neville launched a stinging verbal attack on League Two rival Peter Swann after the Scunthorpe United chairman called for footballers’ wages to be suspended until matches resume.
The former Manchester United and England star accused Swann of actions that “bordered on disgusting” after he called for clubs to stop payments in light of the coronavirus crisis, which has seen all matches across the country – the main source of income for football clubs – suspended until further notice.
Speaking to ITV, Scunthorpe majority shareholder Swann said: “I feel if the league is suspended then the players wages should be suspended until the resumption of full training and a resumption date confirmed.
“The players then need to approach the PFA (Professional Footballers’ Association), EFL (English Football League) and FA (Football Association) for support during the suspension time.”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 41
Abdul19
April 17, 2020, 4:04pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,576
But isn't that what furloughing is for?  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 41
norfuk mariner
April 17, 2020, 5:02pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +200
Gold Stars: 2
I suspect that 20% of the Scunt wage bill is still a large wedge for  Swann to save.

Newport furloughed their players yesterday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 41
toontown
April 18, 2020, 5:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from norfuk mariner
I suspect that 20% of the Scunt wage bill is still a large wedge for  Swann to save.

Newport furloughed their players yesterday.

It will be  a lot more than 20% he has to fund. The furlough pays 80% UP TO 30K A YEAR (equivalent of about £600 a week). Players on more than 600 a week will need their wages topping up. Given the money they were losing even in league 1 with (albeit small) crowds he must be losing a fortune every week as football contracts have to be paid in full. All club's will be in trouble until a deal cam be arranged on pay cuts. Has that still not happened?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 41
Gaffer58
April 18, 2020, 5:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Correct me if I’m wrong but, I don’t believe the PFA have sorted the premiership players yet, though they seemed quite happy to have got a deal for the EFL players. Those poor darlings in the premiership eventually might have to take a cut or deferral eventually, how will they cope?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 41
golfer
April 18, 2020, 6:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from KingstonMariner

It’d be much fcuking simpler if more was taken from the rich through tax. Then we wouldn’t have this balderdash about who should give what and constant charity drives especially those fronted by celebs.

They say if you tax the rich they'll fcuck off but to help pay for the 2nd world war they were taxed 83p in the £  and they didn't fcuck off then - they just stayed and got richer out of us lot. Nobody needs more than £10million- you can still live on the interest on that - so anything over £10million just take it off them. If they have got most of their millions in hidden accounts lock them up until they pay up - and fcuck Piers Morgan as well --so there that's off my chest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 41
KingstonMariner
April 18, 2020, 7:24pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Quoted from golfer

They say if you tax the rich they'll fcuck off but to help pay for the 2nd world war they were taxed 83p in the £  and they didn't fcuck off then - they just stayed and got richer out of us lot. Nobody needs more than £10million- you can still live on the interest on that - so anything over £10million just take it off them. If they have got most of their millions in hidden accounts lock them up until they pay up - and fcuck Piers Morgan as well --so there that's off my chest.

That war debt has been bothering me a bit lately Golfer. The Hun never finished paying for WWI, and we paid what we owed the Yanks for that, then added on the debt for WWII to the so-called Arsenal of Democracy, while they GAVE West Germany money to help rebuild after WWII. Bstards!

But I’m not bitter nor one to bear a grudge.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Bristol Rovers

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.