Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Season re-run.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 177 Guests

Season re-run.

This thread currently has 1,234 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Sir Matt Tease
April 10, 2020, 10:12am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +293
Gold Stars: 31
Like most of you on here I am suffering withdrawal symptoms from my weekly football fix. During a recent loft clear out I came across a diary that I kept of the 1971-1972 promotion season under Big Lawrie McMenemy. It covers all games in chronological order featuring reports, pictures, goal scorers and attendances etc etc. I wondered if any of you on here would like me to do a daily/weekly upload of the season on a game by game basis. It would be an opportunity for the younger fans to experience that fantastic season and also the chance for the old gits like me to reminisce over what was a fabulous time to be a Town fan. The only problem I have is that I am a technophobe and would need advice on uploading pictures etc.

Let me know what you think or if you feel it is something best left in the past.

UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
chipsandgravy
April 10, 2020, 10:28am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease
Like most of you on here I am suffering withdrawal symptoms from my weekly football fix. During a recent loft clear out I came across a diary that I kept of the 1971-1972 promotion season under Big Lawrie McMenemy. It covers all games in chronological order featuring reports, pictures, goal scorers and attendances etc etc. I wondered if any of you on here would like me to do a daily/weekly upload of the season on a game by game basis. It would be an opportunity for the younger fans to experience that fantastic season and also the chance for the old gits like me to reminisce over what was a fabulous time to be a Town fan. The only problem I have is that I am a technophobe and would need advice on uploading pictures etc.

Let me know what you think or if you feel it is something best left in the past.

UTM.

My goodness..."you were clearing the loft"?  You kept a diary? Hardly recognise you!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
Sir Matt Tease
April 10, 2020, 10:56am
Snakebite drinker
I take it that you've got nothing to do either Chips !!!!!!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
jock dock tower
April 10, 2020, 11:12am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Sir Matt, I think that would be great, and it would give all us other oldies to join in. Will never, ever, forget 71-2 - the defining football season of my life.

Don't forget to comment on which coaches etc you went to the away games etc as well? Enjoyed going on the old Scaffa bus, one run by Pete Braithwaite, plus the very odd trip on the Town supporters bus.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 9
Sir Matt Tease
April 10, 2020, 11:33am
Snakebite drinker
Thanks JDT, saw nearly every home game in this season but not as many away. However a few years later, around 74 onwards I spent a lot of time at away games with the Braithwaites both Pete and John and could tell many a tale of the away day escapades as you could probably recount yourself  !!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
jock dock tower
April 10, 2020, 12:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
As a second year apprentice at Britsh United Trawlers back in the day, it  was the first time I'd had decent disposable income, and most of it went on drink and Town. Great away days.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
TownSNAFU5
April 10, 2020, 2:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
I would publish one game every month as we don’t know how long the impact of this virus will last.

We have waited nearly 50 years to hear about that great season, so you could keep us in suspense.
πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
chipsandgravy
April 10, 2020, 2:37pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,632
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease
I take it that you've got nothing to do either Chips !!!!!!  

Nope!! Apart from Footy Manager. Go for it mate!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
Rodley Mariner
April 10, 2020, 2:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Gold Stars: 178
Sounds great. Born in 79 so before my time but would definitely read it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
toontown
April 11, 2020, 2:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Yeah do one game a day maybe?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Season re-run.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.