arryarryarry
March 15, 2020, 10:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
This came up on the British Culture Archive yesterday, highly recommend a follow on social media for some great photo's from the past. Quite the extensive set up what with the grandstand and all. Never really got Subbuteo myself, just seemed a bit of a faff although I'm sure I saw it being played on Eurosport a couple of years ago, but they did show absolutely anything they could get the rights for.

[IMG]https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/89826925_208519610499139_8500320739319087104_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=CI7GDoOphjkAX_3ktpH&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=0ff4685af024341966b4341c5880b980&oe=5E9289EA[/IMG]

I and a few friends formed a mini league, I won it.

I made my own stands out of cardboard to look like Blundell Park.  
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
KingstonMariner
March 15, 2020, 10:52am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
This came up on the British Culture Archive yesterday, highly recommend a follow on social media for some great photo's from the past. Quite the extensive set up what with the grandstand and all. Never really got Subbuteo myself, just seemed a bit of a faff although I'm sure I saw it being played on Eurosport a couple of years ago, but they did show absolutely anything they could get the rights for.

[IMG]https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/89826925_208519610499139_8500320739319087104_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=CI7GDoOphjkAX_3ktpH&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=0ff4685af024341966b4341c5880b980&oe=5E9289EA[/IMG]

Hardly anyone at that game. Poor show. Is it the Emptyhad?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 37
arryarryarry
March 15, 2020, 10:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,037
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Hardly anyone at that game. Poor show. Is it the Emptyhad?

A behind closed doors game due to some sort of virus?
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
KingstonMariner
March 15, 2020, 11:00am
Meths Drinker
Quoted from rancido
I used to really like subuteo. When I was in my teens, myself and a few friends formed a league. We named the teams after connections with our names or workplaces. One guy worked at Titans so his team was Titanham Hotspurs! We also picked crazy names for the played such as Beau "Dread" Lox, B A Stard and Hermonogies H Thrukrutes (a character in a Spike Milligan book). It was all totally insane but good fun.

Excellent stuff!

My elder brother had it. As you could move the pitch around he named his team Portable Rovers who naturally played at Portable Road. The original teams he had were the old models in which the plastic players had a tab under their feet which slotted into the base. One of the players wasn’t glued down properly so he kept falling off his base. This player became his club captain and was honoured with the name of Sir Stanley Dropbottom.

Not being as good being the younger brother, my team was like a pub team in comparison so I adopted the name of Cross Keys (after the old pub on Cleethorpes High Street - sadly closed before I was old enough).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 37
Mayaman
March 15, 2020, 11:05am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
The subbuteo photo is of Scunny as the ground is half empty.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
Mayaman
March 15, 2020, 11:12am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
The subbuteo  Town strip was the same as Newcastle and Notts Co. I painted the socks red.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
Posh Harry
March 15, 2020, 11:16am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,369
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from rancido
Here's a piece of useless information! The guy who invented Subuteo, originally wanted to call it The Hobby but that name was already registered. So, being a bit of a a bird watcher, he noticed that the Latin name for the small falcon called the Hobby was Falco Subuteo. So he adopted that name.

Toptastic fact rancido!

Used to love playing as a kid. Had a league with friends and we would even go to each other’s houses so we could play home and away. I produce a handwritten (well it would be in those days) football newspaper as well giving reports on all the games.

God, life was so simple it the 70’s!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
Ipswin
March 15, 2020, 11:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I still have the medals we handed out for our league and cup competitions in our 4 team Subbuteo league.

Housed in 'Three Torches' matchboxes (remember those?) on cotton wool they were actually 'World Cup Willy game' coins (remember those?)

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
rancido
March 15, 2020, 12:17pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Excellent stuff!

My elder brother had it. As you could move the pitch around he named his team Portable Rovers who naturally played at Portable Road. The original teams he had were the old models in which the plastic players had a tab under their feet which slotted into the base. One of the players wasn’t glued down properly so he kept falling off his base. This player became his club captain and was honoured with the name of Sir Stanley Dropbottom.

Not being as good being the younger brother, my team was like a pub team in comparison so I adopted the name of Cross Keys (after the old pub on Cleethorpes High Street - sadly closed before I was old enough).

Great ! So me and my mates weren't the only mad ones around playing Subuteo. I remember the flat plastic players from a set that my brother had and I also recall one or two flat cardboard ones that my eldest brother , who is 84 now , used to have.
Mine were the solid plastic figures. On the subject of naming players , I took one, cut his head off, painted the remaining stump with red paint and called him Ed Missing! He had a lethal left foot but was no good in the air! My mates thought I had gone too far at that point and accused me of not taking the game seriously enough.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 37
KingstonMariner
March 15, 2020, 12:38pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Great ! So me and my mates weren't the only mad ones around playing Subuteo. I remember the flat plastic players from a set that my brother had and I also recall one or two flat cardboard ones that my eldest brother , who is 84 now , used to have.
Mine were the solid plastic figures. On the subject of naming players , I took one, cut his head off, painted the remaining stump with red paint and called him Ed Missing! He had a lethal left foot but was no good in the air! My mates thought I had gone too far at that point and accused me of not taking the game seriously enough.

Not by a long chalk. I had my Airfix Guards Band ‘play’ on the pitch before a cup final.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Subbuteo

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.