Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Bigdog

That was funny. All round funny.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 54
Mariner_09
March 7, 2020, 10:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
The first half was as poor a spectacle as I think I've ever seen. Both teams for awful, all that happened were hundreds of throw ins from both sides down our left hand side. It was just boring.

We were rarely troubled all game. I've seen fewer games than I reckon to this season but FWIW Scunny, along with Mansfield, were as poor as anything I've seen all season. They'll need to sign some better players in the summer otherwise they're in big trouble next season. They were awful.

I heard Wilcox saying that he thought Waterfall's tackle was a red, it looked like a 50/50 to me. I didn't think their's was a red at first glace either but everyone else seems to have a view to the contrary so I'm probably wrong!

I still think we missed Hanson, particularly in the first half when the ball just wouldn't stick up front. But Waterfall was excellent, Hewitt had as good a game as I've seen him have. Chas strikes fear into every player he runs at. But the marking was non-existent for his goal and it looked very simple for Waterfall to nod home. We played way better in the home game and got burgurled.

Aside from taking an hour to get out of the car park it was a brilliant afternoon.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 54
Rik e B
March 7, 2020, 11:17pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
"Grimsby fans are on another level compared to Scunthorpe fans".

Yes, we know. 😏
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 54
moosey_club
March 8, 2020, 12:32am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
So there were even less Scunny fans than initially thought with those 2 tourists.......liked the bit as the teams walked out to the song high ho silver lining and you heard him shout "Aston Villa" ....  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 54
Marinerz93
March 8, 2020, 11:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Rik e B
"Grimsby fans are on another level compared to Scunthorpe fans".

Yes, we know. 😏

Something we hear from neutrals alot when they cover our games which nice to hear and just reaffirms what we already know.  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 54
diehardmariner
March 9, 2020, 10:09am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
First half was an absolute shocker of an advert for League Two football.  Few 'hooof' chants from the Town end but it was a case of glasshouses really as we weren't exactly knocking about in a silky manner.

Was glad to get to the break goalless so Holloway could give them a bit of a bollocking for just hitting and hoping.  Second half we knocked about much better but you could certainly tell the confidence was knocked from the recent defeats.  

When we did play it about properly, Scunny couldn't live with us and we highlighted that they're a quite poor side really.  Van Veen up front was all the had and he looked below par.  Wasn't really happy with the selection at the start of the day.  I thought the midfield would lack enough bite for a derby game and also any creativity to play our natural (or what we're trying to make our natural) game.  Thought we missed Benson's quick passing with Grandin hit and miss and Whitehouse largely anonymous.  But Hewitt was magnificent in that holding role, my MOTM by a mile.

At the back we looked so much better when Pollock came on.  I don't care about his age, he's our best defender.  Loved seeing Andy Butler trying to bully him and then running away with his tail between his legs.  

Clarke led the line really well and his first touch is a joy to watch.  Neither Vernam or Wright got involved in the game enough for my liking, more due to a lack of service at times but Vernam took his goal well and neither let the side down.

Special mention to Tilley who was superb when he came on at left-back.  Doesn't look his natural position and at times you could tell me was more eager to get forward but he was solid and kept their right side (which was by far their strongest) quiet.  I don't think the challenge on Glennon was a foul, just a strong challenge after Glennon got the ball caught in his feet.   No doubt on the red card, stupid challenge by their led and deservedly walked.  

Policing wise it was a bit farcical getting out of the ground but then there was enough idiots posturing, pointing and rattling fences on each side to give justification for any holding back of any fans.  Amused me the amount of people moaning that the police were holding fans back and then in the next breath making weak attempts at pushing a fence over....
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 54
Mariner Timsky
March 9, 2020, 1:40pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
Did Ollie not come over to the Town fans after the final whistle??

Watching his post match I got the feeling he wasn't too happy, not just with the bad tackles and thuggery from the Scunny players but overall he just seemed a tad subdued maybe

Did anyone else pick up on this?? He also made some comments about celebrating - I get the impression he wasn't happy with our players celebrating the way they did

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 54
Northbank Mariner
March 9, 2020, 2:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

Watching his post match I got the feeling he wasn't too happy, not just with the bad tackles and thuggery from the Scunny players but overall he just seemed a tad subdued maybe

Did anyone else pick up on this?? He also made some comments about celebrating - I get the impression he wasn't happy with our players celebrating the way they did

I've said it before, he had the nouse to not come over.
We were all ready revved up and didn't need a reason to overspill.
I think the frustration Ollie is feeling is one we've all complained about over recent years, that being the substandard level and competence of the officials in lower league football..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 54
arryarryarry
March 9, 2020, 5:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 117

Not the impression I got. There were the comments he made about Van Whatshisname, also their fat illegitimate of a goal keeping coach said some dozy things before the game and there was trouble between the benches at the sending off so I thought he just didn't want to look like gloating at the end of the game.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 54
Limerick Mariner
March 9, 2020, 8:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,727
Gold Stars: 137

Really smart from Ollie and shows what class act he is. He'd raised the stakes with KVV which I think he regretted and he apologised. The sending off had overheated things a bit and Limbrick was booked. We'd got the result we deserved and the situation didn't need him dancing about in front of the celebrating fans, he just left it to the players and I don't think the players were OTT. The man is a real quality operator...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 54
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.