Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Maybe.....
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 232 Guests

Maybe.....

This thread currently has 6,861 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
cannylad68
March 4, 2020, 8:30am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
I think IH should decide on his best 2 centre backs and stick with them for the rest of the season, to try to get some understanding between them.
Last night you could have driven a bus through our defence.
Where was man to man marking?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 41
Rodley Mariner
March 4, 2020, 8:33am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,257
Gold Stars: 178
I think most people think Hess is decent because he protects the back 4, wins a lot of tackles, picks up a lot of second ball and is disciplined positionally. If people don't want one player like that in our league 2 midfield because he can't play a defence splitting pass then they should be prepared to concede plenty of goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 41
geir
March 4, 2020, 8:34am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9
After the game played last weekend IH admitted that the season probably was over. He also said that he believed we were safe from relegation. So we are a mid-table team and he wants to try different players and combinations of them to look at next season. That`s why we get some poor results. All is probably done so he can make the best decisions for next season.
This don`t get me down one bit, and you shouldn`t either...

UTMM

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 41
BenBB
March 4, 2020, 8:52am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +844
Gold Stars: 30
I think what IH said on the post-match interview from last night says it all

"I'm having to find tactics to help my team, they're staying with the same"

Clearly he knows his team is not good enough and wants some stability after the summer

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 41
lew chaterleys lover
March 4, 2020, 8:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from marinerjase

The last sentence....it didn’t do Ray Wilkins any harm..

I think surrounded by international standard players helped with that. Hess is passing sideways and backwards to poor standard league 2 players so is not achieving owt.

In a much better team he might be ok.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 41
jamesgtfc
March 4, 2020, 9:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Hess is a great player at this level. Good engine, disciplined and wins important interceptions. He is consistently top of the tackling statistics for the league.

As IH famously said, every team needs a piano player and a piano carrier in the middle. IH was a piano carrier and Hess is no different.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 41
March 4, 2020, 9:44am
Guest User
Quoted from aldi_01

Equally, he seems to be persevering with players that are blatantly not good enough...

He doesn't have a lot of choice atm, seeing as the transfer window is closed.

Reply: 16 - 41
Mariner Timsky
March 4, 2020, 9:47am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
I think its more about opinion of who he is starting currently and who he is leaving out - rather than the issue of the window being closed

Be nice now with 10 games to go that more of a consistent side can be played and we can end the season with a decent finish - but who flipping knows what Ollie will do!

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 41
Ipswin
March 4, 2020, 9:58am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from 123614

He doesn't have a lot of choice atm, seeing as the transfer window is closed.

Bloody hell don't give him any more to choose from - he'll be making 11 changes every week!

Pick a team and stick with it for the rest of the season, bearing in mind 1) that loanees probably won't be here next year so don't look to build on them for next year and 2) he must have a good idea who is staying and who is going by now.

We are going to struggle to score without Hanson but at least we can try to steady things up at the back especially at CB so we don't concede too many

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 41
diehardmariner
March 4, 2020, 10:01am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
The problem is that we all probably got a little bit excited with a good run of form and started to believe we might sneak into the play-offs.

With that, it's frustrating that Holloway has then tweaked the team and made changes galore in consecutive weeks to do what he feels is the priority and get the side ready for next season, as part of that he needs to assess everyone.  We've all got opinions on the likes of Green, but Holloway is still forming them. I was frustrated that he didn't play Clarke down the middle but I suppose if Holloway is seeing him in another position for next season, he wants to play him there now.

As fans it's getting harder to be patient because we were very patient in the Conference.  We had year on year failure and coming up short before we fell over the line.  Once we got promotion, we then realised that we needed to break that team up to move forward, we then had Bignot and had a period of transition again, we then had Slade who was brought in with a remit to tighten the ship both on and off the field, then we had Jolley who was supposed to be bringing about complete change across the club.  Her inherited a poor team so we knew patience was needed, I think the acceptance was for 3 transfer windows....

None of the above is Holloway's fault.  He's largely inherited a poor squad that's imbalanced, lacks pace, lacks goals and lacks creativity.  There's no arguing that it needs overhauling (again!).  Holloway has papered over the cracks a bit and his personality as much as his style of play has probably masked our problems a little bit.  He's brought in players who've improved us but it's still not enough.  

This summer will be another one of change.  Holloway wants to play a very, very different way to Jolley.  Of the current squad there's only a handful who are probably capable of playing that way.  

I'm hoping that Holloway has made up his mind about the majority of players and if he wants to keep or bin them. Then we can start to get a glimpse of what next season will look like.  I don't expect us to win all of our remaining games but Holloway probably needs to realise the expectations of fans is high and needs to keep that.  It's partly about managing those expectations but it's about indulging them a little too to maintain interest.  
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 41
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Maybe.....

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.