5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
mimma
March 3, 2020, 7:57am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
It seems that the council are in talks with the government over some funding for the Freeman Street stadium project.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/council-reveals-funding-talks-new-3907043

Step in the right direction?
Logged Offline
Private Message
MuddyWaters
March 3, 2020, 8:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from mimma
It seems that the council are in talks with the government over some funding for the Freeman Street stadium project.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/council-reveals-funding-talks-new-3907043

Deputy council leader JF asks Boris very nicely 'Can I please have £25 million for a new footy pitch for the local football club.......which I happen to own?'

Worth a try, I guess.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 45
PoutonStepover
March 3, 2020, 8:56am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +107
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Deputy council leader JF asks Boris very nicely 'Can I please have £25 million for a new footy pitch for the local football club.......which I happen to own?'

Worth a try, I guess.

But I’m conveniently no longer chairman of 🤷🏼‍♂️

For all the abuse Fenty gets I actually like the fella, and if he pulls an effectively free new stadium out the bag here, after bringing Ollie in, then stepping down to avoid the conflict of interest.....it will be nothing short of a masterstroke.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 45
aldi_01
March 3, 2020, 8:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Haven’t we been over the conflict of interest thing already...it makes no difference. He owns the club...natural conflict.

Ya can go cap in hand to the government for cash but it takes time. One would’ve hoped these things would’ve been applied for and been planned for already...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 45
ska face
March 3, 2020, 9:01am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from mimma

“ Leader of North East Lincolnshire Council, Councillor Philip Jackson said no cash earmarked for the Great Grimsby Town Deal will be used to support the plan for a new community stadium.”

So exactly what I said ages ago...

“But during the visit by Communities Secretary Robert Jenrick to Grimsby to promote the Government's £3.6billion Towns Fund yesterday, the Leader said North East Lincolnshire Council will be bidding for a large share of those Central Government funds”

So the council are in exactly the same position as every other council in the country in that they can BID for a handout from the Bread & Circuses fund for some improvements to their towns.

The PR trip appears to have had the desired effect though, people getting excited about precisely nothing...

Private Message
Reply: 4 - 45
aldi_01
March 3, 2020, 9:07am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
You old cynic you...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 45
ska face
March 3, 2020, 9:19am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
The telegraph aren’t daft, they know that GTFC are almost the only thing in town that will get regular traffic through their junk website, so anything they can tie in to the club or the new stadium is perfect for them.

“£3m for a new footbridge and road improvements” is a harder sell, especially when you’re there to write puff pieces for the Tories.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 45
lew chaterleys lover
March 3, 2020, 10:35am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from aldi_01
Haven’t we been over the conflict of interest thing already...it makes no difference. He owns the club...natural conflict.

Ya can go cap in hand to the government for cash but it takes time. One would’ve hoped these things would’ve been applied for and been planned for already...

Nothing is in place. Zero. Just a wish list that they hope the government will pay for.

Funds like these are notoriously difficult to get put in place with all the hoops you have to jump through.

Councillor Jackson says a lot but has anything ever been started let alone finished? All the buzz words are in there but it would be nice if we had a clear plan about what exactly they are trying to achieve.  Everything always seems to be at the embryonic stage.

Every street I walk down even close to the town centre looks like a tip with litter everywhere so if they cant sort that out I wouldn't trust them with fantasy regeneration.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 45
ginnywings
March 3, 2020, 10:59am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Can't see why the Government would stump up cash towards a football stadium, community related or not. 20 million plus is a lot of money to try and pull together and as ska pointed out, none of the current pot they have is earmarked for a new ground. I just can't see where the funding is going to come from. Hope i'm wrong...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 45
March 3, 2020, 11:12am
Guest User
get rid of HS2  and there would be billions available.
Reply: 9 - 45
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › new stadium funding

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.