moosey_club
February 17, 2020, 7:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,294
Gold Stars: 226
Up The Mariners - Pisces

The original Town song that is uniquely ours and therefore should be the only consideration in my opinion.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 44
blundellpork
February 17, 2020, 10:55pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,665
Gold Stars: 32
There have been plenty of times were we have run out to a trumpet playing, but sadly I have no idea what the song is called. Always considered that to be ‘our song’.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 44
nightrider
February 18, 2020, 12:16am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
We ran out to the classical one when I first started going to games which was 91ish
And more recently

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 44
Manchester Mariner
February 18, 2020, 11:04am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
I'm sure that I remember them playing 'Those magnificent men in their flying machines' after a match if we had won in the late 80's, can't remember if they played it on the run out or if I dreamt them playing it at all.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 44
Rik e B
February 18, 2020, 5:46pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
"The boys are back in town" sits in my affections as it was always played when I first started going '95 and gave me goosebumps
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 44
February 18, 2020, 6:08pm
Guest User
Some nice ideas, but shouldn't the music inspire our team and intimidate the opposition.  Eg. Birmingham  prolonged version of" we will rock you".  The begining of the track repeated for at least 3 minutes before the teams come out.
Reply: 35 - 44
HackneyHaddock
February 18, 2020, 11:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
To get back to the original question from the OP to help with their research, I can definitely remember Town running out to the Toreador Song from Carmen by Georges Bizet, during the Buckley promotions in the early 90s.  I also seem to remember the club using "Anchors Aweigh" from the film of the same name (and the US Navy March) around the same time though it didn't catch on.  Mid 90s was Thin Lizzy's "The Boys are Back in Town".

Off topic but on thread, we did used to have at the end of matches in the late 80s/early 90s, either "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines" (following a victory) or "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" (after a defeat).  I always remember getting back to the car radio or listening to the transistor on the bus, and hearing "Out of the Blue", the BBC Sports Report music at 5pm, so feel this would make a great victory tune if we win as I associate it with warm spring evenings going down Grimsby Road after another Buckley win.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 44
joe56
February 19, 2020, 12:05am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
To get back to the original question from the OP to help with their research, I can definitely remember Town running out to the Toreador Song from Carmen by Georges Bizet, during the Buckley promotions in the early 90s.  I also seem to remember the club using "Anchors Aweigh" from the film of the same name (and the US Navy March) around the same time though it didn't catch on.  Mid 90s was Thin Lizzy's "The Boys are Back in Town".

Off topic but on thread, we did used to have at the end of matches in the late 80s/early 90s, either "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines" (following a victory) or "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" (after a defeat).  I always remember getting back to the car radio or listening to the transistor on the bus, and hearing "Out of the Blue", the BBC Sports Report music at 5pm, so feel this would make a great victory tune if we win as I associate it with warm spring evenings going down Grimsby Road after another Buckley win.

You’re right about “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life”. After enduring it for about five games running during a bad spell, I suggested to Tony Richardson that the joke was wearing a bit thin, and it was actually becoming quite depressing. We never heard it again after that, thank goodness!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 44
Rik e B
February 19, 2020, 1:09am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Quoted from 140348
Some nice ideas, but shouldn't the music inspire our team and intimidate the opposition.  

What with our sound system?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 44
Perkins
February 19, 2020, 11:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
" See the Mariners" by local Grimsby band Good News was played a few times as i remember.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Music Grimsby have run out to

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.