chaos33
November 28, 2019, 7:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,981
Gold Stars: 361
Quoted from heppy88
I believe a tipping point has been reached.
Fans are just sick of the mediocrity surrounding the club. How many more seasons of "nothing to play for by November" do we have to put up with?
New season, new manager,  new squad and repeat. Over and over. Makes me laugh thinking about all the posters on here when we finally got promoted. All you ever read was " consolidation this" and " building that" and then the false promises of Bignot, Slade, Jolley.........of Fenty.
For the first time in my 40 years supporting town I walked out at half time last night. Sat in a soulless ground with an attendance less than season tickets sold, watching a team, many of the names of which will be a distant memory in a year or two. No, too many false promises of promotion pushes, takeover bids, new stadiums.....all balderdash. Anyone would think the club was run by a politician!
I don't mind admitting I actually enjoyed the last couple of years in the conference. There was a togetherness, true belief and a palpable feeling of excitement. It was by no means perfect but we felt a connection with the team and a shared belief that promotion was ours for the taking and with that a hopefulness, an excitement for the approaching years back in the league. If Rovers could get back to back promotions then surely so could the Mighty Mariners?  
I envy those who posted on the "just back" thread on Tuesday night. With their positivity and hope that we may have just turned a corner, celebrating a clean sheet and 00 draw with the mighty Cheltenham at home. ........

This.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 65
Davec
November 28, 2019, 7:15am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
we need a few wins to make attendances pick up, playing well against Cheltenham but not scoring will not entice people back, but a winning team and ideally good football will, if we do not get a few wins soon attendances will be even less and season ticket sales for next season could even be at an all time record low.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 65
supertown
November 28, 2019, 7:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,461
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from forza ivano

What bollox.weve been to palace n Chelsea in this calendar year alone never did that in 6 years of non league  shite. If u prefer coalville chasetown ebbsfleet hayes bath  hyde altrincham nuneaton tamworth n a whole load if others I could mention then u must have a screw loose

How is cherry picking a couple of cup games making our league form any better . Incidentally we got hammered in one of them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 65
golfer
November 28, 2019, 8:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118

Next time it rains on a Tuesday it might be just 2000.

I don't think you can be complacent. If we don't suddenly start winning, or something happens to stir some interest the attendance for the remainder of the season could be terrible.

I agree with posters that say a change at the top is the only thing to really galvanise the club, but that looks as unlikely as ever so we need to do something on the playing side sharpish.

I agree-I was just trying to give a few MORE reasons why it was a low attendance. At one time we would scramble through a foot of snow to see Town. I remember Duncan Welbourne doing his famous sliding tackles through snow drifts at BP-don't think we will see anything of the like again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 65
cannylad68
November 28, 2019, 8:52am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Only making a statement.
My first match at BP was in 1950.
I have always been a loyal supporter, but when we were relegated to the Conference, I stopped attending the matches, thinking I would return whenever we got back into the Football League.
Guess what, I haven't.
The point I am making is that it is almost impossible to regain lost supporters unless ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 65
wiggers
November 28, 2019, 9:09am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +469
Gold Stars: 11
Why I’m not going is for a combination of reasons tbh. Work and being away at weekends when Town have been at home have meant I haven’t had the option to attend my times. But speaking to friends and family who have been, I have to say for the first time in a long time I’m really not bothered that I’ve yet to step foot inside BP this season. When Jolley went I thought this would give me the incentive to go, I watched the Newport game on the telly, it was absolutely dire. Personally I feel we need a new manager to come in to lift us all again. With Limbrick in charge it doesn’t feel any different. Jolley minus the suit. Surely with all the applicants that JF has had there must be at least one to get us all believing again..... Div 2 football shouldn’t be this complicated
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 65
ginnywings
November 28, 2019, 9:37am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
There were some mitigating factors on the night. Tues/Weds night games are always slightly down on attendances as a rule, plus there was the foul weather, the recent poor run of results, and the dire football that seems to go hand in hand with it. The fact it was on iFollow and the opposition not being much of a draw all helped to lower the figures, but i was genuinely shocked at how low it was. Thought it would be the low to mid 3000's. I'm also surprised to learn that we only sold 2700 season tickets this season, as i assumed it was the usual 3000, so that's a 10% drop in sales before the season had even kicked off. The usual poor form and manager under pressure we see repeated year on year has just confirmed to former die hards such as myself and my brother, that nothing has changed and we were not missing much by our decision to not purchase one for the current season.

Like heppy, i think we are at a tipping point. A lot of former long term fans such as myself have just drifted away and are not seeing anything that wants to drag us back. The longer this goes on, the less i miss going to BP, and i suspect others feel the same way. All i hear when i discuss Town is how interminably boring it is, with the same lack of drive, urgency and a plan for success repeating season after season.

For me, going to BP had become a chore and a duty which left me feeling mostly frustrated, sad and usually in a foul mood. It's not even so much about the results, as the poor all round experience and dire football on offer. Neither is it because i don't care, it's because i care too much. Giving up weekends to watch Town, when i could be somewhere else doing more enjoyable stuff, just became too much of a compromise for me. I could have gone Tues night and did consider it, but to be honest, i was in my workshop and i completely forgot about the game until kick off time. That would never have happened in the past. My brother would have been texting asking where we were meeting up, but he has stopped going also. Nearly a hundred seasons support between us, and we just can't face it at the moment.

I hope this is our Lincoln before the Cowley's period, and we get someone in who turns the club around like they did. I'm not just talking about a manager here, but others coming onto the board as well with fresh ideas and impetus. It feels like we are on life support at the moment, with the club ticking over financially in a holding pattern, waiting for someone else to pick up the baton and run with it. JF wants out, we know that, so his thoughts are just to keep the status quo, keep the books balanced and wait for something to happen. We are all waiting for something that never arrives.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 65
Northbank Mariner
November 28, 2019, 9:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
Welcome to Bury in the making with the current attitude I'm afraid...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 65
supertown
November 28, 2019, 9:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,461
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Really? What you basing that on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 65
ginnywings
November 28, 2019, 9:49am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

You can keep blaming the fans, but ultimately, it was the board who did for Bury. At least they got to see a promotion season before the sh1t hit the fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 65
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Last night's attendance

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.