Northbank Mariner
October 6, 2019, 10:27am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,525
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Croxton
The Max Wright injury was the biggest issue in a multifactoral non performance. We failed to ;-

1. Replace pace with pace to stretch their defence, win corners, throws and set pieces.

2. Take early chances against a ponderous back line.

3. Avoid unnecessary 'fouls' giving cheap set pieces away especially at the end of games.

4. Put in testing free kicks of our own. Some real shockers.

5. Cross when we have a good opportunity. How many times does Hanson have to reset his run?

6. Gamble at the far post a la Kevin Ellison. We get in each others way on the penalty spot.

7. Shoot early sometimes. Too many touches taken all over the park.

8. Stop Green doing media interviews. They seem to jinx his game terribly.

Just picked up the 2 highlighted points as these are quite poignant imho...we never seem to take the odd pot shots from outside the box, couple of times Cook had the chance to shoot and just turned and passed out to the wing, it's almost like they are being told not to do anything other than get the ball out wide, even if you have a shooting opportunity, and get crossed into Hanson.....
Mansfield were their for the taking yesterday, certainly in the first 25 minutes but we failed to put on pressure on their defence and for that reason I have to put the fault down to ponderous decision making and a lack of a game plan that would actually work against a terrible, dirty and ugly football team/referee...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 52
HertsGTFC
October 6, 2019, 11:40am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Lots of really good stuff posted above and it feels like a balance between a ref that was easily influenced and had no control, cheating opposition and Town’s poor reaction to Max going off and them going down to 10.

Only thing I’ll add is that if there was ever the case for an outfield skipper it was yesterday no disrespect to Macca as he’s one of my hero’s on and off the pitch but if ever we needed a Dis or Grovesy like player to lead the side to pas the opposing 10 men out of the game it was yesterday.

All that said we’ll done to Macca at the end he absolutely aligns with us as he too is “so proud to be GTFC”.

Learning for everyone move on to next week.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 52
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 6, 2019, 11:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Lots of really good stuff posted above and it feels like a balance between a ref that was easily influenced and had no control, cheating opposition and Town’s poor reaction to Max going off and them going down to 10.

Only thing I’ll add is that if there was ever the case for an outfield skipper it was yesterday no disrespect to Macca as he’s one of my hero’s on and off the pitch but if ever we needed a Dis or Grovesy like player to lead the side to pas the opposing 10 men out of the game it was yesterday.

All that said we’ll done to Macca at the end he absolutely aligns with us as he too is “so proud to be GTFC”.

Learning for everyone move on to next week.

Agree about the captain. Perhaps Macca got the nod because he is most likely to be out there for every game? But I would rather have a driving force further upfield really. These tight games are when that can be a crucial plus.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 52
MuddyWaters
October 6, 2019, 12:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Still angry this morning. Not necessarily at the ref but more at our inability to put a poor Mansfield side away. Max's injury disrupted us massively and we could have done with replacing pace with pace (Akheem or the seemingly out of favour/not even on the bench Vernam).

We are clearly capable of much better than the last hour yesterday but our decision-making both on and off the pitch were pretty poor yesterday.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 52
louth_in_the_south
October 6, 2019, 12:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 96
League 2 summed up in nut shell . Win away one week against the league leaders and lose at home the next against a team of knob. .ends

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 52
October 6, 2019, 1:46pm
Guest User
Was Andy Cook getting some grief? Surprised at his reaction - not like he left under a cloud and many wanted him back when the rumours flew over summer. Disappointing.

More importantly how bad was Max’s injury?

Never liked Mansfield. Shitty team full of flipping cloggers.
Reply: 35 - 52
mimma
October 6, 2019, 1:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
Just one point from reading the sensible posts on this thread. If they put three players on Hanson, then that leaves them players short elsewhere. They nullified Hanson yet we still pumped balls up to him instead of using the gaps he made, even after they went down to ten men.

Baffling
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 52
devs
October 6, 2019, 2:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
Old Codger:
Still angry this morning. Not necessarily at the ref but more at our inability to put a poor Mansfield side away. Max's injury disrupted us massively and we could have done with replacing pace with pace (Akheem or the seemingly out of favour/not even on the bench Vernam).

We are clearly capable of much better than the last hour yesterday but our decision-making both on and off the pitch were pretty poor yesterday.

A spot on summing up...plus I would add that the same starting XI v Exeter should have started this game
Not broke - don't fix it
Too much tinkering
Get some rhythm going up top
Keep back four the same
Is MJ trying to keep senior players happy?

Trend is to tinker - why? Is it over thinking?
Hanson did OK yesterday but by playing him you go long ball too often
50/50 flick ons and challenges - keep the ball and pace would be far better
But ultimately our decision-making in final third was poor
We never worked the keeper
Shoot when should pass and vice versa
Very very frustrating against a very very average team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 52
quebec38
October 6, 2019, 2:43pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +1,588
Gold Stars: 48
That point about the captain is something I hadn’t thought about before and it didn’t cross my mind yesterday either. I think it could have made all the difference though yesterday having someone out in the middle of the pitch making sure everyone kept a calm head and as well with the referee.

And like those that said previously, nothing against Macca who I’m sure is doing a great job amongst the players. We could do with an outfield player stepping up though as well IMO.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 52
rancido
October 6, 2019, 2:54pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from quebec38
That point about the captain is something I hadn’t thought about before and it didn’t cross my mind yesterday either. I think it could have made all the difference though yesterday having someone out in the middle of the pitch making sure everyone kept a calm head and as well with the referee.

And like those that said previously, nothing against Macca who I’m sure is doing a great job amongst the players. We could do with an outfield player stepping up though as well IMO.

I've never liked the practice of having the goalie as a captain. It has to be an outfield player and preferably a central midfielder who can control the play and see what's going on all around. No slur on Macca but I don't think goalies should be captains.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.