Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 2 weeks to go......
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 221 Guests

2 weeks to go......

This thread currently has 6,778 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
AussieMariner
July 19, 2019, 6:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Rik e B
I'd rather gave grafters who do the simple stuff right, not a Sweeney-like lazy showboater. Let's face it if they're highly skilled creativity wise and plying their trade in League 2, there's gotta be flaws in other parts of their game. Usually application, determination, fitness etc. See Scott Neilson also.

And Dom Vose - classic example of a highly gifted player who just didn’t quite cut it. Shame really because on his day he looked like a proper footballer.
The legendary Dis is another example of a highly effective but maybe less creative player. I know which one I’d rather have in my team.
I tend to agree with previous posters that a creative midfielder is more a luxury at this level, and if they are also effective, as was Embleton, they will probably be destined for higher things sooner rather than later.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
ROKERITE
July 19, 2019, 7:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from jock dock tower
I'd like to think that experience Jolley will undoubtedly have garnered last season will stand him, and us, in good stead this year. If we get rid of the really poor runs there's no reason at all to think that we should not be an upper half of the table club, build on that again at the end of the season, and move on to being promotion contenders for 2020-21?

If the dreadful runs of form can be eradicated then there's reason to hope for a promotion challenge in the coming season. At the end of February the play-offs didn't seem out of the question but three points from the next nine matches scuppered that. Like you I'd be disappointed if Mr Jolley isn't a better manager for last season's experience. There are streaky managers as someone said earlier in the thread, Lee Johnson is a prime example. I'm confident that the streakiness will be confined to last season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
jamesgtfc
July 19, 2019, 7:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
I'm a bit concerned at the lack of numbers in defence. Davis played right back a few times last season but I assume Hewitt is backup right back and we have 2 left backs until January.

We currently have 3 centre backs competing for what we assume are 2 places. We need at least another CB.

Assuming it is a midfield 3 we have Whitehouse, Clifton, Hessenthaler, Hewitt, Buckley and maybe Cook. Again we probably need another body in there as a couple of injuries will see us struggling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
Lincoln Mariner 56
July 19, 2019, 7:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,765
Gold Stars: 81
Why concerned though as MJ has said he expects to make two further permanent signings plus I expect at least one further loan player will appear. I am not concerned about numbers more they will be an improvement
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
Maringer
July 19, 2019, 10:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,647
Gold Stars: 189
I assume we may look to get another one or two loanees in from higher division clubs. Seems to be the way it has gone in recent seasons. Hopefully of similar success to Embleton/Henderson.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
Grantley
July 20, 2019, 10:29am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,504
Gold Stars: 9
Just because players are creative doesn’t mean they’re lazy ffs (although Sweeney and Vose do fit that criteria).

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 2 weeks to go......

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.